Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
Rick's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 185

OK, so our plans to full time status are progressing. We have sold our house and will be moving into the Redwood on May 2nd at our summer campground in Egg Harbor, Wisconsin. I will be retiring in August and then we depart Wisconsin right after Labor Day. Will spend some time in Minneapolis, then down to Chicago and we will winter in Chattanooga with/near the grandson until it get's too cold. Then as spring approaches back to Chattanooga, Chicago, a short stay in Wisconsin for dental cleanings and physicals, some golf with friends then to Minneapolis (grandson 2) and a planned 60 day tour of Alaska via a caravan. So I ask the Wisconsin DMV what we do about our address for car registration and our driver's license since our address will now be out of state using a mail forwarding service. Below is the response I received which basically is telling me they could care less if I remain a resident. Factually I don't see us staying in any state for 6 or more months. So I am thinking I am getting a green light to register everything in South Dakota. I will be receiving about $20,000 per year for the next two years from a Wisconsin employer for some ongoing long distance employee benefit consulting so I will have to figure out how that plays into this. I would appreciate some thoughts if any of you have been there done this domicile thing.

Thanks. and my apologies for the long explanation.

<div style="line-height: 21px; ">Hello Rick and Mary Jo,</span></span><div style="line-height: 21px; ">If you want to maintain your WI license you will have to maintain an address in WI which could be an RV Park address. If you will be spending more than 6 months away from WI you will need to get a license in the state you will be in for most of the year.</span></span><div style="line-height: 21px; "></span></span><div style="line-height: 21px; ">The last option, which is typically frowned upon, is that you use a family member’s address that is in WI as your home address. The thing to know about that is that your full names will need to be on or inside that person’s mailbox.</span></span><div style="line-height: 21px; "></span></span><div style="line-height: 21px; ">Teresa</span></span></span>
2013 36 RW RL all options.2011 F 350 King Ranch DRW
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
Adamsvr's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 596
Say goodbye to WI. There are a number of States that will gladly have you as a resident without raping your retirement income. To name a few... Florida, Texas, Minnesota, and South Dakota. We choose South Dakota because it doesn't have a State Tax on your retirement income; does not require more than one night in a campground or hotel to become a resident; does not require you to own a physical residence; and there is no personnel property taxes on your vehicals. The only stipulation is that you have to come back once every five years to get your drivers license renewed.

Speaking of which, it took us 15 minutes to get our licences and 1/2 hour to get our licence plates.

We use Americas Mailbox in Box Elder for our mail forwarding, and it hasn't missed a beat getting our mail to us. Good luck on your decision.

Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
0nTheRoad's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,092
We are from Georgia but have already established residency in Florida where there is no state income tax. We've chosen to use GoodSam Mail Forwarding which is based in Florida. Getting a FL drivers license was very easy, you do need to do it in person, just needed proof of US citizenship and a couple of documents with our FL address. We also registered to vote when we got our license.
We registered the RV in FL when we purchased it (6% sales tax) and in the process of transferring the truck.

Good luck with the transition to full time!!
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 128
We chose SD - Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls. We got better vehicle insurance rates using that address instead of Box Elder (go figure?!). We are not fulltiming yet, but gone enough to need mail forwarding.

Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
mhs4771's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,315
We're using GS in Florida also. Have a Daughter near Tampa, so we figure we'll be in Florida more than any other state.
Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Senior Member
BradPAjax's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 455
Holy Cow! Pays to be a US citizen... Cdn law has us tied up in knots in every province so they can collect their pound of flesh and give us the "free health care"...

2016 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 Dually Diesel, 2013 38BR Office config with all options and upgrades but Ceiling Fan and Ice Maker.
BradPAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Senior Member
lillyputz's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 467
Reg in SD. Sales tax is only 3% in SD. RV License was $254.00

36RE Redwood LEMON
lillyputz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
Senior Member
sinder's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 506
For those of you on the road that have changed your domicile to a tax friendly state, how do you plan to deal with jury duty requests in your new state if you registered to vote?
Dean & Pam - SOB
sinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 325
If you change states how do you handle your Medicare for as long as it lasts!
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 128
My understanding is that in SD jury duty is not a problem - just let them know you are out of state. Don't know aboyt Medicare. I am getting my will & trust updated in SD. It's important that it complies with the laws and procedures of the state where you are domiciled. And SD has favorable laws in that respect.

Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.