Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #1

Question Buying a new Redwood?

If you was going to buy a new unit again, would you buy a Redwood or would you buy a Montana or something else if you were/are a full timer.
N. Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:16 AM   #2

We are fulltimers and just picked up our new Redwood yesterday, we spent the first night in it last night.
We are still at the dealer, moving our stuff from our old rig and testing systems, so far all is good.
All I can say is WOW what a nice 5th Wheel to fulltime in, we are going to love fulltiming in this coach!!!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Site Team

We are not fulltimers but do spent several weeks at a time, especially in the winter, using our Redwood and would definitely buy another Redwood.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #4

We are in ours about three months now we love it and would buy it again in minute l
Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #5

We don't full time, but spend anywhere from 4 to 6 months in our RW at a time. We are envious of most of the changes RW has made since our 2013 came off the production line.

Would we buy another Redwood - most definitely yes, and from the same dealer.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
lwg

I've often thought about this as we fulltime. We would probably give serious thought to a toy hauler if we were doing it again, if we didn't go that route it'd be a Redwood hands down.

I am just not one to buy anything that's very popular, I see Montana's all the time and even with full body paint they don't look as nice.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #7

No we wouldn't buy another redwood especially from ExploderUSA - but I am in the minority here.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #8

we love everything about redwood, but we also are trying to get a chance to spend one full day and night in ours because it has some very bad issues with it...I agree with JohnbOYtOO I would not buy from explore USA ever again...the best thing to do is drive as fast away from that place.
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #9

We are in week 2 of our first time out in our 38GK and we love it. During our PDI we found only 1 item that needed attention. Everything is working and there are no major problems. Couldn't ask for more. Would definitely buy another Redwood.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
lwg

I honestly think the dealership has a lot to do with the owner experience. When we bought ours we paid several thousand more to get it from Lazydays in Tucson over what was quoted from ExploreUSA in Dallas. We thought long and hard about it and finally went with Lazydays, I initially thought I was making a mistake. While Lazydays certainly had some issues in service their PDI was second to none. They spent several days fixing many items I see popping up here all the time after delivery.

In retrospect I'm kind of glad I went to Lazydays, it wasn't a perfect experience but I have had very few problems since delivery.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
Traveling

A resounding YES! We have been full timing for a month and we LOVE the Redwood! We would buy from the same dealer too (B. Young RV in Milwaukie Oregon). A few small glitches, nothing major, as with ALL RV's. It feels like home already. LOVE IT. Never get tired of the comments from visitors, I think we have sold three already! LOL!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #12

We've been fulltime in it now for 19 months & hell ya.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #13
Site Team

I've got one of the older Redwoods, I think mine was the 810th off the line in April 2012. I don't full time however I've had mine all over the country with well over 30,000 miles on it so far. As far as Redwood goes, I would buy another one however I'm hoping they come out with some other floor plans.

I really like the floor plan of the RL but I'd really like to see a type of bunk house model so I could turn the second bedroom into an office for the wife. The BR is a nice unit but the bonus room isn't big enough to do what we need it to do. Redwood had a hobby trailer but the floor plan wasn't very well thought out. DRV Elite Suites does have a bunk house called a Lexington ($166,000)which I'd like to see Redwood copy. Otherwise we might look at the New Horizon.

As for the quality of Redwood, I don't have any issues with their products. It's not perfect but it's an RV. The company has treated me fairly and that's very important to me. Most of the people I've heard complain.....I believe the dealers were at fault. So pick your dealer wisely. Too many dealers want to make the sale, run off with the money and not provide good service later, while blaming Redwood. Keep in mind while your negotiating the price on your new trailer.....this dealer you're trying to squeeze the best deal out of is also the guy that you may have to call for help later.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #14

I agree DRV has a nice floor plan for the bonus room. But we do like the redwoods layout in ours but it's kinda tight in the bathroom and walking into the bedroom. The door kinda sticks out a little to much and is kinda tight from the door to the bed. But all in all the bonus room is 4' x 8'. Kinda tight for a bed but perfect for a large kennel and small beer fridge and freezer
David and Beth with our sidekick red heeler Queso the "big cheese". 2016 38GK with double unagaurd awnings with led lights and trailair air tri-glide pin box 8K axles with Linc System. 2012 Ram 3500 4x4 crew cab Laramie LWB Edge Juice with attitude with B&W 20k companion hitch.
DLRAKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #15

Been there and done that. I owned a Montana and traded for a 2014 Voltage Toy Hauler because of the need for a second bed room for our son who travels with us. Worst mistake we ever made. We are in the process of trading the Voltage in for a 2015 39MB and can't wait to take ownership. This is my point of view and I am sure there are others who would disagree with me, but I urge you to think it through.
Hers - 2015 39MB
daily413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #16

We fulltime, we purchased our Redwood in November 2012 and are extremely happy with our rig.
To the question, would I buy a Montana... these are nice RV's but nowhere as nice, dollar for dollar, as the Redwood. If I could buy what I want it would most likely be an Excel, DRV or New Horizons but I would not spend that much money on a fifth wheel. For the price point I consider Redwood the best choice for quality, service and price.
I also agree that finding the right dealer is critical, not only for a Redwood but for any RV. As stated, there are many that just want the sale and act like they don't even know you after they have your money. I did my homework, I spoke to customers at different dealers about their service experiences as a big part of my dealer search. When I heard folks telling me they were happy with both their purchase and service experiences I knew I had a good dealer!!
Old 07-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #17

Yes, I would buy another Redwood. We full time, I bought a used 2012 in Nov. 2013 so, no warranty. While I have had a few issues, nothing that Redwood, Lippert or the forum has not been able to help me with. 10,000 miles since Nov.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #18

All things being equal, we would definitely buy again. IMHO, it's almost ALL about the dealer. I've lost count as to the number of forum complaints that go back to the dealer. And I cringe when I hear about someone traveling many hundreds and even a thousand miles or more to get a better deal. I understand if you have no dealer located within a reasonable distance. Businesses will take care of "their" customers first; I have absolutely no problem with that. There are always exceptions to the rule as you can't always control things. For example, if you're on a long trip and something craps the bed. We don't full time but I dare say those of us who spend a lot of time in our RWs put them through the paces just the same. Constant set-ups and break-downs along with constantly changing road conditions can be tough on an RV.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
We fulltime, we purchased our Redwood in November 2012 and are extremely happy with our rig.
To the question, would I buy a Montana... these are nice RV's but nowhere as nice, dollar for dollar, as the Redwood. If I could buy what I want it would most likely be an Excel, DRV or New Horizons but I would not spend that much money on a fifth wheel. For the price point I consider Redwood the best choice for quality, service and price.
I also agree that finding the right dealer is critical, not only for a Redwood but for any RV. As stated, there are many that just want the sale and act like they don't even know you after they have your money. I did my homework, I spoke to customers at different dealers about their service experiences as a big part of my dealer search. When I heard folks telling me they were happy with both their purchase and service experiences I knew I had a good dealer!!
When we were looking for a new rig the 31 redwood and the 31 excel were both at the Hershey show. They were almost identical in price with the same layout and options. My wife was in the Redwood most of the morning at the show and all of 5 minutes in the excel. I went into the excel and items for item the quality wasn't there. I can't speak for the end users results but the redwood was a better looking and better appointed rig.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #20

We started full timing in 2002 in a Montana Big Sky. In 2006 we traded for a new Carriage 5 slider. In 2012 we traded for a Redwood 36RL. Liked all units we had, but I think overall we like the Redwood best. Haven't had any major problems with any of them and the dealers have taken care of the minor ones.