Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #1

I have some questions and concerns about the RW and its climate tests that Redwood has conducted. So I figured I would ask some fellow RW owners what their experiences have been. My question is, what is the coldest temps you all have been in and how warm does the RW's get/stay?

I plan on Full timing for at least 3 years and of all places in Alaska. The temp there during the winter months can get down to -20, so I am just curious if anyone one here has stayed in their RW in this type of environment.

If a RW rep is reading this and can expand on their sub zero tests that would be great. What was the temp during those tests and for how long were those tests conducted. Thanks.

ChrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
I have some questions and concerns about the RW and its climate tests that Redwood has conducted. So I figured I would ask some fellow RW owners what their experiences have been. My question is, what is the coldest temps you all have been in and how warm does the RW's get/stay?

I plan on Full timing for at least 3 years and of all places in Alaska. The temp there during the winter months can get down to -20, so I am just curious if anyone one here has stayed in their RW in this type of environment.

If a RW rep is reading this and can expand on their sub zero tests that would be great. What was the temp during those tests and for how long were those tests conducted. Thanks.

WOW! I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm too much, but, I would bevery concerned about thinking you could live in any travel trailer for very long in those kind of tempuratures. Even though you may see a lot of marketing hyperbole about insulation packages, be very cautious and use some common sense. The walls are only 2 inches thick.At -20 F, I doubt that the furnace would be capable to raise the temperature over 60 F. Plus it would run all the time to do so. Plus you would need a very large LP tank to keep it running. If you could find a trailer with 4 inches of foam insulation in the walls, ceiling and floors, you might have a chance to withstand those kind of temperautres.

My suggestion is to be very, very thourough in your research.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #3

We spoke to some Redwood folks in FL that said they were parked next to a fella that just wintered in Canada working in the gas fields in a Redwood and the temp were down in the -40 & -50 below with no freeze up's. This is second hand info, but I though that was pretty good even if it was -20 below. We have already experienced 28 degree temps and the furnace work very well. Held the temp at 65 all night not working hard at all. We were hoping to be in FL this winter but it looks like the house is going to take a little longer to sell.So looks like we might have to winterize it for this winter.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA

A few thingsI would do. wherethe outside floor meets theI-beam, seal it with caulking, as cold airwill get in and heated air from the heaterwill get out. pull the belly pan. install ridged insulation on the inside of the I-beams and addadditional insulation around the holding tanks, but not to block the heated air travel from the heat duct to the tanks. This will prevent a lot of heat loss.The only insulation that is down there, is a 1/8 inch sheet of thermo berrier, resting on the belly pan. Iwould also add insulation on the belly pan, before re-install it. Then seal, the areas where the belly pan has caps, between the frame and pan.This would help.

Lillyputz
Old 09-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #5

We've been down to -26 in a big motorhome and the walls all had ice crystals where there was no circulation. Closests, behind couchs/chairs etc. It will be interesting to see what happens this winter as we will be retreating to our new home away from home our (36RL) this winter at our campground. We'll let you know. I will say that the heat pump really works well in the forties. Next month will be the true test as we will have to turn on the gas furnace when it gets into the thirties.