Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

we have a 2012 36FL with 3 fantastic fans with rain sensors each run on it's own thermostat. One in the br that is an in or out, one in the bath that is out only and one in the kitchen that is also an out only. A couple of months ago the fan in the kitchen would run for about a minute then the motor would slowly stop; replaced it under warranty. Now the Bathroom fan will open but the fan will not run... kinda hesitant to call Terry @ Redwood because it wasn't that long ago that he shipped us an new one for the kitchen. Feel Like we might be doing something wrong so here is our typical operating sequence... the thermostat is in the off position... when we want to use the fan, we move the lever toward a higher temp until the cover opens and the fan comes on. when we are finished with the fan, the lever on the thermostat is moved back to the off position and the cover slowly closes and the fan stops spinning... Since there really isn't an on/off switch other than the thermostat, are we doing it correctly? Have we caused the fan to fail?
marandjwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #2

That's how it is supposed to work. Ours too doesn't always work either. What we do is pull the knerled knob down about a 1/4 of an inch, turn it and open the vent cover with the thermostat on. The fan starts then.

We have found that the purple automotive degreaser works wonders with a paper towel to remove any grease buildup and then the fan works as it should.

Just remember to pull the fuse on the fan and push the knreled knob back up.

Edited by: Adamsvr
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

There should be fantastic operation instructions in with the other books and instructions for the other appliances etc. that came with your RV. In fact there should be one for each fan you have. You can go to the fantastic web site where they list the different models available and a brief description on how they work.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #4

there are instructions and we have been using the fans several times daily for the past 4 months and they worked as I described... the other 2 work just fine... move the lever on the thermostat from off to about 50 degrees, the cover opens a couple of inches and the fan comes on... the bathroom fan used to work this way until this morning... when I move the lever to about 50 degree position, the cover opens but the fan does not come on... also, might add that this same bathroom fan cover now will open and close using the thermostat even when the switch on the fan in the ceiling is OFF... the ceilings are more than 8 feet and well outside of my reach even with a 2 step ladder which I am not about to drag out every time I want to use a fan that used to work as I expected it to.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #5

Yeah, I agree the control is WAY TOO HIGH.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifRaff
Yeah, I agree the control is WAY TOO HIGH.
We never use them, I have to have filtered air for my allergies. I will never break the seals on the windows either, they could have made them not to open.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #7

all better... the pressure/spring loaded button/switch under the cover had stuck in the down/off position most likely because of the moisture being removed after a shower. a little WD-40 and manual manipulation and everything works perfectly again!!! YA!