Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #21

We have a good relationship with the original dealer. We have dealt with the dealership closer to home but don't think their service department is any better than the one where we bought the RW. That is probably the main reason we will take it back to that dealership. Plus I can pop over a few miles and see my daughter. [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRW Owner View Post
When I called Redwood and was connected to Keystone I was told that we had to go to our dealer for warranty repairs. If we're on the road and far away from our dealer, we can go to any authorized Keystone repair facility.
That sounds simple, "just take it to any Keystone dealer". The 1st thing you're going to be ask is "did you purchase it here?", when you say no then they will tell you either "can't get to you for 6 months" or just flat out " no we take of our customers 1st".
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #23

[QUOTE=travelin' texans;77324]That sounds simple, "just take it to any Keystone dealer". The 1st thing you're going to be ask is "did you purchase it here?", when you say no then they will tell you either "can't get to you for 6 months" or just flat out " no we take of our customers 1st".[/QUOTE

Yep! You're right. Our dealer told us that's what they do. 😁
NewRW Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #24

I agree with Danny.

That is why I felt that saving 2% on the purchase price by buying it out of state was not going to be worth it in the long run.

Our local dealer here is good to work with but they are so busy that they have no choice but to take care of their own customers first. That is how they choose to insure repeat business by their customers regardless of brand.

Service after the sale should always be part of the purchase decision.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #25

Agree with you. Some customers angrily confront their dealer from the beginning, causing a bad relationship right off. Then others get to their wits end after many major problems not getting fixed. We have no way of knowing what folks have gone through.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #26

Sounds like your dealer is smart. Warranty customer service is an important factor for many of us when deciding where to buy. I always check reviews before we buy.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #27

I for one am great full our warranty has expired. With the extended warranty I get to decide where to take our trailer if needed. Best thing is to learn your Rig and make all the small fixes you can yourself. I did this even when it was new and had the MFG warranty. The dealer complained that they did not get enough money for fixes from the MFG so they did sloppy job. Most dealers service centers are overpriced and do not have good qualified tech's. IMO
Old 10-20-2017, 12:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Your right that one person can't change the system but many who simply won't buy the product can.
Hmmm, heard that line for over 15 years as well, but RV sales are up consistently since 2009, reaching the 1/2 million mark 2016, yet I don't see quality improvements in any brand. Americans don't buy quality, they buy price.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:51 AM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Exactly. I had a BIL that had a 8' truck topper for sale at 200.00 advertised in the classified adds which was a steal and not 1 call. Told him to up the price to 1500.00. The first person that called bought it for that price and had numerous calls on it
Old 10-20-2017, 02:35 AM   #30

Just read where Winnebago profit was up 70 some percent over the previous 12 month period.
So yes, RV MFRs are turning them out as fast as possible and the buyer gets the short end of the stick in the end (pun intended).
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Just read where Winnebago profit was up 70 some percent over the previous 12 month period.
So yes, RV MFRs are turning them out as fast as possible and the buyer gets the short end of the stick in the end (pun intended).
Yes, and they started their own TT and 5er line because they wanted a piece of that gravy everyone else was getting.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Yes, and they started their own TT and 5er line because they wanted a piece of that gravy everyone else was getting.

Wouldn't surprise me if all the manufacturers of RV were up at least 70%. But I still love my RW with all the issues I have. I'll keep it and enjoy my life style. I traded one load of problems for another. I'll take the advantages of the travel even with the problems over the other "advantages" of the past problems.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Hmmm, heard that line for over 15 years as well, but RV sales are up consistently since 2009, reaching the 1/2 million mark 2016, yet I don't see quality improvements in any brand. Americans don't buy quality, they buy price.
Each year in early Oct we head to OKC for the Morgan Horse National show. Normally we see a ton of Montanas on the road and in RV parks where we overnight. When we hauled horses to the show, we made the trip with only two overnights. Now we take about a week to get back there. 😁 The first day on the road my husband commented that it was interesting how few Montanas we saw this year. We're on our way back to N Calif and the abnormal scarcity of Montanas has continued throughout our travels. Have no idea what stats are but we know what we see. Or I should say don't see. You're right that quality has taken a nose dive. We looked at 5th wheels for a couple of years before we bought our RW. We could see the quality in many brands go downhill. Some of us while caring about price look for quality. That's what we thought we were getting with our RW.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:47 AM   #34

My husband and I have friends with A class motor homes and they too have problems with their RVs. I'd rather have to repair and fix my RW for what I paid for it than have basically the same issues on the class A motor homes at the prices they paid

Old 10-20-2017, 05:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Each year in early Oct we head to OKC for the Morgan Horse National show. Normally we see a ton of Montanas on the road and in RV parks where we overnight. When we hauled horses to the show, we made the trip with only two overnights. Now we take about a week to get back there. �� The first day on the road my husband commented that it was interesting how few Montanas we saw this year. We're on our way back to N Calif and the abnormal scarcity of Montanas has continued throughout our travels. Have no idea what stats are but we know what we see. Or I should say don't see. You're right that quality has taken a nose dive. We looked at 5th wheels for a couple of years before we bought our RW. We could see the quality in many brands go downhill. Some of us while caring about price look for quality. That's what we thought we were getting with our RW.
I hadn't been following Montana for a while since we sold our last one, but I remember they were #1 for many years according to them. Looks like they still are for 15 years now according to them. But you are right, I rarely see a new one. Lots of the older ones. Maybe I don't even recognize them anymore.

North America's #1 Selling Luxury Fifth Wheel for 15 Consecutive Years. The right inspiration leads you to achieve greatness whether you are vacationing, adventuring or just relaxing. Montana fifth wheels enable you to achieve all three. To do this, Montana designs fifth wheels to provide enduring pleasure over the long haul and in every aspect of the ownership experience. Montana builds RVs that inspire.

I will add that our 2007 Montana was the most trouble free RV we had to date, but our RW was by far our favorite 5er.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:24 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnjess View Post
My husband and I have friends with A class motor homes and they too have problems with their RVs. I'd rather have to repair and fix my RW for what I paid for it than have basically the same issues on the class A motor homes at the prices they paid

ya, expenses and repairs are relative to the price paid. Tires, service, plates, all higher. Fortunately our only big hit so far was coach batteries because I left the inverter connected without realizing it over the winter. Our RW didn't have the residential fridge, so inverters are kind of a new game to me.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:57 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnjess View Post

RV= problems due to their manufacturing methods.

BUT there’s a world of differences between the DP motor homes and the 5th wheels in regards to the construction and quality. Unfortunately, they all use pretty much the same suppliers, which leads to some of the same problems. And they all struggle with getting the workers to care and keeping up with the demand.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:00 AM   #38

I think it has been said before on the site but I will say it again.
The best part of my warrantee was when it was up and over with. No more calling RW for anything. I just fix it myself now or call my mobile guy.

RW did repair every issue I had during the warrantee period with no problems except having to bring it to the service center once. The quality is and always will be an issue but I have nothing but good things to say about the service RW gave me.

Steve
Old 10-23-2017, 01:34 AM   #39

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I agree Steve
We had some issues when ours was new and Redwood
Looked after us. I have always used a mobile tech instead of dealership on things I did not want to repair. For these guys it's their livelihood and most know what they are doing, unlike dealerships that put some kid making 5.00 an hr that has no clue. With the way all manufactors are pumping these things out I have no interest at even looking at new ones
Old 10-23-2017, 02:55 AM   #40

As much as I hate to say this, maybe it’s time for some competition from the Far East in the RV industry, similar to what happened to the auto industry in the ‘70’s resulting in superior quality in American autos/trucks.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote