Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
Site Team

I just de-winterized my trailer tonight getting ready for a small trip to get air ride on my truck. Every thing went as planed but the water pump is having trouble sucking water up out of the tank or else it's having problem building pressure.

I hooked up to city water to flush the lines and I don't have any leaks. I did switch the lever from the winterizing mode to the regular mode as well. It seems to be pumping air and I can't figure it out. Any ideas? or should I go out and buy another pump?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #2

Dave... all systems "charged" with city water? Dishwasher, washer, outside shower, black water flush, etc.? Did you open and bleed the 2 low point drain valves below the coach floor under the convenience panel? How about a 5 gal bucket of water and using the syphon hose to ensure system is charged?

Dumb question... did you switch the bypass valve in the convenience station AND the one behind the wall below your water filter?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #3

Dave,

Re-reading your post, sounds like you have an "air lock" somewhere so the pump cannot get to full pressure.

Start checking each "drain point" again starting at the closest connection... the outdoor shower, then check the hot water tank, low point drains, washer, bath sink, shower, toilet, dishwasher, and finally the kitchen sink so water pushes air out from the start of your city connection to the furthest valve. Once you have no air coming out of any of those valves on your city service, shut off the city supply.

The RW Owners Manual states that the city water connection bypasses the pump and tank so now you need to ensure you have sufficient water in the fresh water tank and try your pump... it should only run a short time to get you up to pressure.

Good Luck.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
Dave... all systems "charged" with city water? Dishwasher, washer, outside shower, black water flush, etc.? Did you open and bleed the 2 low point drain valves below the coach floor under the convenience panel? How about a 5 gal bucket of water and using the syphon hose to ensure system is charged?

Dumb question... did you switch the bypass valve in the convenience station AND the one behind the wall below your water filter?

I checked the filter housing to verify that it wasn't leaking or sucking air. I also made sure that the low point valves were closed after I bled them as well as the by-pass for the hot water heater.

The pump doesn't seem to be able to build up pressure and never really turns off completely and it can't build enough pressure. When I open a faucet, I get a short burst of water and then it slows to a trickle. I guess it's time to buy another pump. I'll buy a bigger one this time.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #5

Boy Howdy... that sucks! How many hours did you get out of your pump? Sure sounds like it did not make it thru the winter... maybe I should consider disconnecting mine and bringing it indoors for the winter.

Suppose you need to get a pump sooner than you can wait for replies since most parks are still winterized depending on where you go.

A quick trip to Toronto tomorrow would get you 52 deg... back below freezing and snow by the weekend though...

Edited by: BradPAjax
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Site Team

I just came in after messing with it for 2 hours and pumping untold gallons of water through it trying to get some consistency. I think it's got a bad chamber or something because it keeps wanting to pump a mixture of air after about 10 seconds of good pressure. I've almost drained my entire tank of water going from the low drain valves to each facet and then the washer trying to rid the system of air.

Oh well....another glass of wine and in the morning I'll order another pump. If this is the biggest problem I have this year....I've got it made. It sure beats some of the health problems we had to deal with last year.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #7

Dave, have you checked the screen in the water pump. Sometimes the winterization process stirs up particulate in the lines. Plus turn that little valve by your pump on and off while the pump is running. That sometimes breaks the vacuum. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home
Dave, have you checked the screen in the water pump. Sometimes the winterization process stirs up particulate in the lines. Plus turn that little valve by your pump on and off while the pump is running. That sometimes breaks the vacuum. Good luck.
I appreciate your help but I did all of that too. I used the pump to circulate the antifreeze so I don't think it froze over the winter.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #9

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Pulled the end of the pump off and the little flappers inside were stuck.Must have been some crusty water left in it. Unstuck 'em, reassembled and it was still working when we traded it off. Might be worth a try.
2013 Redwood 36RL Full paint D/W W/D 2 A/C's and all the other stuff.
jrgkfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #10

Dave,

All pumps are not the same but on my old rig I had to adjust the relief screw that had backed out during travel etc. Once I adjusted the screw I was able to build pressure. My symptoms were exactly the same as the ones you described. It is worth a try.....
Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Site Team

Thanks guys, I'll give all of those a try. I just got off the phone with Brian (Go-Go-Gadget) and Redwood is sending me another pump. I'll try what Jack and John has suggested since I'm leaving for a short trip tomorrow. If it works I'll send Redwood their new pump back.

Just before a trip, this is an inconvenience but Redwood came through!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #12

Dave I use air at low pressure and blow the lines out I don't like pink stuff
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #13

Glad to hear Redwood came through. There is enough negative information on this forum that good news is welcomed.