Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 01:50 AM   #1
Site Team

Check your fire extinguisher

All the time I had my Redwood, I never took the time to look at the fire extinguisher but I knew it was there. The folks who bought my Redwood from the dealership called me and asked if I had ever looked at it. Apparently during a safety check it was determined that Redwood had shipped the trailer out with a fire extinguisher that wasn't suitable for a generator fire.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
All the time I had my Redwood, I never took the time to look at the fire extinguisher but I knew it was there. The folks who bought my Redwood from the dealership called me and asked if I had ever looked at it. Apparently during a safety check it was determined that Redwood had shipped the trailer out with a fire extinguisher that wasn't suitable for a generator fire.

Any idea which type is needed? Is there a universal one that should be used?
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #3

I replaced my tiny one with two Halon extinguishers (5lb and 11lb). They're pricey, but you don't want the mess of using a cheap dry chemical in your Redwood or it will be totaled just from the release. If you've ever had to use one, you know what I mean. The "cure" is almost worse than "the disease".
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:32 PM   #4

If you ever have the opportunity to attend one of Mac's presentations, DO IT!

HOME

BTW, the SS20 extinguisher can be used for generator/electrical fires as well. And no, I'm not hawking the product line. Mac is a supporter of Escapees, of which we're members. Actually, this is a presentation that should be made at the RW Rally this year.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:24 AM   #5

The fire extinguisher provided is only suitable for a kitchen fire - or small class A. It is intended for control and escape, not engagement into an actual fire in the generator compartment.

Until you get into a 20lb dry chem, you are not prepared for a generator fire. Halon is only as good as the area air flow. If you extinguish a fire in your kitchen for an open grease fire with Halon 1211 and you have your hood running, the hood will evacuate the Halon gas out the exhaust and you will have a more violent fire than you started with when it flashes back, often in your face while you are staring at the fine work you did. Halon really doesn't have a purpose on an RV. Boats yes, RVs no. Dry Chem and water are the only effective extinguishers for RVs.

Sorry, but Mac is an idiot in my opinion.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #6

I agree with Brad, the best use of the extinguisher in your rv is to use it to break out a window to escape when you can't open the escape window that's behind the ladder. If you have a generator fire the best plan is to stand way back & watch it burn & have full replacement insurance, cause if you've ever seen one burn it goes really quick.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
The fire extinguisher provided is only suitable for a kitchen fire - or small class A. It is intended for control and escape, not engagement into an actual fire in the generator compartment.

Until you get into a 20lb dry chem, you are not prepared for a generator fire. Halon is only as good as the area air flow. If you extinguish a fire in your kitchen for an open grease fire with Halon 1211 and you have your hood running, the hood will evacuate the Halon gas out the exhaust and you will have a more violent fire than you started with when it flashes back, often in your face while you are staring at the fine work you did. Halon really doesn't have a purpose on an RV. Boats yes, RVs no. Dry Chem and water are the only effective extinguishers for RVs.

Sorry, but Mac is an idiot in my opinion.
Who said anything about Halon being used inside an RV?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote