Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #1

Braking

I'm curious what most people have their setting at on their 'brake output'.

My unit is a 36RL appox. 14100# and I have my 2015 Chevy set at 7.5.

I have been told two opinion:

*Set at 4 or 5 and let the truck do most of the braking.

*If you can't 'lock-up' the trailer at 30mph , set at 10.
Chasgerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #2

I always run my 2012 GMC in the 5.5 to 6.5 range, when I set it to 7.0 or higher it brakes too heavy for me (I can feel the trailer stopping the truck)

With the factory drum brakes I ran it at 6.5, with the new disc brakes I run it at 5.5
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #3

Interesting! Thank You for your input.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #4

Same as Rob....Have always set ours at about the 6.5 and has worked perfect. Except out trip home last month we came from PA. back to CT. with no trailer breaks. I'm pretty sure just a loose connection but it can wait until spring.

Steve
Old 11-05-2016, 12:31 AM   #5

Personally I like the trailer to slow the truck, mine is set at 8.5 with the worn drum brakes, yet to be determined with the new disc.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:07 AM   #6

IMO
As many units as was at the rally, I'll bet there was that many ways people adjust their brakes. So here is my 2 cents.
The trailer is supposed to do most of the braking. Say 60/40%. Don't forget that sucker weighs more than your truck. On a quiet street at say 30 - 35 mph apply the brakes as you would normally. You should feel the trailer kind of dragging you like you are pulling a great big tire. When you think it is wright do a panic brake (not a slam dunk) you should feel everything force a fast brake but not locking the trailer or truck tires. This would make the trailer or truck skid and have no or little braking. This is the way I was taught years ago and has worked for me. And also why I changed to Disk Brakes as I felt the brakes on the 7k axles are really small.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #7
Site Team

+2 with Wayne. I was taught the same way. With mine, pulling with a Ford (each manufacturer does their onboard controller slightly differently) I normally have mine set at 7.0. At that setting, if I brake lightly, I can feel the trailer braking along with the truck, pretty evenly. If I climb on the brakes at that setting, I can really feel the trailer brakes coming on. Have had to do a few "avoidance" stops since doing the disc brake conversion and will be the first to say that the difference between drums and disc is astounding.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

The numbers between each other don't mean anything, because of all of the variables. Weight, disk/drum brakes, truck manufacture, all impact where the number gets set. The brakes should be set per the procedure in the manual and whatever that number is, is what it is.

When we took our Montana in for trade, it was empty. After towing for several years at 7, that empty trailer would lay rubber at every stop sign until I set it down to 4.5. Also I put electric brakes on our boat trailer, and you should see what 6.5 does to an empty boat trailer heading down the ramp to retrieve the boat. I told Dory that trailer left half the tires on the ramp!

Set the brakes proper, then use the number as your guide and forget what everyone else does because it doesn't matter.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #9

Thank you all!! for your input, Very helpful information.