Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 02:45 AM   #1

Cable issues behind TV in LR

I'd like to better utilize the shelves behind the TV in the living room of my 2015 38RL. I've tried fishing another HDMI cable from the TV through the hole in the back of the middle shelf to the cabinet above the TV, but have not had any luck.

I'm considering cutting some more holes in the bottom shelves behind the TV to make routing much easier. I'll also be using the plastic grommets to keep it looking professional.

Has anyone found any other ways of hooking up additional electronic devices behind the TV and in the cabinets above without cutting new holes?

My present challenge is to get an additional HDMI cable to the top cabinet where my DISH receiver is for my PS3 player. Getting a little tired of changing the cable from one device to the other.

Steve
sbenhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:45 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbenhoff View Post
I'd like to better utilize the shelves behind the TV in the living room of my 2015 38RL. I've tried fishing another HDMI cable from the TV through the hole in the back of the middle shelf to the cabinet above the TV, but have not had any luck.

I'm considering cutting some more holes in the bottom shelves behind the TV to make routing much easier. I'll also be using the plastic grommets to keep it looking professional.

Has anyone found any other ways of hooking up additional electronic devices behind the TV and in the cabinets above without cutting new holes?

My present challenge is to get an additional HDMI cable to the top cabinet where my DISH receiver is for my PS3 player. Getting a little tired of changing the cable from one device to the other.

Steve
Steve
I added an hdmi cable to the existing holes. Undo your cable and tape or tie what you want to pull in plus an extra wire pull the new in with the old
Old 05-14-2015, 01:15 PM   #3

Like Shane, we have a 36RL which may have a different layout than your Redwood. Ours had an optical line running from the TV to the DVD player above, it ran through the back. I tied a "pull string" to the line, disconnected it and pulled it up to the top. I then used the string to pull an HDMI cable running from the sat receiver above to the TV. It's a good idea to leave a pull string there, just in case you need to pull another cable in the future, a standard electrician's technique.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #4

Thanks for your suggestions. I went back and tried this option again and it worked this time. Not sure why I couldn't get it to pull through the last time. One thing I have quickly noticed that with my DISH receiver and a PS3 player in the top shelf above the TV, it gets pretty warm back there. I guess I may need to find a way to ventilate that area a little.

Don't you just love new projects?
Old 05-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #5

Yes, it gets warm in the cabinet. We used to use the rf function on our sat TV remote and close the doors, a combination of other nearby campers changing the channels and the heat sent me back to the "line of sight" approach with the doors open. I have to mind my head however (or wear a "bump" cap!).
Old 05-14-2015, 04:24 PM   #6

I also use the RF function for both units, so I always have the cabinet door closed. I didn't realize how hot it gets in there until I had both units powered on while I was hooking everything up. It was getting a little warm. I almost wonder how the DW would handle it if I took the cabinet door off completely. I know she won't like keeping it open the entire time we are watching TV.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #7

The other reason for the doors open is that I'm running the audio from the sat TV receiver through the audio system via an optical audio cable to get better quality sound and the remote for that is only line of sight
Old 05-14-2015, 05:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbenhoff View Post
I also use the RF function for both units, so I always have the cabinet door closed. I didn't realize how hot it gets in there until I had both units powered on while I was hooking everything up. It was getting a little warm. I almost wonder how the DW would handle it if I took the cabinet door off completely. I know she won't like keeping it open the entire time we are watching TV.
My DW took the door off for heat and line of sight. Made me happy!