Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #21

How long does it suggest to wait between filter changes?Edited by: pipeliner798
pipeliner798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #22

Just cleaned the screens on the sink faucets. Woogh! Lots of build material in there. This was the second cleaning.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #23

we've been rv'ing for a WHILE now and just like at home we drink bottled water only -
is it really better? dunno, but the wife thinks it is,
so therefore it is ! absolutely dear
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo
we've been rv'ing for a WHILE now and just like at home we drink bottled water only -
is it really better? dunno, but the wife thinks it is,
so therefore it is ! absolutely dear
Normally we use bottled water, but I wanted the filter because of the ice maker. I wasn't even thinking about it and I noticed my buddies ice in his glass was the tint of mud. He was running without a filter in a campground in South Dakota. My ice was crystal clear, and when I pulled the original filter out, it was packed with silt and the water was black. I've checked it since then at other campgrounds and not near as dramatic, but that experience convinced me that I need the filter.

I was expecting to change it once a year, but it looks like I will be draining it each time we put it away and I can check the filter then. Some places may dictate a filter change right after camping there.

As it turns out, I can see where the Camco filters are seating on the top ring, so I should be OK.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #25

Yech and oh my
--- our residential will have the ice maker !!!
wonder if I can put two extra filters in line ?

that always worries me - why I connect the two ends of my water hose together and rinse before connecting always - yech
Edited by: johnboytoo
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #26

I put a level 5 drinking water in behind the trash can and a faucet for it next to the sink faucet that way I don't need bottled water and my ice is not going to ruin a good adult bev. I change both filters every six months filters are to cheap to put up with bad water.....
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #27

I have a canister filter that I purchased at camping world. It hooks up to the outside supply hose and filters the water before it gets to the filter in the rv. works great, Also I have a basement ice maker and a refrigerator ice maker both making clear ice and lots of it.
formulabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #28

Purify all water with a little Jack. No joke we are going to add another filter at the hose because of all the wet weather and high water at our campground. It puts a strain on any filter and the one outside is easier to change than the one in the basement.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #29

Toby,

That's exactly why I have the inline hose filter. Turn off the water and unscrew the top and change the filter. No mess to clean up.
formulabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #30

We have an inline house filter that we've used for years. The filters last longer, are cheaper, and you can get different ones from the basic to the charcoal. Its bigger that the rv ones, but since it's in line before the rv hookup, it doesn't make a difference.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #31

Anybody tried the clear enclosure type so you can see the filter without removing it?
Old 08-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #32

Had one for my motorhomes and hooked them up in the service bay. I think if you use one outside, algea will form on the walls.(?) I did like the see through feature and could see when they had to be changed.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #33

Ah - never thought about the algae.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I am attempting to change the water filter but cannot break the blue canister free. It is in an awkward spot accessed via a small door in the basement. You simply can't get two hands on it. Am I doing wrong. How hard is it to twist off.

Thanks
That was one of my first complaints to Redwood after I purchased it. You have to send a kid into the basement with super small hands and arm extensions to reach the filter housing. LOL This was my first mod. I removed the large panel that has the small door in it and recut the size of the door to the largest size the panel would handle. Cut a piec of wood the size of the opening, re-carpeted it and used the original hinge to put the door in. I then put a slide latch on the door to prevent it from opening on it's own. Looks great and solved the problem. I also reinforced the filter mount with a 2x2 and glue and nail gun. While panel was removed also noticed that the duct connected to the bedroom vent was disconnected. It appeared the factory seemed to think aluminum tape would keep it connected....wrong!! I used screws to remount the vent, then used aluminum tape to seal it and make it look nice. All done in one day.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #35

A little update on the filter housing. Just got back from first long trip with my Redwood and experienced the difficulty of changing out the filter. My first attempt sprayed water everywhere so turned the housing closed and thought about the best way to go about this without flooding the basement. Found online that a lot of these types of filter housings have a pressure release button on them but not mine. I decided to shut off water source coming into the fifth wheel, open a cold water faucet in the kitchen then open the cold water drain line underneath to relieve pressure. Was able to remove housing without getting one drop of water in the basement area.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #36
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy
A little update on the filter housing. Just got back from first long trip with my Redwood and experienced the difficulty of changing out the filter. My first attempt sprayed water everywhere so turned the housing closed and thought about the best way to go about this without flooding the basement. Found online that a lot of these types of filter housings have a pressure release button on them but not mine. I decided to shut off water source coming into the fifth wheel, open a cold water faucet in the kitchen then open the cold water drain line underneath to relieve pressure. Was able to remove housing without getting one drop of water in the basement area.

you just nailed it on the head, that is the best way to accomplish that task

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy
you just nailed it on the head, that is the best way to accomplish that task
Yep, I figured that out a couple of trips ago.

However, I splurged and got a clear case filter assembly with a bypass and a pressure relief from Home Depot. Just haven't put it in yet. It was a whopping $39 as Michelle suggested, and will save having to antifreeze it.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #38

I took the factory filter housing out and connected the loose hose ends with a coupling from Home Depot. I use an in line filter in the supply line. No mess, no flooding, no winterizing.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #39

I don't know how many are aware of this but prior to my recent trip I was online trying to find replacement filters and discovered that the Pentek C1 filter that my RW came with is not recommended for well water. I contacted "Pentair" (Pentek Manufacturer) and was informed that bacteria from the well water can grow in the C1 filter and possibly contaminate your water. I asked which filter they would recommend and they said they just came out with an "Omni T-03" filter made for well water. I was told I could purchase that filter through Omnifilterstore.com or possibly a Tractor Supply Store. I contacted my local Tractor Supply store and they could not find that filter in their catalog, probably because it is a new product. I couldn't wait for an online order to arrive so when I arrived at my destination campground I went to the local Culligan store and they sold me a string filter which filters sediment but did nothing for smell, taste, or hardness. I will be purchasing some C1 and Omni T-03 filters but I have also decided to purchase an RV Water Softener which I will connect outside the RW in my water line. I will be prepared for whatever water is coming my way.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #40

interesting - I'm totally lost on what filters to use. I figured something with Carbon.

What I do know, we were camping in Custer South Dakota, my ice was crystal clear, my buddies was brown. The filter was trashed in 5 days.