Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 03:54 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Mine just got approved to be fixed by Redwood under the 5 year structural warranty.

Sent from my Toaster
How is the repair going to done?

Mark
Old 08-22-2015, 03:54 AM   #142

Square corners are always stress risers. That does not mean that there are always failures in square corners. In the coach application, frames flex. The bedroom slide is located at a flex action point. The lower corner focussed the stress and the fiber glass cracks. Redwood releases the fiberglass skin so it can move. Then if you cover the area with trim, it can move and not be seen. The fiberglass is protected.
Excessive frame flex is another problem. LCI engineers designed the fifth wheel frame to withstand a reasonably expected number of stress cycles due to road travel. To ensure that loads are within design parameters, LCI established acceptable fifth wheel flex values. My 40KB may or may not have been included in the original design calculations.
The crack from the bedroom slide and a very thorough technician at LCI service uncovered excessive flex of my frame. Reinforcing the fifth wheel section of the frame put my coach back into acceptable design criteria.
A 40KB is a unique length, non-standard length. That said, the standard length Redwood Coach should be within standard risk designs.
If unsure, just measure the pin deflection.

Travel on in style.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #143

I just took our RW to the dealer for some maintenance and he noted the stress crack and will fix it. He showed me some new RW units that have the "T" piece installed vertically from the corner of the slide opening going down to the bottom of the gelcoat.

As others have noted, a bit of frame flex is normal and is to be expected on all trailers, the problem is that there is no flex in the gelcoat, that's what is causing the cracking. Having gone through excessive frame flexing on other trailers (one of our Titaniums had between 1 and 2 inches of flex when the weight was taken off the legs when hitching up, it had to be repaired) I'm not worried about the cosmetic issue of the gelcoat, the frame itself seems rigid enough.

Hopefully I'll get the front and rear caps re-painted under warranty as well on this maintenance visit.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:00 AM   #144
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
How is the repair going to done?

Mark

Not sure, I think they'll do the repair next week. Once I get details I'll post back here.

Sent from my Toaster
Old 08-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Maybe at the 2016 rally they'll say the suspension isn't covered anymore since they never have problems with it.
You'll be pleased to know that thanks to a couple of your fellow owners, we are making BIG changes (for the better) in things like the suspension, door hinges, etc. All things that have come up on the forums :-) So, Rally 2016 should only be bringing you guys good news!

Another great idea they gave us/Andy, was to start keeping track of denied warranty claims. Not just WHO was denied, but what specific technical issue was denied. That way, we can monitor parts and pieces on the Redwood that are not doing their job- and hopefully start catching some of these issues early on! We already keep track of who was denied and what issue was turned away, but as of a few weeks ago, there was no way to keep track of specific reoccurring issues. As of right now, a tracking system is being developed and implemented. :-)

This doesn't perfect the process, or negate what some of you guys are struggling with...but KNOW that you are being heard. Know also that quite a few of your fellow owners have been in direct contact with us, and are constantly letting us know HOW we can build a better product, and a better company. Moral of the story: we won't be able to fix all of these issues over night, but you guys are helping us move in a good direction!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #146

All good news Christian! Definitely on the right path and shows you folks care!

And thanks Yale for pointing out to Andy that the denials weren't necessarily being tracked, so Management didn't really have a good handle on some of the common issues showing up.

It would be helpful if the improvements could be available to retrofit on our existing units, even for a cost.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #147

Great news Christian!!!! As said there isn't a perfect RV on the market. My wife does consulting with the RV industry and some of the horror stories these people go through are tremendous. It goes from the pop-up all the way to the big Prevost. I don't know of many RV manufactures that are listening to their customers. Glad to hear this.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #148

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Thanks again Christian
Old 08-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #149
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianM View Post
You'll be pleased to know that thanks to a couple of your fellow owners, we are making BIG changes (for the better) in things like the suspension, door hinges, etc. All things that have come up on the forums :-) So, Rally 2016 should only be bringing you guys good news!

Another great idea they gave us/Andy, was to start keeping track of denied warranty claims. Not just WHO was denied, but what specific technical issue was denied. That way, we can monitor parts and pieces on the Redwood that are not doing their job- and hopefully start catching some of these issues early on! We already keep track of who was denied and what issue was turned away, but as of a few weeks ago, there was no way to keep track of specific reoccurring issues. As of right now, a tracking system is being developed and implemented. :-)

This doesn't perfect the process, or negate what some of you guys are struggling with...but KNOW that you are being heard. Know also that quite a few of your fellow owners have been in direct contact with us, and are constantly letting us know HOW we can build a better product, and a better company. Moral of the story: we won't be able to fix all of these issues over night, but you guys are helping us move in a good direction!

Christian,

Thanks for the update. This can and should benefit Redwood to know and better understand the issues that their customers are having with the product. These types of actions can only make Redwood and even better supplier of a great product.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
All good news Christian! Definitely on the right path and shows you folks care!

And thanks Yale for pointing out to Andy that the denials weren't necessarily being tracked, so Management didn't really have a good handle on some of the common issues showing up.

It would be helpful if the improvements could be available to retrofit on our existing units, even for a cost.
Thanks Brad,
I was happy to convey what (I felt) many were thinking. I do believe that many of the changes That happen will be made available through some source for Redwood. I believe at this point Redwood is trying to determine the best upgrades to discovered issues to use and also how to go about making them available to owners both in and out of warranty. I think you will see some retrofits made available to all very soon maybe for a fee on some of them but I'm ok with that as long as I can get them!

Thank You Christian, Andy and his team are listening to their customers. I agree all this will do is make Redwood a better product. I really feel by tracking denied claims you will find some issues early, limit the problem and make it right by the owner quickly. once again making Redwood stand above other brands.

I do know one thing Redwood is giving a try is sending out a welcome/feedback letter to owners at their 1 year anniversary of ownership. This gives the owner a direct line to Redwood to either vent or praise the product. It gives Redwood direct feedback from owners that will not be washed down or lost by dealers. Also I think the timing is very good, the unit is still under warranty so if an owner is struggling with an issue wether it's a dealer or just a problem it gives Redwood the opportunity to reach out to the customer to get it resolved while still covered. It should also give them things owners would like to see added or changed and also feedback on the many things Redwood is doing right. This is a Great thing I think, I hope it works out .... If you get one please take the time to respond, both good and critique.

Good things happening at Redwood these days!
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #151

This is all GREAT news for all Redwood owners in my eyes ! And a HUGE shout out to Yale for being instrumental in getting to this point ! Now lets hope he gets his leg back and starts enjoying his Redwood instead of just looking at it ! Thank You Yale for everything.....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #152
Site Team

Christian, Thanks for the feedback. It is good news that RW is paying attention and putting a process in to monitor the problems. Should be beneficial to both owners and RW.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford truck guy View Post
This is all GREAT news for all Redwood owners in my eyes ! And a HUGE shout out to Yale for being instrumental in getting to this point ! Now lets hope he gets his leg back and starts enjoying his Redwood instead of just looking at it ! Thank You Yale for everything.....
Thanks Joe,
You as well were instrumental getting things going, it's awesome Redwood has seen this as an opportunity to be even better.
And I agree with you, I sure would like to get my leg back so I can use my Redwood! I want to get the torqlifts on and give them a try! Thanks a bunch!
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
Thanks Brad,
I was happy to convey what (I felt) many were thinking. I do believe that many of the changes That happen will be made available through some source for Redwood. I believe at this point Redwood is trying to determine the best upgrades to discovered issues to use and also how to go about making them available to owners both in and out of warranty. I think you will see some retrofits made available to all very soon maybe for a fee on some of them but I'm ok with that as long as I can get them!
Thanks as well Yale for stepping forward when I was being called a "liar" in the video. Andy was not in a listening mood when he called me early in game. I think now he understands that we do have some passions for these rigs and we have nothing to gain by making up stuff, but we aren't going to sit down and take nonsense from the manufacturer either.

You made more progress in one call than the owners group did in 6 months! You should run
Old 08-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #155

Yale, we all owe you a debt of gratitude for being a great communicator and representing us all so transparently. Open discussions are still the best way to resolve issues. Thanks so much!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #156

Quote:
Thanks as well Yale for stepping forward when I was being called a "liar" in the video. Andy was not in a listening mood when he called me early in game. I think now he understands that we do have some passions for these rigs and we have nothing to gain by making up stuff, but we aren't going to sit down and take nonsense from the manufacturer either.

You made more progress in one call than the owners group did in 6 months! You should run
Maybe you should nominate.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dogs View Post
Thanks Brad,

Thank You Christian, Andy and his team are listening to their customers. I agree all this will do is make Redwood a better product. I really feel by tracking denied claims you will find some issues early, limit the problem and make it right by the owner quickly. once again making Redwood stand above other brands.

I do know one thing Redwood is giving a try is sending out a welcome/feedback letter to owners at their 1 year anniversary of ownership. This gives the owner a direct line to Redwood to either vent or praise the product. It gives Redwood direct feedback from owners that will not be washed down or lost by dealers. Also I think the timing is very good, the unit is still under warranty so if an owner is struggling with an issue wether it's a dealer or just a problem it gives Redwood the opportunity to reach out to the customer to get it resolved while still covered. It should also give them things owners would like to see added or changed and also feedback on the many things Redwood is doing right. This is a Great thing I think, I hope it works out .... If you get one please take the time to respond, both good and critique.

Good things happening at Redwood these days!
Well Yale - I hate to say it, but I think the only thing Redwood has on their plate is introducing their new 39RD. I haven't heard anything back on a fix for the suspension, a retrofit kit, or anything else that was used to puff up our sails

I'm not impatient, but I am aging............
Old 09-29-2015, 10:51 PM   #158

Quote:
Well Yale - I hate to say it, but I think the only thing Redwood has on their plate is introducing their new 39RD. I haven't heard anything back on a fix for the suspension, a retrofit kit, or anything else that was used to puff up our sails

I'm not impatient, but I am aging............
Well, hopefully you don't age too terribly much over next little bit.

We haven't stopped getting the issues above taken care of, but we were all out of town for the last couple weeks for some big shows. :-) Please know that nothing was said to "puff up your sails" or put you off until a later date...but some of this stuff doesn't happen overnight. I have been in countless meetings with both Andy and our design guys since our call with Yale, and the ball is still rolling.

Even if you've gotten frustrated with us in the past, know that my sole purpose for being employed at Redwood is to make your experience as an owner better. Which means being true to our word AND making strides to make our product better than it ever has been before. Which is something we take very seriously.
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:11 PM   #159

Thanks for the update Christian!
Old 09-29-2015, 11:14 PM   #160

Last I heard was that the Lippert Center Point was to be offered as an alternative to the Mor/ryde IS. While not IS it should help provide a better ride for the RW.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote