Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Site Team

OK, first you have to understand that I fly, and as such am used to using checklists for most everything (as we get older, memory starts to suck and I can hide my own Easter Eggs ).

Anyone have any checklists they use for Hook up, Set - Up, Winterizing, etc that they could share with a Newbie ? I'm familiar with winterizing boats, but I'm sure I'll miss something on the coach that I hadn't thought of.

Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions !!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Vaughan,

I think it was Steve (aka travelinanderson) that had a good list for winterizing your unit if you check some of his posts. Just like flying, while I'm hooking up or unhooking I don't let someone distract me with chatter. The one piece of advice I give everyone is to ALWAYS check the handle of the 5th wheel and ALWAYS shine a flashlight at the jaws of the 5th wheel before you drive off.

For 20 years I drove and taught people how to drive big trucks and there was always somebody dropping a trailer that they swore was hooked up. This became VERY serious with baffle-less tankers.

Sort of like those 3 green lights on the control panel of an airplane, check them....check them and then check them again.....there's no point in shining up the bottom side of the airplane.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #3

Vaughan,

We also use checklists for everything in the marine industry.

I have to take a driving test for a BClicence endorsement and am planning on developing a series of checklists for the pre-trip inspection and all procedures with the coach. Planning to start developing them next month and don't mind sharing when the first draft is complete.

Also would appreciate copies of anything you have. Email addresscardinalpoints.marine@shaw.ca

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #4

Vaughan, My wife found all kinds of check list on the net. We have a couple printed out and have yet made one that works for us. The biggest thing is don't get distacted while unhooking or hooking up. You will not know what you miss, my wife and I missed that the tail gate was up when we unhitched. Yea you can imagine what happened next. Some yelling and $2500 later a new tail gate. Oh well happens to everyone, we are hoping this is our biggest problem
jimnlee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Be sure to check tires and air them up cold...also check air pressure on tri glide (60 to 70 lbs ) when trailer is attached to tow vehicle
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnlee2000

Vaughan, My wife found all kinds of check list on the net. We have a couple printed out and have yet made one that works for us. The biggest thing is don't get distacted while unhooking or hooking up. You will not know what you miss, my wife and I missed that the tail gate was up when we unhitched. Yea you can imagine what happened next. Some yelling and $2500 later a new tail gate. Oh well happens to everyone, we are hoping this is our biggest problem
Learn to laugh at yourself and silly mistakes. If you do the same thing twice.....see a doctor.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #7

My hubby is working on an RV checklist app for the iPhone. I will let you guys know when it's ready!
TV - 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Thanks golfgal...good idea
Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #9

golfgal,

On your App, #1when you "Arrive" should be "Did you drop the tailgate?" Ha Ha.

So easy to unplug, unlock the hitch and then drive forwardwithout dropping the gate. It looks so "normal" when it's closed. I scratched thetop of minelast Summer (and got away for a $59 molding), but several here have been even more 'unfortunate'.

Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #10

I like the idea of a checklist on a smart phone because you usually always have it on you. Unfortunately I have an Android system. Is anyone out there working on a checklist for Android phones?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 PM   #11

All,
Do like Santa... make a list... check it twice. Then go to Staples and have a recipe card checklist laminated for various things and keep them in the door pocket.
1. Drop tailgate
2. Back up truck
3. Hookup brakes
4. Set trailer brake and back pin into hitch... trailer brake on makes sure trailer does not push back... did that the first time... lots of yelling.
5. Close tailgate
6. Raise jacks
7. Check lights
8. Circle walk truck and trailer... nothing left on ground or hooked up... power cord?
9. Extend mirrors
10. Truck in gear, trailer brake applied to check brakes

Similar list on reverse side to pull into spot and set-up. Last time we set-up last summer, we timed 9 minutes from trailer backed into spot to leveled, slides out, hooked up, and a cool one poured under the awning.

ALWAYS have co-pilot check as you pull out of spot to ensure outside swing (blind spot) is clear. My first trip I creased the rear panel on our 38 BR from the wheel well to the back cap on the campsite hose bib when I turned sharp to exit the site... lots of swearing that day.

Edited by: BradPAjax
Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #12

Brad #8 don't forget the antenna if used and all doors secured and locked.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
Site Team

One thing I might add is to check and double check that the latch on the hitch is secured. To help in this I painted the actual latch that holds the hitch pin yellow so it easily visible during this check. My wife and both check it as part of our check list.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
Site Team

I would also add while you walk around the trailer to check all the jacks to be assured that they all were raised (I had one stay down once) and check the tires and springs. With the slides out it's hard to see these things.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #15

You probably already do this, but I check the lock pin on the hitcheverytime I return from leavingthe rigunattended (like rest areas &restaurant parking lots). I've read where pranksters can pull the arm and open the hitch jaws in seconds -while you're inside. Some people go a step further and replace the pin with a smalllockjust to be safe.

Since my Reese Elite hitch is removable, I replaced the pins on the lockdown arms withsmall locks to prevent removal while my dualie isparked in those sometimes remote "RV Parking" areas.These removable hitches are expensive and valuable- not to mention the aftermathif you should return to your truck and your hitch is gone.Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
Site Team

Mike,

you're right I always check the jaws with a flashlight even in the daylight.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #17

All,

Good ideas about the pin... my Reese hitch has a Master padlock. Other thing I found when parked is I could not get the runaway brake tether off unless the trailer and truck were aligned straight so I unhook it BEFORE I back into my spot.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #18

All,

On Checklists, break them up into smaller groups that can be done up two people to save time. My wife does the interior check while I dump tanks at the site (if full service) and unhook water, sewer, and power. In the meantime, my wife checks the following:
1. Windows closed
2. Blinds closed
3. All cupboard doors closed and latched
4. Sink and stove counter "lids" stowed
5. Vents closed
6. Antenna lowered
7. Diva Closet latched
8. Bathroom pocket door bungeed
9. Shower caddy placed on shower floor and shower door locked
10. Bedroom door open to allow us to move slide to stowed position
11. Living Room TV latched
12. Remotes stowed
13. BR Office door closed (dinette slide will smash door if open)
14. Lights off
15. Awning stowed
16. Slides brought in
17. Doors closed and secured
18. Stairs stowed

I do outside check stowing chairs, outdoor carpet, BBQ, moving picnic table clear of the trailer.

Once I get the All Clear on interior checklist, I do the hook up check list.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #19

I would add check to make sure you have all your keys before drving away. My wife had set her keys on the bumper of my truck while we were hooking up once and we drove away. Extra truck, house and camper keys. Lots of yelling once we got home and relalized they were gone.They were never found again, I think they are in the land of lost toys.
TwoMuttsToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #20

Yup... I keep a spare set of every key for vehicle, truck, and house in one of the little cubby holders on the door of my truck, a set in my wife's purse, and a set on my key chain. Worst case scenario is a call to CAA / AAA to open the truck to retrieve a set of keys.