Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Site Team

For all potential Redwood owners thinking about disk brakes......let me tell you a true story.

My wife and I had to go to Mesa AZ on business with our RV which is about 1700 miles for us. We arrived late last night (10 pm) and were able to meet up in the same campground as Jim and Rozie (beechguyjim) who are great people.

So we were hurrying down the mountains last night with the engine brake on descending down a winding 6% grade when out in front of me walked a BEAUTIFUL bull elk. Now keep in mind I'm descending a 6 mile long, 6% grade, in the dark and LOADED HEAVY on a 2 lane road traveling around 45 mph. Needless to say, steep ditches on both sides and the Bull stopped dead in his tracks and looked at me. When I was within about 75 ft he decided he was going to run back to my right and as he started his back legs slipped out from under him and at that point I was ready for impact. I locked up the Redwood and the F350 brakes, as did the cars behind me (this is where my wife looked up and about had a heart attack). He got his legs back under him and scooted out of the way, as we passed him I thought the mirror was going to hit his ass. It took about an hour for my wife to settle down after that.

My point of the story is this......there's no way in hell could I have had the same ending without those disk brakes. I had nowhere to go but straight and I know had I made that sudden maneuver with the regular brakes I probably would have laid the trailer on it's side in the 15 ft ditch. The brakes held strong and the rig stayed straight while stopping quickly. I also will say for those doubting the need for a dually.....those extra tires I believe really helped.

My advice to all RVers.....buy as big of a truck as you can afford....carry as many tools as you can....enjoy life and good health while you've got it....Life is an adventure.

Happy Trails

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Dave,

Great story............well said.............glad you are both safe. Definitely agree on the disk brakes.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #3

Dave,
Just curious if you feel any delay in the actuation of Disk with that Ford controller. I've hear rumors, but that may be the original disk brake systems. The Redwood system looks very simple and elegant compared to some of the old ones - I am impressed.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant

Dave,
Just curious if you feel any delay in the actuation of Disk with that Ford controller. I've hear rumors, but that may be the original disk brake systems. The Redwood system looks very simple and elegant compared to some of the old ones - I am impressed.
I've heard some of the guys with GM trucks have had problems with their controller working with the disk brakes. With my F350 I've had no problems.....they hit good and strong each time. When I'm loaded heavy I have my controller set at 9=9.5
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #5

Dave,

Good to hear you and your wife made it to Mesa OK. That encounter with the elk must have been one for the records. Have a good stay in our great state of Arizona.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #6

Good story. Glad I ordered the disks and upgraded tires.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #7

My wife would still be cussing me and the elk. Youpraise the disk brakes, but what about the engine brake. Imagaine trying to make that same stop with warm/hot pads. I have the brake on my 6.7 Dodge dually and love the effort it saves, not to mention the cool noise going downa hill heavy!
homeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #8

We have a 2008 dodge DRW "Resistol" model mega cab with short bed and sliding hitch We have the complete towing package including the jake brake. Works wonderful. That truck pulls our Redwood with no effort.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #9

Welcome to Mesa. Shirley and I have lived here for 31 years. Our 36RE is delightful. Please let us know if you need any assistance while in town.
Hummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #10

I'll be traveling that same road for the first time as I am moving to Scottsdale. Did you use a lower gear going down hill? I do have disc brakes and thanks for your story.
PugBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugBoys
I'll be traveling that same road for the first time as I am moving to Scottsdale. Did you use a lower gear going down hill? I do have disc brakes and thanks for your story.
Yes I did use the transmission to hold the truck back while we descended the hills. As long as you adjust your speed at the top of a hill you won't have any problems.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #12

Glad you and your wife are OK.. The pucker factor must of been off the scale!!! I too love the Disk brakes.. No trouble with the GM integrated brakes controlling with Redwoods disk brakes.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote