Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 04:59 AM   #121

Mine cracked last year on a 45. It was fixed without the H piece and with a painted to match piece of aluminum glued over it. I have no idea what was done underneath. I expected the crack to reappear but hasn't so far.

Mark
Old 08-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechguyjim View Post
I put the piece of t rail in and sealed it it's never moved after that
Beechguyjim, did you dremel or cut from the slide crease to the trim or just where it cracked? Mine is cracked just below the slide crease and down about 5-6 inches. Trying to figure out if I need to cut from the crease down to the trim or just what is already cracked. Thanks.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #123

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Buddy ~ that (washer/dryer) doesn't matter at all. The lower left corner of the opening for the bedroom slide is a stress point. It's not a question of if, but when, the crack will start. More it's pulled, more likely the crack will happen. It's not structural, is the same as getting a gel coat crack in a boat. Not a big deal and is relatively easy to fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechguyjim View Post
I put the piece of t rail in and sealed it it's never moved after that
Where did you get the t rail? Mine is starting to crack beneath the bedroom slide also.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:13 AM   #124

I'll try to remember to take a picture of it and post it it was an easy fix
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #125

On my 40KB, the side wall on the driver's side, front edge cracked.
I took the coach to LCI. The problem was excessive frame deflection in the fifth wheel overhang of the coach. You can use a Dremel tool to extend the crack to the edge, paint and install new trim. The problem is not fixed. There is still excessive flexing of the fifth wheel frame members. To check it out, set the pin on heavy supports. Lift the jacks to put full weight on the pin. LCI has a pin scale. Measure the ground to pin height. Raise the jacks to remove pin weigh. Measure again. If the deflection is more than an 1/8", you need reinforcement. Redwood service gets LCI service to get up in the frame and reinforce the frame members.
Without this, there will be a constant excessive movement that can rupture frame members and cause body disfiguration in the future.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #126

They actually did that for you TravelFit? Sounds like the old Keystone frame flex days.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #127

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Maybe that is why the KB was discontinued. to heavy a body for the frame
Old 08-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #128
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
They actually did that for you TravelFit? Sounds like the old Keystone frame flex days.

mmmmmm...tell me again why the 5 year frame warranty was eliminated
Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
mmmmmm...tell me again why the 5 year frame warranty was eliminated
Yes they did under Waranty.

I purchased the Redwood 40KB to be the high end, full time, I love to travel Coach advertised by Redwood. Unfortunately, I purchased while the words were on the page, yet the transition to reality was still in progress.

Redwood came through and fulfilled their commitment. They exceeded expectations in various areas. The Coach was there for 3 months. Was it easy to get the work done? Absolutely not.

I chose to take the Coach to the factory Service Centers (LCI and Redwood). I did not want to trust "factory authorized service centers" for foundation modifications. As it turned out, LCI and Redwood were very familiar with the dysfunctions and effectively resolved the issues.

A $100,000+ retail cost coach should exceed all expectations.
Redwood needs to get in high gear and stay there. They seem to be trying.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #130

Shane not just the KB, mine is an RL and there are many other models with same issue. The Montana was famous for it. If the frame is flexing that much, not sure what the fix is for rigs having this problem. Dave you hit the nail on the head.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Yes they did under Waranty.

I purchased the Redwood 40KB to be the high end, full time, I love to travel Coach advertised by Redwood. Unfortunately, I purchased while the words were on the page, yet the transition to reality was still in progress.

Redwood came through and fulfilled their commitment. They exceeded expectations in various areas. The Coach was there for 3 months. Was it easy to get the work done? Absolutely not.

I chose to take the Coach to the factory Service Centers (LCI and Redwood). I did not want to trust "factory authorized service centers" for foundation modifications. As it turned out, LCI and Redwood were very familiar with the dysfunctions and effectively resolved the issues.

A $100,000+ retail cost coach should exceed all expectations.
Redwood needs to get in high gear and stay there. They seem to be trying.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #132

You are late to the party
The 38gk we had experienced a long time ago and we were very part time travelers....

Until the crack appeared I always thought it was the neat air bagged hitch floating up and down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Burleson-Joshua-20140315-00192.jpg (139.0 KB, 6 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #133

On my 08 KZ , I had exactly the same crack as above... took it to the factory and their fix was cutting the sidewall , and placing a piece of molding in that area.. all the years after , I never had another issue..
below is my 16... the fix on my 08 looked almost exactly as the picture..

Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:14 PM   #134

Well, unless I am mistaken, (and we have that strip too on our 2015 RL) that fixes the SYMPTOM of the flexing, but does not fix the cause. Have they fixed the cause? Because constant flexing on over-burdened steel frame members will absolutely result in a failure eventually. Thoughts?

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #135
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanyLife View Post
Well, unless I am mistaken, (and we have that strip too on our 2015 RL) that fixes the SYMPTOM of the flexing, but does not fix the cause. Have they fixed the cause? Because constant flexing on over-burdened steel frame members will absolutely result in a failure eventually. Thoughts?
Not necessarily. Bridges flex as well as commercial buildings all the time and that's how they keep from breaking. It could be that this is harmless flexing however in the past, RV manufactures have had frame failures due to flexing. So it's anybody's guess.

It was because of past frame failures in other brands of RVs is why the 5 year frame warranty was so appealing to many people. It show confidence from those manufacturing these units. Now that 5 year warranty is gone. This could be read a couple of different ways.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #136

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFit View Post
On my 40KB, the side wall on the driver's side, front edge cracked.
I took the coach to LCI. The problem was excessive frame deflection in the fifth wheel overhang of the coach. You can use a Dremel tool to extend the crack to the edge, paint and install new trim. The problem is not fixed. There is still excessive flexing of the fifth wheel frame members. To check it out, set the pin on heavy supports. Lift the jacks to put full weight on the pin. LCI has a pin scale. Measure the ground to pin height. Raise the jacks to remove pin weigh. Measure again. If the deflection is more than an 1/8", you need reinforcement. Redwood service gets LCI service to get up in the frame and reinforce the frame members.
Without this, there will be a constant excessive movement that can rupture frame members and cause body disfiguration in the future.
This sure sounds like it qualifies under the 5 year structural warranty.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:42 PM   #137
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
This sure sounds like it qualifies under the 5 year structural warranty.

Mine just got approved to be fixed by Redwood under the 5 year structural warranty.

Sent from my Toaster
Old 08-22-2015, 12:04 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Mine just got approved to be fixed by Redwood under the 5 year structural warranty.

Sent from my Toaster
Hopefully, Redwood is beefing up the frame support on new models in lieu of providing the additional 5 year warranty. To tell us that foregoing the additional five year warranty is a good thing, as was clearly stated at the rally, makes no sense to me, especially when we keep hearing of current owners having to get necessary work done under this warranty extension.

If someone could please explain to me the logic behind this, I would be very grateful.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:12 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Guy's Gal View Post
Hopefully, Redwood is beefing up the frame support on new models in lieu of providing the additional 5 year warranty. To tell us that foregoing the additional five year warranty is a good thing, as was clearly stated at the rally, makes no sense to me, especially when we keep hearing of current owners having to get necessary work done under this warranty extension.

If someone could please explain to me the logic behind this, I would be very grateful.
I'm with Tracy, I missed the reason it is "good news".
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:13 AM   #140
Site Team

Maybe at the 2016 rally they'll say the suspension isn't covered anymore since they never have problems with it.