Old 07-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #11

Brakes on 38 RE Fifth Wheel

Hey Ford Truck Guy

Thanks for the reply. Many replies so far and others also indicate the Disc Brakes are the way to go. So like you as soon as we can we are going to make the switch over. We are going (Almost Full time ) next year in April. Wife and I retiring the end this year. Next year clean out the house and sell everything we can, put the personal stuff in our son's large dry basement in Jersey, come back here and give a farewell to Maryland. Now at least we have a fifth wheel we can live in. So the plan is to fund the amount of cost in our move out and get a shop to put on Disc brakes. Possibly waiting until next year Rally in Indiana and have it done out there. I figure to allocate about $2500 for the switch over. Where in PA are you?? We are originally from South Jersey, we just missed a trip to Quarryville, PA with our group. Let me know where you are. By the way Ford Truck Guy - We have a one ton 3500 Dodge big truck with the 6.7 cummins. Truck runs great with EGR delete done.
Happy Trails Friend
Tom Louis
tomlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:21 AM   #12

Hey Tom,

I am over in Bucks County PA, about 45 minutes north of Philly .. As far as brakes go, Reach out to Ron Russell ( Titan Guy ) on here, he sells and installs Titan disc brake systems.
The kits sell for right around $1,750.00 - $1,800.00 and I believe that installation is right around $1,000.00..
The best part is that if you hook up with him early enough, he will probably get one of his install crews to your house to do the install, with enough pre planning.

Once you go to properly installed discs, you will never go back !

What part of S.Jersey? I purchased my RW from Whitehorse RV over in Williamstown..

Joe

http://i.imgur.com/D0Lp87sl.jpg
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #13

Brakes

Hi Joe

We are from Deptford, NJ born and raised there. I retired Deptford Fire Department after 20 years on the job. I know where White Horse RV is as I purchased a used trailer one time. Willamstown is about 15 south of Deptford. We are getting ready next year to go Full Time, wife retiring this year and we'll start doing some traveling in the area, (PA NJ) then next year we move out of Maryland sell or rent the house and hit the road. We'll spend alot of time in Jersey near Wildwood, all of our kids live in the area of Blackwood and Williamstown. We travel with a Masonic group called Eastern Square Wheelers (NCT) National Camper Travelers. Getting ready this week to go to West Virginia to a Rally. This will be the first with our new Redwood. So like a mentioned next year we'll get Disc brakes. Thanks for the input so far
Old 07-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #14

Tom,

Good Luck with the new Redwood, and Happy Camping ! ! ! I know Depford, I was a truck driver in my past life and delivered a lot steel to that area 30 years ago . .

And speaking of Quality , I agree that RW needs to step up their game, but if you go online and see the other HIGH END trailers or equal to us, they have the same issues, or close... It is an industry standard..

I know a few Mobile Suites owners that hade huge issues with brand new units, one leaked water very badly every little rain so we are not alone !

Joe

http://i.imgur.com/D0Lp87sl.jpg
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:31 AM   #15

Just imagine how pissed you'd be if you spent a couple million $$ on a Prevost, Newell or Foretravel & had these annoying QC issues, & believe me they do.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:41 AM   #16

Brakes on 38 RE Fifth Wheel

I sent this message to Redwood (Keystone) today after getting off the phone with a young lady from customer service. I ask to speak to a Tech from the factory or a supervisor but she said she can handle the question. After the call I was NOT satisfied with her reply. Something is wrong with the system and needs fixing. Here is a description of what I ask - not a good answer

Please I need your Help. I purchased a pre-owned Redwood fifth wheel. Unit is a 2014 with only 1500 miles on it. It sat in a parking lot for one year by previous owner. The trailer brakes seemed not to be working properly so I took it to my truck shop. Drums pulled and found brakes falling apart, one shoe was missing the brake lining. Drums scored, bearings seem to be fine. My question is how can brakes just fall apart like that. Is it possible sitting in a parking lot that the brakes deteriorated some how due to heat and or just sitting. Now getting all new brakes, drum kits to repair. Have you ever heard of this happening before. I am concerned so I went on the Redwood Forum with my questions. Several owners of Redwood replied stating they had similar problems with their brakes as well. PLEASE reply back to my email or better yet call my cell @ 856-381-3970. I just off the phone with your customer service person was not satisfied with the response I received. I need your Help. By the way NO CALL YET OR EMAIL