Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2018, 05:29 AM   #21

Dan & Connie, that’s a good idea. Do you connect to the TV via Bluetooth or use HDMI? I assume that would work with an iPad also? Tell me more!

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #22

Well, that presents its own problem, which is internet access on the road. Most internet connections do not lend themselves to streaming on a daily basis. Not only that, but that will eat up lots of data especially if you're watching HD content.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #23

Dan and Connie,
This was so funny to me, my sister/Connie and her husband/Dan, get their TV the same way as you. So when I saw this post, for a minute I thought, why didn't they just call me. They are full-timers, so it wouldn't have been unreasonable for them to access this forum. In fact, they helped us pick out our RW. We parted company and they headed north while we headed south. One of our main goals though is to purchase our new RW so we can travel much more with them. So, who knows, maybe someday we'll meet up with the you, the other Dan & Connie in our adventures. Sounds like fun.
Txcowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
This may not be for everyone, but I use my laptop hooked up to my TV to watch my DISH using my DISH anywhere program on my computer. I have to change channels using my computer (no remote), but I didn't have to buy additional equipment, or have had additional equipment installed on my RW.
Other than you are burning data, I never thought of that. I do that at hotels all the time so why not in the RV! Good input!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:19 PM   #25
Site Team

As I'm going through getting the Tailgater to work with a roof mount in my RL (finally did get the living room to work, btw), if I had it to do over I would spend the money and get the big Winegard that it's wired for and be done with it.

Carry the Tailgater for when you have trees.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:00 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddFlap View Post
Dan & Connie, that’s a good idea. Do you connect to the TV via Bluetooth or use HDMI? I assume that would work with an iPad also? Tell me more!
Muddflap,
I have the DISH app on my computer, and I just attach an HDMI cable from my computer to the TV, and open the DISH app. Like I said before you will have to change channels on the computer, but I have been using this set up for the last year and it has been working for me. No equipment to buy, or attaching anything to the camper. I liked that. Of course a good wifi is helpful, but so far I haven't had a problem with that.
Good luck
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:03 AM   #27

Thats funny. Yes, maybe some day we will meet.
Take care
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 04-30-2018, 03:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Other than you are burning data, I never thought of that. I do that at hotels all the time so why not in the RV! Good input!
Thanks, I shouldn't be burning data if I am hooked up to the campground wifi.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 04-30-2018, 03:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Well, that presents its own problem, which is internet access on the road. Most internet connections do not lend themselves to streaming on a daily basis. Not only that, but that will eat up lots of data especially if you're watching HD content.
Jim & Mary,
I have been lucky so far in that all the campgrounds I have stayed at I have received good wifi connection, so no burning of my data.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 04-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #30

We have had both, the big dish and the portable. We are currently using a portable with a Wally and hard drive. With the big dish, we took it and the box from the house. Hooked up the main line to the SAT input and the 2nd tv was hooked up to the CABLE line, we were also able to watch it on the outside tv. Picture was not as clear but still good. Any splitter on the line did not interfere. We are now using the portable Pathway X1, I think. It is hooked up to the SAT input in the wet bay, no issue on cable length. We have a 2nd one that we will use for the outside and bedroom tv just like before. We haven't tried it yet but had no issues before and hoping for the same.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #31

Well today is the big day, will advise when finally hooked up, thanks for all nthe input as always.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #32

Ok, hookup was completed, thanks to Brad's install power wire was attached to Sat cable in roof, and other end was located in top cabinet in bedroom closet.
If I had one wish it would be that instead of two holes on roof for Satellite cable protrusion, RW only used one on roof, all cables would fit and install would be neater.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0363.jpg (148.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0365.jpg (209.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0366.jpg (132.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0367.jpg (252.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0368.jpg (115.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0376.jpg (209.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #33

Ok, well I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's anxiously waiting for the success report that your dish antenna now works? Install looks great!!!!

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mary View Post
Ok, well I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's anxiously waiting for the success report that your dish antenna now works? Install looks great!!!!
Jim, I'm sorry I should have said everything works great, a lot more room is cabinet don't have all those wires behind TV anymore, Mamma was happy with that as it gave her more room to store stuff, really satisfied with Dish, only drawback was internet, but no problem for us as we have a Verizon Hot Spot that we use.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #35

Great Job! and I agree with you on wishing they only used one hole.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #36

In regards to the DISH service(for me soon to be using the Hopper 3 and Joeys) would I be correct in that the only time internet is really necessary is when accessing the guide? Or when streaming utilizing Netflex or Hulu or the like. My "IT-guy" son is working up a system for us which utilizes dual wireless routers that would give us a LAN and WAN as needed. At least this is what I understood. Of course, he also is designing in a Server for file storage for all of our pictures, audio and video files. Will let you know how all that works out. We leave SoCal to take off FT on or about June 15 after we get one of our daughters set up in the house. We'll be at the Rally in July.
RV4us2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #37

Ken & Patty,

No, you don’t need internet for the guide. It downloads as part of the setup.

As far as streaming video, yes you do but you’ll find out that you’ll blow though data caps with a movie or 2. Because of that, I don’t bother hooking the hopper to internet when on the road.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #38

You may need internet to purchase VOD movies on Channel 1 or to purchase pay-per-views on the channels in the 500 range. If you connect at least once you may be able to purchase a few but you may have to call Dish to order more. They only provide a certain amount of "Credit" after your initial internet connection. You will need to connect to the internet again to reload the credit. If it won't let you purchase then you can just turn on the Hotspot on your cell phone and connect the Hopper to it for a short time. This will let the purchase transactions be uploaded to DISH and let DISH renew the credit level in the Hopper for purchases. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #39

So we had the winegard traveler for directv installed yesterday .. Many thanks to all that came before us as we would have never found control cable that was supposed to be taped to the coax wires in the roof ...with supposed being the operative word..I insisted they were in the there somewhere, so my installer,Sarge, had to go fishing down the hole to find the wire, not to mention the coax wires were twisted too boot !! Also , the coax wires had cuts in thems so he had to shorten and install new connectors .. Since i had my receivers already from my house , we set up the Genie main receiver in the living room ,with a mini genie in the bed room and one in the basement ... I couldn’t be happier with the setup and cant wait till football season to enjoy all the games with the NFL Pack!!!! Nd I can’t sa enough bout my installer who came to my location..If your in the Norcal area and need mobile install, i highly recommend him ..Sarges Satellite—— William “Sarge “ Myrick—- 916-224-2581
2018 RW 3991RD
2018 Ram Dually
brad chilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad chilton View Post
So we had the winegard traveler for directv installed yesterday .. Many thanks to all that came before us as we would have never found control cable that was supposed to be taped to the coax wires in the roof ...with supposed being the operative word..I insisted they were in the there somewhere, so my installer,Sarge, had to go fishing down the hole to find the wire, not to mention the coax wires were twisted too boot !! Also , the coax wires had cuts in thems so he had to shorten and install new connectors .. Since i had my receivers already from my house , we set up the Genie main receiver in the living room ,with a mini genie in the bed room and one in the basement ... I couldn’t be happier with the setup and cant wait till football season to enjoy all the games with the NFL Pack!!!! Nd I can’t sa enough bout my installer who came to my location..If your in the Norcal area and need mobile install, i highly recommend him ..Sarges Satellite—— William “Sarge “ Myrick—- 916-224-2581
I'm glad to hear you were tenacious and demanded the search for the cables. I had the same setup (dish however) done before delivery. When I went to check on progress at the dealer, they had drilled a 2" hole through the roof into the bedroom cabinet and ran cables over the roof with tie down brackets. Could not have been worse... I made them find the pre-wired cable and they said the same thing about not being able to find them without a bunch of trouble. Now I have one more place to inspect the self leveling calk