Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #1

Converter location on 39MB ??

Trying to locate the converter on my 2016 39MB. Can anyone help me ? Haven't diagnosed whether batteries or converter bad yet. Went out to exercise my gen. this morning & noticed dead batteries. Always plugged into shore power. One thing I can say for sure ......... terrible design of the battery compartment by Redwood..... not going to be fun getting those covers off & possibly having to replace batteries !!
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:38 PM   #2

UPDATE: Figured out that my unit has a combo Converter(charger) / Inverter. Anyone advise how to test this? Trying to figure if battery's or converter/inverter bad.
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #3

If your's is like ours, you have both an Inverter/Charger used to power the Residential Fridge and is mounted on the Front Bulkhead of the Basement, closer to the Street Side Door (right on the opposite side from the Batteries.
Then you have the main Converter that is part of the Power Distribution Panel, where all the Breakers and 12V fuses are located.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #4

Thanks much Michelle & Ann. Yep same unit as yours. Took delivery after you guys. Can’t believe these batteries would be shot already. Gonna be a real pain to replace ! I recall someone once mentioning an aftermarket sliding battery tray setup. Do you recall?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:02 PM   #5

One other thing. Do you know if the inverter/Charger or the converter by breaker panel keeps the battery charged when hooked up to shore power?
Old 07-09-2018, 12:51 AM   #6

If the Inverter is still "ON" both it and the Converter will charge the Batteries, provided the Battery Disconnect is in the proper position.
What does the display show on the Inverter Remote just inside the Door show?? If the Inverter is in the ON position it will display the status of the Batteries.
We're still using the OEM batteries, but I did add two additional batteries right after we took delivery. All I've done is top them off with Distilled Water twice a year. Our unit is always plugged in or in travel, but the inverter is never turned off, that way if there is a power outage it will keep the fridge and it's contents cold.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 07-09-2018, 01:25 AM   #7

Display shows "float" 13.2 amps & "battery status" indicator indicates full charge (up by slide out controls, etc.) but slide outs don't have enough "juice" unless plugged into "shore power". Gen. starter dosent work at all on batteries only and only 1/10 sec spurts when plugged in. Strange. My stepson will eventually will be stoppng by to help diagnose but I'm just trying to narrow it down a bit. Think my next step will be to hook jumper cables up tomorrow to see if the gen. at least cranks over.......
Old 07-09-2018, 01:31 AM   #8

Have you had the battery box covers off so you can check the water in the batteries and the tightness of all the battery connections? Just like an Auto, you can have a loose connection that would run the radio but not crank the engine.
Also check the wires going into/out of the battery disconnect switch, had an issue on our '12 36RL where one of the nuts was ready to fall off the terminal, giving some real strange symtoms.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:25 AM   #9

Good info. thanks, appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #10

After the unit has been plugged in for a while the Inverter Remote should show a Status of Full Charge and Battery 13.7. Plus if you're reading only 13.2 on Float that's low, should be 14.5 approx.
If you don't find anything loose, I'd pull the batteries and take them somewhere to be load tested, you may have a cell or two that's bad.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #11

Thanks... I was just going to post this other question and saw your reply so maybe you can help since you have a 39MB. What's the secret to get the darn battery box tops off to check the batteries???? What a royal pain in the *** ! Took screws out securing the top(s) but battery cables protruding prevent ya from lifting them up. What a lousy design !!! Thinking of just cutting them off & then replacing with new plastic battery box covers modified to slip around cables.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
Thanks much Michelle & Ann. Yep same unit as yours. Took delivery after you guys. Can’t believe these batteries would be shot already. Gonna be a real pain to replace ! I recall someone once mentioning an aftermarket sliding battery tray setup. Do you recall?
My OEM group 27 Interstate batteries lasted exactly 4 years with water added & other maintenance 2 - 3 times a year & being plugged in everyday. So if your dealer installed a lesser battery they could be shot.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #13

Thanks...... these are the "stock" batteries. A little over 3 years old. Have to admit that I've never checked them until now because they make it so difficult to get these darn battery covers off (see my post back to Michelle) to check. Have just kept it plugged into shore power & now I'm probably paying the price.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:45 PM   #14

I took delivery of my 16 RL in July of 2015.. I ordered the residential appliance package that came with the *upgraded* group 31 batteries ( 2 ) ..

I HAD to replace those batteries last summer, so I bit the bullet and upgraded to 2 of the Lifeline group 31 AGM's..

When I load tested, 1 battery was completely dead and the other was just about in the low range..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #15

Yep I have the same residential setup on my 39MB. Did you cut off the plastic battery tray cover to gain axcess to batteries?
Old 07-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
Yep I have the same residential setup on my 39MB. Did you cut off the plastic battery tray cover to gain axcess to batteries?
No, I DID cut away the silicone that filled the voids between the wires and the holes in the battery covers.

Once I determined that I NEEDED to replace the batteries, I then disconnected the front battery, noting where each lead went to... I then removed that cover, and did the same for the rear battery cover..

I then put it all back together in reverse.. I will admit that i left out a few of the screws when putting it back together.. I also did not replace the sealant that filled the large holes drilled in the plastic caps.

The hardest part was lifting the old, then the NEW batteries into the box..

If I am not mistaken, the Lifelines are 70 pounds each,, lifting them into a confined space that makes it hard to use ALL muscles, just arms and shoulders..
Old 07-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #17

I cut the covers off, but since I added two more batteries I had to fab a box and cover attaching the vent tubes onto my new cover.
I would bet money that your batteries are dry with plates exposed. As I mentioned, I've added water twice a year for the past three years and probably gone through a quart or more every time on the 4 batteries. I know I have gone threw one gallon of distilled water and at least half way through a second, which would equal a a quart every time.
When the time comes to replace these, I'll be putting in AGMs.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #18

Thanks again...... yep, I'm betting that they must be dry which is probably causing the issue. As the old saying goes (which I didn't follow) look for the simplist cause of a problem FIRST!. Definitely going to Jerry -rig an easier way to get to the batteries. If they're shot, gonna replace them with AGM'S too. Will repost when I find out the issue
Old 07-10-2018, 01:40 AM   #19

If you change from Flooded to AGM, don’t you have to change something in the charger setting? My portable charger has a specific setting for AGM
Old 07-10-2018, 01:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
If you change from Flooded to AGM, don’t you have to change something in the charger setting? My portable charger has a specific setting for AGM

You do, I called the folks at magnum and they told me that there is a setting specifically for the AGM...They then told me exactly how to change the settings