Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #1

Cel Phone Booster

Has anyone installed a cel phone booster? If so which brand and are you happy with it? Also did you have a professional install it? We've gone to some parks on this trip where we'll have a weak signal periodically but not strong enough to actually download emails. I'm guessing if we had a booster, the signal might be strong enough to use our phones. Any suggestions are appreciated! A whole week without cel service isn't that much fun.
NewRW Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #2

What cell provider do you have? There are some that boosters won't help.
We've had Verizon for 10+ years & have had, with exception of a hand full of locations, service coast to coast border to border without a booster. Also have the Verizon mifi jetpak for secure internet & have never lost signal, may only be 3g but enough to get emails. This setup is pricey, but works everywhere.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
What cell provider do you have? There are some that boosters won't help.
We've had Verizon for 10+ years & have had, with exception of a hand full of locations, service coast to coast border to border without a booster. Also have the Verizon mifi jetpak for secure internet & have never lost signal, may only be 3g but enough to get emails. This setup is pricey, but works everywhere.

We have AT&T. Mostly we have service everywhere too but once and a while we don’t. There’s no Verizon reception at our house so that’s not an option. In Oregon where we are right now most areas have way better AT&T signal.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #4
Site Team

We have a Wilson Engineering unit called a WeBoost. It works, what more to say. Last year we were in upstate New York in the Adirondacks and had about 1-2 bars of service at the park if we were lucky. Thought about it quite a bit as they are a bit pricey but the reviews are good.
If you need Internet and phone service, it's worth the money. We went from 1 and occasionally 2 bars of signal to a solid 2 and usually 3 and also had at least 3G and most times LTE.

Now for the somewhat down side - essentially you are creating a mini cell tower inside the coach. It has a signal boosting radius of about 10' so you want to think about where to put it. In our RL, we took out the rear couch and had a desk and surround custom built for storage and a work station. I've mounted the outside antenna on the top of the roof ladder (it's still about 3" lower than the AC unit) ran the cable down the ladder with wire ties and then along the left side and in through the slide weatherstripping. The small inside antenna sits on the desk. With this setup, we've got good cell signal to our phones anywhere in the living area of the coach. Got a little iffy in the bedroom.
We also have a MIFI and of course it's signal gets boosted also from the WeBoost so we do have Internet all through the coach. We have the Verizon unlimited plan.

We also have an Alfa Camppro wifi booster. It also works. Where we are now, the wifi is only in the office that is about 600-700' away. Without the Alfa on, none of our devices or computers will pick it up. With the Alfa on, we've got wifi with a good signal.

If you buy either or both, I highly recommend www.technorv.com. Eric and Tammi are fulltimers and run a great business. They are not the cheapest, but anything he sells, he has used and more importantly supports. Case in point, the instructions that come with the Alfa are truly terrible and you'll go nuts setting it up. If you buy it from Techno, eric sends an email with both written step by step and also a video on how to set it up. Buying it from him will cost you an extra $20. Trust me, it's more than worth it.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:27 AM   #5

Piper Guy, Wow! Thank you for your detailed information and instructions. After looking at your info, my husband, Steve, is thinking that maybe he could install a booster. We still have the couch in the back but probably we could put the small antenna on the little side table. As far as going for cheaper, sometimes cheaping out ends up being more expensive due to lack of customer support. Sounds like Eric & Tammi earn their little bit higher price.
Barbara
Old 06-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #6
Site Team

The WeBoost is a simple install. All hardware and plug it in, no software. Table by the couch is good, we also put it on the shelf next to tv for awhile. When you run the cable in, secure it wherever you need to and then run the living room slide in about 3-4" and just put it through beneath the weatherstripping and secure. Plug it in and you're done.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:13 AM   #7
Site Team

Tell Eric I sent you. Good people
Old 06-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #8

We have a WiFi Repeater and I ran the cable in the back corner of the Entertainment slide where a bundle of other wires enter. Once inside pull the bottom drawer and fireplace and you can run the cable up under the TV or one of the shelves if you prefer.
Just remember to re-seal where the cables enter the slide. I did that on our '12 36RL and the same on the current '16 39MB.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
We have a WiFi Repeater and I ran the cable in the back corner of the Entertainment slide where a bundle of other wires enter. Once inside pull the bottom drawer and fireplace and you can run the cable up under the TV or one of the shelves if you prefer.
Just remember to re-seal where the cables enter the slide. I did that on our '12 36RL and the same on the current '16 39MB.
Thanks for your information! Steve's had that area you describe apart so knows what's back there. Where do you put your antenna?
Old 06-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #10

I mounted a section of PVC to the ladder with the next size smaller inside. I lower the inside section that has the antenna on it for travel, when setup and need to use it, I push the inside section up a couple of feet to clear the roof and ACs. I have drilled thru the inside section at two locations and the outer section in only one, then use a lock pin to secure the inside section in the two locations, travel and use.
Our repeater sets on the shelf below the TV. We have extra room there because we replaced the JBL Sound Bar with an LG with wireless Sub-Woofer.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:41 PM   #11

Yes! I bought a weBoost Drive 4G-X RV 470410 Cell Phone Signal Booster for Your RV or Motorhome – Enhance Your Cell Phone Signal up to 32x. Amazon, $499.
mfsmith57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #12

We have the weboost as well and feel it was a good investment.
Jay & Deb Learn is offline   Reply With Quote