Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

Dining room floor rotted after 3 1/2 years

We own a 2015 Redwood 38GK.

We have discovered our dining room floor (next to the front door and on the side with the window) is rotted. We have had authorized dealers inspect all seals through the past 3 years of ownership. We have also completed our own inspection for the seals, but felt it best to pay the professionals to make sure things were sealed correctly.

We have friends that have 10 - 20 year old 5th wheels who have the same trim and wrap design as ours and their floor has not rotted. So it seems odd that this happened on a fairly new vehicle.

Does anyone have experience with your floors rotting out so quickly?
Locatjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #2

my guess is a poorly sealed caulking joint or the window fit in the hole.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:31 PM   #3

My 1st stop would be the dealer you've been paying for 3+ years of inspections!!
If it's been constantly wet enough to rot the floor they've obviously missed a serious leak somewhere. The carpet or paneling should've shown signs somewhere of that big of a problem.
I had the window next to the recliners develop a small leak & it was very obvious that it was leaking with water running down the wall & wet floor, I had to remove the window & replace the butyl putty tape then reinstall.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #4

Thank you....you are probably correct in thinking it might be the seal in the window that was not sealed appropriately.
We have an appointment with our dealer in a couple of weeks to look into this issue.
We have been in contact with Redwood, not Keystone. Redwood appointed a customer service person to us 2 weeks ago...haven't heard back yet.
We will let you know the outcome of this issue.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:46 AM   #5

When we first got our Redwood, we would have water by the entry door during a heavy rain.
Found out it was the cheap plastic respectable cover on the side of our coach near the door.
It did not close very good and was not sealed very good.
Replaced it with a metal cover and sealed it well, never had water by the door since.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #6

Look Underneath

I would venture to say that the cause is at the bottom edge of the slide. There is a formed plastic material underneath the slide that turns upward if I remember correctly. Capillary action pulls the moisture flowing down the side of the slide up above this material and the water is absorbed into the floor decking. During heavy rains one should touch the carpet along the slide edges for dampness. If it feels wet you have a problem.

The solution is to put a bead of clear caulk along the interface between the black material and the bottom edge of the slide. I know my description may not be great but if you look underneath the edge of the slide you will clearly observe what I am talking about. Please keep in mind that water can be pulled up into this area. This is especially a problem for those that live in areas of heavy rainfall. For those desert folks you may never have this problem. To me it is a design flaw! I know there has been several reports of floor rot in the dinning room slide. Everyone always goes to the window as the culprit. Everyone please inspect this area.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #7

Thank you...this is a perfect description. We agree it is a design flaw....we'll see how Redwood responds to us.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #8

[QUOTE=GA1817;84474]I would venture to say that the cause is at the bottom edge of the slide. There is a formed plastic material underneath the slide that turns upward if I remember correctly.

Does any one know who makes that black plastic ski that under the lower outside edge of the main slides ? the last time out I brought the slide I found the end of the black hard plastic broke a bout 3" back from the end . I think it caught the edge of the floor as it jump up to ride over the floor inside . I looked around to see if somethin else caused it and the only thing I found was the slide need adjustment to sit in the opening squarely . Not sure why the room needed adjustment but it seams to fit better after I played with the support arms and moved them about 3/8" forward and up 3/8 in the front arm. before making any adjustments the slide was pushed tight to the rear in the opening and slightly tilted out at the top.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #9

[QUOTE=XCMARK;84476]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1817 View Post
I would venture to say that the cause is at the bottom edge of the slide. There is a formed plastic material underneath the slide that turns upward if I remember correctly.

Does any one know who makes that black plastic ski that under the lower outside edge of the main slides ? the last time out I brought the slide I found the end of the black hard plastic broke a bout 3" back from the end . I think it caught the edge of the floor as it jump up to ride over the floor inside . I looked around to see if somethin else caused it and the only thing I found was the slide need adjustment to sit in the opening squarely . Not sure why the room needed adjustment but it seams to fit better after I played with the support arms and moved them about 3/8" forward and up 3/8 in the front arm. before making any adjustments the slide was pushed tight to the rear in the opening and slightly tilted out at the top.
Wow I have been fighting my dining room slide coming in for quite a while. Last week I found exactly what you did. Someone had just put a gooey glue or something trying to attach it back on. It turned sideways and was grabbing when the slide was attempting to close. It looked like a real job replacing that "ski" and I was thinking the slide may have to come out. I wound up using JBweld and attached it to the floor. Hope I wont have to remove it at some point... I have only operated the slide twice since and it seems to work much better. Time will tell.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:42 PM   #10

Ours broke the end 3 or 4" off a while ago. Put it on my list for the Rally and they just moved the slide out a few inches, jacked up the slide and just slide a new piece in that came with an adhesive strip already on it.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 AM   #11

it didtn look impossible to me .

Michelle , did they push the slide out beyond normal with the inside molding removed? If you can recall exactly how they did it would be helpful , I have been cleaning the glue off the carpet every time it comes in and out.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:50 AM   #12

All they did was bring the slide in maybe 6 to 8 inches, jacked up the outside to provide space to slide in the new section, remove the jack and run the slide in and out and were done. Took all of a few minutes.
Think I said it backwards in the other post.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote