Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #1

Canister Water Filter Suggestions

We are currently on well water which has an increasingly strong sulphur smell (esp. when the tap is first turned on). I have the canister type water filter (10" x 2.5" round as below) which came with the 36FL. I have recently tried a really expensive Hydro Life filter and a Frigidaire Carbon filter - neither helped (at least noticeably).

Do folks have recommendations on what they have found to be the best filter of this type and for similar issues i.e.) sulphur smell? Thanks.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...t-filter/51561
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbound View Post
We are currently on well water which has an increasingly strong sulphur smell (esp. when the tap is first turned on). I have the canister type water filter (10" x 2.5" round as below) which came with the 36FL. I have recently tried a really expensive Hydro Life filter and a Frigidaire Carbon filter - neither helped (at least noticeably).

Do folks have recommendations on what they have found to be the best filter of this type and for similar issues i.e.) sulphur smell? Thanks.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...t-filter/51561
Try adding some chlorine bleach to the well water a cup at a time. Also add a cup of bleach to your holding tank to your RV. I would recommend draining your tank first and then adding the bleach. With the bleach in, run the faucets until you can't smell the sulfur.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

After you do the above fixes look at this site. www.RVWaterFilterStore.com They saved our summer water problems.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home View Post
After you do the above fixes look at this site. www.RVWaterFilterStore.com They saved our summer water problems.
Yep, we installed a full coach reverse osmosis system and really love it. The crap that gets caught in those filters is mind boggling! We occasionally open the first filter to clean it out and its just caked with iron, mud and other things I can't identify. Definitely worth the money if you tend to question the water you're connecting to.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home View Post
Thanks Tobys Home. Am going to give them a call about the RO system.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbound View Post
Thanks Tobys Home. Am going to give them a call about the RO system.
Just an FYI. I whole house RO system is actually super simple to install in the Redwood. Everything is easily accessible and I only had to modify I water connection to make it work. It would be very easy to reverse if I ever sold the coach and wanted to keep it. Additionally since you use your fresh water tank for storage of filtered water, with the Redwood you have perfect access to the top of the tank just below where the filter mounts. You just drill a small 1/4" hole into the top of the tank, push your 1/4" line through and seal it with some silicone. I ran the waste line out where the fresh water drain is and connected it to the following which is connected to my dump valve.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39062-Fl...mp+valve+flush
Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Just an FYI. I whole house RO system is actually super simple to install in the Redwood. Everything is easily accessible and I only had to modify I water connection to make it work. It would be very easy to reverse if I ever sold the coach and wanted to keep it. Additionally since you use your fresh water tank for storage of filtered water, with the Redwood you have perfect access to the top of the tank just below where the filter mounts. You just drill a small 1/4" hole into the top of the tank, push your 1/4" line through and seal it with some silicone. I ran the waste line out where the fresh water drain is and connected it to the following which is connected to my dump valve.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39062-Fl...mp+valve+flush
Thanks. It sounds pretty simple but may be complicated for me as we are first time Rv owners and I'm not at all familiar with the plumbing system. It would really help if you could describe the fresh water system. e.g.) Is the current cartridge filter up or downstream from the fresh water tank? (I thought the only way to fill the fresh water system is to put water directly into the fresh water fill opening. Or are you saying that once installed, the RO system fills the fresh water tank with filtered water?

I know this could get lengthy so don't feel like you need to give me a long explanation. As we won't do anything till the Spring, I think what I'd do is buy the system and when it's at the dealership (already have an April appt) ask them to install it for me (unless you think you could give me pretty easy step by step instructions…would be greatly appreciated but not expected)

Another question: our fresh water tank has been 1/2 full and sitting idle for a few weeks. Could this be a reason why the odor is getting stronger? I decided this might be the case today so I drained the fresh tank, poured in some bleach water, filled to the top and will let it sit for a couple of days before draining, flushing and filling again. If this IS the case re: odor, it sounds like I need to drain the fresh water more often? (i need to keep it somewhat full in case we have any frozen pipes outside this winter).

As always, thanks in advance.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #8

The odor is most likely not coming from your water, but rather from your holding tanks. Get some Aqua Kem an pour it down your toilet, shower, bathroom and kitchen sinks. Add a few gallons of fresh water. Be sure to close all your tank valves.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr View Post
The odor is most likely not coming from your water, but rather from your holding tanks. Get some Aqua Kem an pour it down your toilet, shower, bathroom and kitchen sinks. Add a few gallons of fresh water. Be sure to close all your tank valves.
Thanks…will do.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #10

Quote:
The strongest odor occurs when we first turn on the kitchen faucet. Does this still indicate the holding tank in your opinion Adam? The Aqua Chem is probably worth doing regardless.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:10 AM   #11

We just ALWAYS use bottled water for cooking and drinking....
save the 'other' water for showers and potties and such

I know, I know, we are not sure where the bottling is done,
but that's what we do !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #12

I can't say for sure without being there; however, in addition to the Aqua Kem in your holding tanks, try adding a cup or to two of bleach to your fresh water tank at the fill point in the convenience center in your garage. Run your hot and cold water faucets to ensure the bleach gets into the water lines. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #13

Quote:
I can't say for sure without being there; however, in addition to the Aqua Kem in your holding tanks, try adding a cup or to two of bleach to your fresh water tank at the fill point in the convenience center in your garage. Run your hot and cold water faucets to ensure the bleach gets into the water lines. Good luck.
Thank….didn't think of that. Will do.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #14

If it is the well water that is causing the odor, it could get stronger sitting in the tank. Has the well been tested lately to make sure the water is safe. It is possible that bacteria could be causing the odor. If it hasn't been tested lately, I would have it tested. If it is safe, I think there is something you could add to the fresh water tank to help with the odor until you can get a more permanent solution.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 AM   #15
Site Team

In northern Indiana, well water often produces rotten egg odor due to sulfer in the water. Water wells should be disinfected by adding chlorox to the well once per year and allowed to stand for a few hours. The well is then pumped until the chlorine smell is cleared. I did this for the first few years after my well was first drilled and it eventually cleared up...............mostly. Carbon filters will also help to remove the odor if its not too strong.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #16

Thanks for the advice all

I ended up draining the fresh water tank and then completely filled the tank with a 32 oz bottle of Clorox bleach included (stronger than recommended but not messing around with this again soon if I don't have to).Adamsvr, i followed your advice and ran the hot and cold water (kitchen, bath sink, shower, and washer) until I smelled chlorine at each source (both hot and cold).

I let it all sit there for 8 hours or so before returning with a new type of holding tank freshener (not Aquachem but similar). While I drained the chlorinated fresh water tank and lines and filled with new fresh water, I added the tank cleaners (one type for sewer, another for grey water), filled all to 2/3rds full and will let sit overnight or at least till we need to empty them. It includes a sensor cleaning agent as well as a valve lubricant. I also changed the carbon filter once completed.

TIme will tell if this is a long term fix. If we have smelly water again in a few days, would have to conclude the problem is the well water and will ask around the park and talk to he manager.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #17

Wow, that's a lot of chlorine bleach. Bet your coach sells of it. Hope that got rid of the smell. If it did not, go out and disconnect the hose from the faucet. Turn on the water and see if the park water smells too. If not, your hose may need chlorine run through it too. Lay the hose on the ground a raise both ends. Pour some bleach into it and ensure the bleach covers all surfaces of the interior of the hose.

If the park water is good, rinse your fresh water tank before filling it. We only travel with about a 1/3 of a tank to minimize the weight.

If the source of the smell is from the park and they don't take corrective measures, suggest you pick up and move to another park. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #18

Don,t forget to clean your fill hose with clorox/bleach. Ours sits in the sun and the outside had mildew growing on it so I figured that the inside may have been affected as well.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #19

Bleaching the end:rolleyes:

Thanks Adam and Jay/Linda. It did seem like a lot of bleach but then I realized that with a 100 gallon capacity, as the fresh tank got filled the bleach would be diluted to approx. 0.3 oz/gallon which is pretty safe. The coach did have a smell yesterday but today barely noticeable (hopefully my nose isn't just desensitized)

As far as the outside line, I have it winterized with heat tape, insulation, etc.. Don't want to have to mess with it. However, based on your recommendations I turned on a spigot next door and…..no smell. Soooo….looks like it is an internal problem with tanks and I feel even better that it wasn't wasted time (or bleach) yesterday.

TOday's project: figuring out exactly which appliances fill which grey tanks (1 and 2 on panel) and hence, which valve (labelled "grey" and "galley") drain which tank. Will let folks know the results.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #20

Good to hear!

On our 2012RL, Grey 2 is the Galley tank and Gray 1 is shower, bathroom wind, washer/dryer tank.