Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 01:53 AM   #1

Convection Smell

When using the convection oven we are getting a smell like burning wires. No smell when just using the microwave. Any thoughts? Is the Frigidaire dying or do we have a bigger problem?

2013 36 RE
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:34 AM   #2

Just a thought! Is the vent flapper outside opened?
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #3

Another thought. GET RID OF IT! Ours had the same smell and about the 3rd we used it after that it started sparking.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:19 AM   #4

Any suggestions on a replacement micro wave/convection oven? Include brands and models if you can. I would hope to find a replacement that won’t require cabinet modifications.
Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #5

I have a 2012 36rl. I replaced my factory micro ( Frigidare) with a GE Profile Model PVM9179SK2SS. I don't remember if I had to dill new mounting holes in the upper cabinet. Make sure the fan is in the correct position to exhaust out the back not the front
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:49 PM   #6

We through out the old Micro/oven and got Americas most sold well maybe the most sold in the world model Sharp R1874. Costs slightly more than Walmart quality ones but is just works.

If the panel goes bad, or if something else brakes there is always parts. Think it has been around for at least 10 years. I paid $400 for it at HomeDepot.

We bought a microwave for our stick and brick home 10 years ago, branded Dacor and paid over $1,000 - turned out to be a Sharp R1874 inside!

Vent does not line up 100% but took one hour for our installation guy to mount it.
BasilFawlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
dmc

Had the same problem. There is a metal flapper on the back of the convection oven. On my redwood the opening cut in sidewall for the exhaust vent was slightly misaligned, keeping the flapper from opening all the way.

When you open the outside flap for the exhaust fan you can see the metal flapper. It should move freely when you pull on it. You can probably just file the edges of the opening a little bit.
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote