Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #1

Dns - American Direct closing

Picked this up on the Escapees forum...

All American Direct will cease operations on February 25th 2014 at 11:59 pm. At that time our services will no longer be available. All customers with time remaining on their service will receive a prorated refund by check or credit card. For further information please refer to the FAQ tab on this page.
http://mydistantnetworks.com/faq
Old 02-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Site Team

I wonder how many people this is going to effect?
Old 02-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #3

Not sure, but I have to believe there are some on here who use this service.

We just call DISH when we move and tell them to change our local feed based on our current ZIP.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

I just set up my Dish yesterday on the RV type account for the new hopper-joeys, and I thought it odd when he asked the address where the RV is versus the account address. He then explained exactly what you said Chuck, when you call in to activate the receivers to go on the road, they will adjust your address to where ever you want to capture the local channels.

Maybe that is not the same as DNS. I don't know enough about it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I just set up my Dish yesterday on the RV type account for the new hopper-joeys, and I thought it odd when he asked the address where the RV is versus the account address. He then explained exactly what you said Chuck, when you call in to activate the receivers to go on the road, they will adjust your address to where ever you want to capture the local channels.

Maybe that is not the same as DNS. I don't know enough about it.
I have Dish and haven't ever bothered to call Dish to report my new location. I am generally able to get local channels using the OTA antenna. We are currently in the panhandle of Florida and receive 8 to 12 channels OTA. That is enough to get the local weather.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #6

We like to record so we can watch when we want so we like to have the locals through DISH. we have a Trav'ler on the roof, where we're at now we are under trees so the Trav'ler is useless so we got a PathwayX2 which gets us the sats but connects to the eastern arc which doesn't have locals, so I purchased a Rayzor and hooked it to the OTA connection on the receiver. Now we can record locals too!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #7

We're with Direct and when I'm in my 5th Wheel, I simply call customer service and tell them where I'm located and within about 1 minute they convert my local channels to the nearest big city. As far as the satellite stations are concerned, they remain the same regardless of location. When we return home, I call customer service and have them change my local stations back. No muss - no fuss.
Aguanga4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

No need to get on the phone. Just change your RV location on line at Mydish.com
Old 02-03-2014, 03:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Dave,

Thanks for the tip, how long does it take to get you locals after you make the change online?
Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I have Dish and just tried for the first time to go online and change my location through my account but could not find a way to do that directly. So, I went into a chat session with a Dish agent and she indicated that I could not do it directly myself but she could do it for me. I gave here my location and it is supposed to take 10 or 15 minutes to come through. I hope it works.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
Dave,

Thanks for the tip, how long does it take to get you locals after you make the change online?
Go to Mydish.com and edit your billing address. This will change your location and give you the local channels in that location.

If you have issues contact Tech support and chat with them. Do not chat with Customer service on this matter.

I'll be changing my channels tomorrow night. I'm flying to Florida tomorrow. It takes about 15 minutes for the locals to come in from the time that I edit my address.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:58 AM   #12
Site Team

Be careful about changing your location to get local channels. It changes your programming package, not only on your RV receiver but also on your home receiver/s. When I changed my location to Florida, I lost the Big 10 network programming on my RV receiver and also on my home receiver.

I didn't expect that and my son and his family (they are house sitting for us) didn't like it either. Needless to say, I changed my location back.......we Hoosiers like our basketball (even when they aren't that good this year).

Old 02-04-2014, 05:06 AM   #13

With Direct TV the last time I change my location with a rep on the phone, the changes took affect before we completed the conversation.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
Be careful about changing your location to get local channels. It changes your programming package, not only on your RV receiver but also on your home receiver/s. When I changed my location to Florida, I lost the Big 10 network programming on my RV receiver and also on my home receiver.

I didn't expect that and my son and his family (they are house sitting for us) didn't like it either. Needless to say, I changed my location back.......we Hoosiers like our basketball (even when they aren't that good this year).
You are now empowered!

I started my RV on a separate account, but I don't see it online. I'll have to track it down.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote