Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #21

I am not sure where we read that, but it was important to us since we wanted to spend the summer there with our daughter. We thought we could go for 2 1/1 mos then leave and go back for awhile.
I will try to find where I read that.
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #22

Oops...I forgot to mention that the stay in a family home (not owned directly by them) and leave their RV in another state. So, still no paper trail.

JJ
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #23

We have similar tax problems in Canada. The Gov't want to tax us on any income earned world wide, even when living full time abroad. Go figure, if out of Province for more than 6 months we can't get the medical coverage, but they still want to levy income tax.
Our son, who works and lives in Dubai declared non-resident status in Canada, which means he can havezero assets in Canada, or the Gov't would levy tax on his Dubai earnings.

In UK itwas and still isthe opposite. Provided I was out of the country for at least 6 months a year we never paid any income tax. We could even maintain a home and family and still not pay tax.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #24

If Federal, State and local goverments would tax only at the register it would solve all this. Do away with the IRS. As it stands now I do not pay State tax because I retired from the State of Louisiana and I'm exempt. My check is electronic, so where ever we go on the first of every month it's in the CU. We plan to only stay a month at each place, then move on at the 1st of every month.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #25

With all the electronic banking and e-mail and the fact that I am exempt from State Income tax because I retired from the State, would I even need mail?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #26

Some states such as Ca. will try to make you pay state taxes even though you are a legal resident of another state. Case in point when I worked at Lockheed Martin if you went to Ca fro Fort Worth Tx and stayed more than 90 days and income you earned would be subject to Ca state income tax. That is why Lockheed always brought you back to Fort Worth for at least a week before the 90 days was up.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #27

We hardly EVER need mail. But once in awhile there is something important that comes through (something we forgot, usuallu, to get electronically). When we get something like that, we make other arrangements then. Eventually we will have it all covered and then you hardly ever need snail mail. Maybe just an absentee ballot!

JJ
Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathog99

Some states such as Ca. will try to make you pay state taxes even though you are a legal resident of another state. Case in point when I worked at Lockheed Martin if you went to Ca fro Fort Worth Tx and stayed more than 90 days and income you earned would be subject to Ca state income tax. That is why Lockheed always brought you back to Fort Worth for at least a week before the 90 days was up.
That's why CA is in such a mess now. I have friends out there and they're all trying to leave that state. The "Golden Opportunities" are gone.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #29

That's why I never stay for more than two months In a year if the get there hooks in you your in bid trouble my Buddy lives up in the hills East of Riverside at 2000 feet its beautiful up there no inspectors ever come up but there using Google earth to see is you added anything to your land they got him for a small barn for there horses it came down to pay $12000 bucks or take it down, if I did not make good money there I'd never go back
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #30

A word of caution to anyone planning to make FL your domicile ifyour RW or TV is financed. You CANNOT get your FL driver's license and tags in one day. You need to get your tags first so you have proof that your mailing service is your FL address.The vehicle registration with your "FL address" and a form you fill outat the DMVare needed to get your driver's license. If youdon't have those, you need2 types of proof thatthe mail service addressis your address (like mail delivered there). Now the fun part! If either vehicle is financed, you have to contact your lender to alert them that the FL DMV will be contacting them for the title. The DMV then contacts the lender and the title has to be sent to the DMV. No telling how long this will take (days, weeks,a month, more???) Once the DMV has received the title from the lender, then and only then can you finish the paperwork for your tags and actually get the tags and this must be done IN PERSON. Unless you're planning to spend several weeks in FL waiting for all this, you're SOL! No tags, without tags, no license (unless you havemail delivered to you mail service address in which case you can get your license that day, but have to go back, in person, to get your tags). I wish someone had told us(like the mail service, maybe) or somewhere on line this information was posted -- it would have saved us lots of miles of travel and 2 nights in FL for NOTHING!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueMar
A word of caution to anyone planning to make FL your domicile ifyour RW or TV is financed. You CANNOT get your FL driver's license and tags in one day. You need to get your tags first so you have proof that your mailing service is your FL address.The vehicle registration with your "FL address" and a form you fill outat the DMVare needed to get your driver's license. If youdon't have those, you need2 types of proof thatthe mail service addressis your address (like mail delivered there). Now the fun part! If either vehicle is financed, you have to contact your lender to alert them that the FL DMV will be contacting them for the title. The DMV then contacts the lender and the title has to be sent to the DMV. No telling how long this will take (days, weeks,a month, more???) Once the DMV has received the title from the lender, then and only then can you finish the paperwork for your tags and actually get the tags and this must be done IN PERSON. Unless you're planning to spend several weeks in FL waiting for all this, you're SOL! No tags, without tags, no license (unless you havemail delivered to you mail service address in which case you can get your license that day, but have to go back, in person, to get your tags). I wish someone had told us(like the mail service, maybe) or somewhere on line this information was posted -- it would have saved us lots of miles of travel and 2 nights in FL for NOTHING!!!

WOW!!! I never would have expected all that. Sorry for your experience.
Many thanks for the "heads up"!
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #32

We've moved from state to state several times and have never had this happen before. Maybe FL doesn't want new residents as much as they say they do. SD is looking better every day!!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #33

I guess we were lucky, came to Florida this winter with the title for the TV as the RW was already licensed in Florida. Made copies of insurance papers and bank statement that had been mailed to Crestview (GS mail forwarding) and got everything done in short order. Now in order to get a vehicle reg'd in Florida it must have the VIN verified by the DMV.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #34

You were lucky enough to own your TV outright and have your title. Unfortunately, if the TV is financed, the lender has the title and that's when the problem arises
Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #35

Not in all states I have a loan on my RW and my TV and have both titles I guess MO bank just trust there customers
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #36

The process was super easy in SD! I got my DL and vehicle registrations done in one day. Karen at Alternative Resources will do all the leg work for you on registering your coach and vehicles - you just have to have an appointment set up with her before your arrival. Banks are fully aware that when people move, they must send the title to the new registering state to be transferred. Karen has all the forms you need to sign to get this done. I had my DL in less than 20 mins - helps that I grew up there and was already in the states system, and total time with Karen to register truck, coach, and a few other toys was 1 hour. I had registration and plates for everything sent to me via mail within 10 business days. Sounds like FL is a bit more complicated. Be sure to do your research and pick the one that is best for you. I chose SD as I am from there and plan on staying there once I decide it is time to get off the road and settle down.

Edited by: Enroute
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #37

We've always gotten our tags and then the DMV gets the title from the lender. Evidently FL is the only state (at least the only one I've come across) that won't issue your tags until they've received the title from the bank. Does anyone know of any other state that does this?
Old 04-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #38

Ditto on the Alternative Resources process. Karen had it done right quick over the phone - forms were online and she walked me thru filling them in. We got things notarized and sent off that day. Biggest holdup was with Toyota Financial - getting them to send the title for one of our vehicles, but Karen got that moving, too. We have our registration and plates, as well we got insurance through Dougherty & Associates (right next door). As soon as we get our RW will will drive to SD and get our drivers licenses. Easy easy easy.

And we figured we saved about $7-8K in registration and sales tax this year alont - not to mention future years of registration in CO.

JJ
Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #39

X2 on the AR process! Karen is a peach! Throw in the cheaper ins.,renewal by computor or thru Karen,no state inspections, no smog checks and it's a no brainer!
2013 Redwood 36RL Full paint D/W W/D 2 A/C's and all the other stuff.
jrgkfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #40

Since we are in Texas, we thought we would just do Texas. Is SD better on insurance rates, etc? I am all over saving money.
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote