Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
bic

Went to windish rv to pick up my 36FL yesterday. I was going thru checking ordered options from order list, noticed missing dishwasher, and had stove instead of the draws we ordered. They want windish to fix
their mistake. I dont like the idea od fixing these issues as an after thought. What do you all think?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #2

I agree with you, but then if they can fix the mistake with a little compensation to make it worth you while them maybe that is an option.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #3

Retro Fits are always an issue, but with compensation?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:30 PM   #4

I agree. That was the single reason we ordered instead of buying off the lot. I wanted what I wanted and not what we could make work. My concern when we were talking about a retrofit was how it would look. Could you tell if it were not from factory? Would there be a issue with items we were changing? The 1st dealer that we were working with really wanted us to buy off the lot and every time I mentioned ordering, he would try to give me reasons not to. When I did my request for quote(I did 3), not only did the dealer we order from come in thousands lower, but he was very happy to custom order. He helped us to get exactly what we wanted and told us it would probably take about 5 weeks. One of the reasons not to order (from the 1st dealer) was it was a 9-12 week process. Now, I haven't received my new coach, but I am very confident of the dealers ability to do what he said he could do. I have seen him come through on his word to others here on this forum.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I am not sure what I would do if I were in your place. I guess it depends on when you need your coach.

SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #5

By compensation I mean deducting an amount off the price of the coach.
USN Retired
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #6

This does not surprise me as Redwood is a Thor product. Thor has not been aggresive enoughwith the companies that they have purchased or created. They want to own all these different companies and cannot or will not control the way that they do business.

To me, if I have ordered several different options then thats what I want.I don't want retrofit at a dealer.

I have special ordered several different automobiles and trucks in my recent past. I have yet to have an issue with what I have ordered. Apparently, Redwood is not to that high standard that the auto industry is.

Thor is trying to become the 'General Motors' of the RV industry. Meaning, just like GM has all there different makes of cars and trucks, so too, does Thor have Crossroads/Redwood, Dutchmen/Infinity, Keystone/Big Sky, Heartland/Landmark. Not to mention all the other 5ers,TT, and Motorhomes under all these different companies.

It just seems to me that since the fall of the RV industry in '09 that the people building them haseroded.Water runs down hill. Starting right from the top at'Thor'.

My brother-in-law & sister-in-law ordered their Redwood SL in December. They had no idea whether they were getting certain options in their coach. They also, didn't know if an upgrade would interject itself during the 8-10 week build time. Redwood prides itself on changes anytime. The dealer had absolutely no control over Redwood during the build process.

After reading this forum and many othersI'm flabbergasted at the erogance that these Thor companies convey.

I hope one day that Thor starts meeting sometype of a manufacturing standard to give the customer what they ask for.

Dave

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #7

BIC,

The unit is not yours until you sign for it... it belongs to the dealer and their bank.

If you are not happy with a compensation package and the dealer's ability to make the retrofit look like it was "factory done" then refuse to accept the unit and tell them to try again and get it right this time.

Redwood also has the option to take it back to the factory and do it right... they did that for others on this forum.

Don't get bullied into taking something you did not order.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

Dave,

I think you are being a bit hard. I have not seen so many of these problems here on the forum. Quite the opposite. Most everyone on the forum has been very happy with the delivery of their coach. I expect to be very happy as well. I do believe that the dealer has a lot to do with the outcome. I have read so many post that it is taking so long to get the coach and I have seen quick result from the dealer we have used.

I bought a RW based of the post I have seen here and how many people have highly rated their coaches and would buy another one. Yes, there have been a few that are not having that experience, but you will always have a lemon come off the line from time to time. In Cars and RV's. I bought a new car that was a lemon and that is why I would invoke the lemon law if I was having as many problems as some seem to be having.

Just my opinion.
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #9

SW1117,

I can appreciate your optimism where you're waiting for your unit to arrive. Congratulations in advance. There are just under 2000 Redwood/Blackwood units sold as of November 30, 2012. That number is probably over 2000 to date.
On this forum there is a small percentage of owners that particate. There are Thor owners throughout the different forums good and bad and only a few participate. Alot are having good luck with their coaches and not saying anything. There are also, people out there that are having issues and staying silent.
I am seeing more arogance from the Thor manufacturers then I had seen from other brands in the past. Which Istated.
Your right, if acoach is that bad then check with the State that you purchased it fromand usethe lemon law for what it is designed.
My point is that I want to see anyone that is involved in manufaturing and/or selling Thor products.........STEP IT UP If they think they're doing a good job.......do better. That's all.
Just my opinion!

Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
bic

Windish is doing everything possible to rectify the problem. Windish is installing the dishwasher and removing the oven. My concerns now will be fit and finish from shop hand installing cabinets and plumbing. I have had terrible luck with Service at a dealership, This is my first purchase from these guys. I Will update the quality of there work. The buying experience has been perfect to this point. Well see soon how engineering change works out.

Thanks for your feed back Edited by: bic
Old 04-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
par

I have placed an order for an FL in the last 2 weeks and I am not surprised a bit that products are not delivered as ordered. Today I received a confirmation from Redwood and found major options are missing. How can this be happening when they are actually in the build process... no wonder units are not built to spec. In my mind I hold Redwood totally responsible for this by providing documentation that is unclear and subject to interpretation. Options should have a unique part number and clearly identified which model they belong to... come on Redwood get on the ball here. After 3+ years in business and they still allow this confusion on their ordering process is a bit difficult to swallow. If my FL does not come as ordered I will refuse to accept it, or as someone mentioned previously they better make it worth my while.Edited by: par
Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #12

Huh?

I've read this three times and have no idea what you are talking about. You ordered one 2 weeks ago and already you know its wrong?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave

This does not surprise me as Redwood is a Thor product. Thor has not been aggresive enoughÂ*with the companies that they have purchased or created. They want to own all these different companies and cannot or will not control the way that they do business.
Â*
To me, if I have ordered several different options then thats what I want.Â*I don't want retrofit at a dealer. Â*
Â*
I have special ordered several different automobiles and trucks in my recent past. I have yet to have an issue with what I have ordered. Apparently, Redwood is not to that high standard that the auto industry is.
Â*
Thor is trying to become the 'General Motors' of the RV industry. Meaning, just like GM has all there different makes of cars and trucks, so too, does Thor have Crossroads/Redwood, Dutchmen/Infinity, Keystone/Big Sky, Heartland/Landmark. Not to mention all the other 5ers,Â*TT, and Motorhomes under all these different companies.
Â*
It just seems to me that since the fall of the RV industry in '09 that the people building them hasÂ*eroded.Â*Water runs down hill. Starting right from the top atÂ*'Thor'.Â*
Â*
My brother-in-law & sister-in-law ordered their Redwood SL in December. They had no idea whether they were getting certain options in their coach. They also, didn't know if an upgrade would interject itself during the 8-10 week build time. Redwood prides itself on changes anytime. Â*The dealer had absolutely no control over Redwood during the build process. Â*
Â*
After reading this forum and many othersÂ*I'm flabbergasted at the erogance that these Thor companies convey.Â*
Â*
I hope one day that Thor starts meeting sometype of a manufacturing standard to give the customer what they ask for.Â*
Â*
Dave
Â*
Â*
I would have rather you use Thor trying to be like Ford Rather than GM, Ford is the only American Company not to file bankruptsy. lol
Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #14

I got a factory printout of all the options, and that was the first thing I checked at the PDI. I thought it actually was missing the heat pump in one of the units, (my dumb, it said "heat" right on the thermostat), but I was prepared to let the Dealer rectify it if it was wrong.

It's a big step refusing delivery and waiting for another order. Other than paint, I would think the Dealer could install at least as well as the factory - Redwood has pretty nice factory work, but it's not anything the Dealer can't match.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
par

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant
Huh?

I've read this three times and have no idea what you are talking about. You ordered one 2 weeks ago and already you know its wrong?
Sorry... I corrected the second sentence.

But you got it! Redwood mails a confirmation back to the dealer and the dealer had enough sense to send it back to me. This allowed us to pickup on these errors so this is how we know it was wrong.
To add to this confusion, I received a second confirmation today and believe it or not it is still wrong. So now we go through the same process again, hopefully this time they will get it right.
How can we not expect errors when two corrections are sent back to them. Hope this is clearer.Edited by: par
Old 04-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #16

Ah OK. If that is the sheet that comes from Crossroads that has the model and options to be installed with the vin number, that is how it is being built. If its wrong, better nip it in the bud quick, as it probably is harder to change as time goes on.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #17

I had the same issue with our BR when I ordered the office cabinets installed on the common wall (stereo/TV/fireplace) rather than the back wall. Took 3 e-mails and finally a phone conversation with Andy and pdf drawings that I signed and e-mailed back to get it right!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #18

Hi Par. You have the same dealer as Brad and I. Call your sales person and get things straight. You have a great dealer and they will work for and with you. All the best
Old 04-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
par

The dealer is treating me with great respect, no issue there. I just don't understand why, so far, it has taken 3 shots to try and get this right with Redwood... and no I did not change my order mid-stream.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave

This does not surprise me as Redwood is a Thor product. Thor has not been aggresive enoughwith the companies that they have purchased or created. They want to own all these different companies and cannot or will not control the way that they do business.

To me, if I have ordered several different options then thats what I want.I don't want retrofit at a dealer.

Thor is trying to become the 'General Motors' of the RV industry. Meaning, just like GM has all there different makes of cars and trucks, so too, does Thor have Crossroads/Redwood, Dutchmen/Infinity, Keystone/Big Sky, Heartland/Landmark. Not to mention all the other 5ers,TT, and Motorhomes under all these different companies.

It just seems to me that since the fall of the RV industry in '09 that the people building them haseroded.Water runs down hill. Starting right from the top at'Thor'.

My brother-in-law & sister-in-law ordered their Redwood SL in December. They had no idea whether they were getting certain options in their coach. They also, didn't know if an upgrade would interject itself during the 8-10 week build time. Redwood prides itself on changes anytime. The dealer had absolutely no control over Redwood during the build process.

After reading this forum and many othersI'm flabbergasted at the erogance that these Thor companies convey.

I hope one day that Thor starts meeting sometype of a manufacturing standard to give the customer what they ask for.

Dave
I would have rather you use Thor trying to be like Ford Rather than GM, Ford is the only American Company not to file bankruptsy. lol
X2