Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2015, 01:04 AM   #1

Dish Network vs Direct TV??????

Ok so here it goes. I have had Dish Network for HD TV service in the past at a bricks and motar location. Was not happy with their customer service.....

Now I am looking at Dish or Direct at both my permanent brick and mortar as well as my 2014 RW 38RE. What are your thoughts, Pros and Cons.

Admittedly very generic but there is a method to my madness.

Bob
6.6 Liter Duramax Diesel w/ 6 Speed Allison Trans
Rhilton284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:42 AM   #2

I've had both Dish & Dtv, customer service for both is horrible!!

It's really about which programming package you like best, if sports are important to you then Dtv is probably the better choice.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 AM   #3

Keep in mind, if you want HD, the large slim line dish is the only one that works with Direct, while Dish has several options for HD.
We've been with Direct since about their second year in business. Follow any of the forums and I think you'll find an equal number that either hate Dish or Direct.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:46 AM   #4

Ive had dish since it was invented. Customer service is great, or it sucks, depends on the hour.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:04 AM   #5

Kinda like the Ford, Chevy, Dodge question

Get the one that works for you, both have their pluses and minuses

We like our Dish service, but we have had our problems with Dish too.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #6

Just know that the Travler roof top antennas are Dish and Direct specific - so once you decide then drop $1200 for that antenna, it's hard to change your mind later, at least for the RV.

We have Dish at home, and then I got another account for the RV that lets me deactivate when I'm not using it. I could have just kept one account and pulled equipment from the house when I needed to use it in the RV, but I didn't.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #7

We use DirecTV at home and in the Redwood. All billed together each month. For the most part, all satellite and cable distributors have several good channels and a bunch you don't watch but have to pay for. We bought the Travl'er antenna with the camper and its worked without fail for the three years it's been in operation. The only service issue I've encountered is that the Redwood has to be parked in my home driveway for service because they only make calls to the address that's on the account. They won't come to your current location for repairs. With that said, I have not called for service in over a year so they may have changed that requirement. Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-06-2015, 07:22 PM   #8

There was a similar post a while ago. You might check it out:

http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...highlight=dish

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:01 AM   #9

DirectTV serviced my box in the Redwood a couple of years ago.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #10

Directv's wireless genie's just have to be paired with the dvr so for $6 per mth they can be in the house, the rv, the backyard, wherever

As far as changing the address to get the locals,
we rarely bother with that since we just pop the rooftop antenna up and use it for locals if we need to (but usually we don't since we would only use it for weather and the phones or tablets show us whatever weather.com has for us!
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:41 PM   #11

We have had direct tv for years. Started it at the brick and mortar. When we started snowbirding brought main box with us and a mobile dish setup. We now have graduated to an automatic dish on the roof of the rig and the genie c client boxes. When we arrive at our winter location we call customer service and ell them we have moved and ask them to give us our locals here. Have not had a problem with service calls either, but do try to wait until we return home to do any upgrades. So far have been extremely happy with direct, but agree with previous posts it's all about what packages you like and price point.
1000islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #12

We have changed from cable at home to Dish. We added the RW box for $7/mth. Next I am going to look into getting a Hopper dvr and use 2 Joeys for wireless network to the two other tvs. No complaints so far. Very impressed with reception quality with roof antenna! There are two coax cables where the satellite box goes. I used the one that connected with outside input. Anybody know where the other ca n let goes? There is only one in, one out on my box. Don't know how to get sat to other tvs. Thanks

Kent & Mindy
Isabelle & Elliebelle Miniature Schnauzers
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2015 RW 38RL
4happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #13

We have the Hopper and 2 (non-wireless) Joeys. That system is so cool!

The Redwood roof antenna also feeds my 3 TVs, but I added a Dish OTA that connects the roof antenna to the Hopper via USB and all the stations are imported into the Dish station guide for you. That guide is available on all of the Joeys as well and can be watched through Dish. I like it because I avoid channel flipping through local channels to see what is there.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Just know that the Travler roof top antennas are Dish and Direct specific - so once you decide then drop $1200 for that antenna, it's hard to change your mind later, at least for the RV.

We have Dish at home, and then I got another account for the RV that lets me deactivate when I'm not using it. I could have just kept one account and pulled equipment from the house when I needed to use it in the RV, but I didn't.
Also, keep in mind that the DirectTV version of the Travler is more expensive (by a few hundred $$) than the Dish version. This is what ultimately led me to Dish.