Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 04:36 AM   #1

Cold weather

I am a full timer and have been looking into relocating my job to the east coast. I was wondering what the best way to keep the interior warm enough (70 or so) without using propane. (Military rv parks don't charge for electric) I do have 1 heat pump located in the rear living area. I don't really believe in space heater due to safety issues.

Thank you to everyone that has answered one of my beginner questions, your responses have been much appreciated!
Bjesquivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:08 AM   #2

We use a couple Ceramic heaters and the fire place and we are quite comfortable but here in Oregon the temps are milder. The heat pumps work down to around 35 degrees after that you would want to use the Furnace so that heat is blown in the underbelly to keep water lines from freezing. You Could look into Cheapheat system and modify the furnace to use the elec coils. There have been a couple threads on this in the past.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #3

The better ceramic (Pelonis) heaters have an auto shut-off if it was to be knocked over for any reason. We have successfully kept our RW warm in sub 0 temps with three ceramics and the fireplace, all in action.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #4

I use two oil filled heaters and the fireplace. One oil filled heater sits at the end of the kitchen island by the stairs and the other inside the bedroom closet with the door open. I put a milk house heater in the basement to help keep the water lines from freezing. The milk house heater has tip over protection. This also makes the bedroom floor nice toasty in the cool mornings. The oil heater cannot be set any higher than the second heat setting or it trip the breaker when I turn on the coffee pot. These are only 15 amp circuits.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

While the small electric heaters are fine for keeping YOU warm, they do nothing for the underbelly water lines, tanks, ice maker lines, water pumps, etc...

Trust me, the water under there WILL freeze if the furnace (or some other heat source) is not on down there. A heated intake water hose helps that, but for other things, some have done 200 watt incandescent bulbs strategically placed down there - they DO out off heat.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote