Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #1

We had a tire shred today on Route 33 near Maryvilles, OH. The day was really nice, the road realitively smooth, and all was good... until I looked in the passenger mirror and saw smoke pouring off the front Axel of our 36RL. I didn't really know it happened until I saw the smoke... not jerking or noise... just smoke and burnt rubber smell. Came to a stop on the shoulder and dropped the hydraulic jacks to raise the tire off the ground with the help of the leveling plates and a 4x4. Called Gieco road assistance and they had a repair truck out in minutes. Redwood or our dealer hadn't included a lug wrench. Changed out our the tire with our spare and then turned on the generator so that I could fill up the spare and the rest of the tires to 80 psi. And, we were on our way.

We are full timers and probably travel heavy. The last time we put it on the scales, we came in at 15800lbs. I wish Redwood would error on the side of safety and put G series tires on there units instead of going with the minimum.

ofa
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr
We had a tire shred today on Route 33 near Maryvilles, OH. The day was really nice, the road realitively smooth, and all was good... until I looked in the passenger mirror and saw smoke pouring off the front Axel of our 36RL. I didn't really know it happened until I saw the smoke... not jerking or noise... just smoke and burnt rubber smell. Came to a stop on the shoulder and dropped the hydraulic jacks to raise the tire off the ground with the help of the leveling plates and a 4x4. Called Gieco road assistance and they had a repair truck out in minutes. Redwood or our dealer hadn't included a lug wrench. Changed out our the tire with our spare and then turned on the generator so that I could fill up the spare and the rest of the tires to 80 psi. And, we were on our way.

We are full timers and probably travel heavy. The last time we put it on the scales, we came in at 15800lbs. I wish Redwood would error on the side of safety and put G series tires on there units instead of going with the minimum.

ofa
I'm glad to hear that you didn't have a bigger problem and everybody is safe.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #3

Any damage to the trailer?

that sucks. I didn't get a wrench either, but also no jack so it wouldn't matter. I added that all myself later from the old rig.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #4

No damage to our RL, except our pride in it. Will replace the tire tomorrow, get a lug wrench, and a torc wrench. Anyone know how many foot pounds of pressure the lug nuts are supposed to be at?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #5

I don't know if I have a lug wrench either, but I bought a long handle torque wrench and check it to 110 pounds before leaving home or camp grounds. Plus make sure the air pressure is correct.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

I never verified the number, but my PDI tech said 150 lbs. I do have the 8K so maybe the studs are a little larger. I just need to find out before I say.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #7

We had 2 tires blow out last october. We were certified weitht of 15600 on catscales. we were lucky the dodge DRW 3500 held it steady and it took 7 hrs of waiting and fixing on side of the road before getting on our way again. Our insurance company sued goodyear and won. Now we have upgraded wheels and 14ply tires, not goodyear.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #8

I have never had a trailer come with a lug wrench or jack. As for the torque, I believe 110 is correct. On our Carriage, we had a tire lose it's tread and damage the underside of the trailer. We filed a claim with Goodyear, and they replaced the tire and paid for fixing the trailer. Didn't have to use our insurance at all.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #9

To tell you the truth, I have no idea why the tire blew. We only had about 8K miles on them. As far as sueing, I going to chalk this one up to bad luck. We're heading to the Crossroads Service Center in Indiana and definitely will discus upgrading to G rated tires.

As far as our F450 did... I'll give many kudos!!! Didn't feel a thing and held steady.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM
We had 2 tires blow out last october. We were certified weitht of 15600 on catscales. we were lucky the dodge DRW 3500 held it steady and it took 7 hrs of waiting and fixing on side of the road before getting on our way again. Our insurance company sued goodyear and won. Now we have upgraded wheels and 14ply tires, not goodyear.
Do you mean your insurance company demanded damages from Goodyear? I can't believe they would have to sue Goodyear, I have never heard them deny a claim, even on the Chinese made Goodyear Marathon tires.

If you didn't go Goodyear 14ply, you must have gone with...? A non-US tire? Just curious as I think Goodyear is the only US manufacturer with a 14 ply LRG tire.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #11

My Redwood Manual calls for 110-120 ft/lbs or 140-150 ft/lbs torque. Should be something on the propane door or convenience center door left side if memory serves me... trailer is 30 minutes away so can't check right away.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsvr
To tell you the truth, I have no idea why the tire blew. We only had about 8K miles on them. As far as sueing, I going to chalk this one up to bad luck. We're heading to the Crossroads Service Center in Indiana and definitely will discus upgrading to G rated tires.

As far as our F450 did... I'll give many kudos!!! Didn't feel a thing and held steady.

I wondered about this happening with my F450, with the suspension being so high rated 24,500 LBS you don't feel the trailer once you level out at 55 MPH.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #13

My insurance company Progressive initiated all subrogation action against goodyear, I just sat back and provided all information, receipts, etc. I was surprised to receive a check reimbursing me for the $500.00 deductible that I paid. And yes, unfortunately, we purchased the tires from Tire Kingdom, told they were from a tire manufacturing firm in Canada (Sailun tires) but was not told they were made overseas. Had I know that I would have done something different. In any event, we have put about 8K miles on them since Oct and have had no problems. We upgraded the wheels to Sendel T04 model and have statement from Redwood that model is OK (rated at 3750lbs). We are currently in Fort Belvoir, VA and headed north thru DE, PA, NY, RI, ME to New Brunswick. Take Care
Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #14

Go to any of the RV Forums and search on Marathons (Mar-a-bombs, China Bombs) and you'll see you're not alone. I talked to RW about them, but it's done to save them money. I've talked to several GY Dealers who will admit that they should not be used on heavier 5th Wheels. They are fine for small utility trailers or smaller lighter weight TTs and 5ers, but not for anything heavy.
On another note, I can't see how some of your rigs weigh in at mid 15K, ours empty from the factory weighted over 14K, so loaded for long term travel we're a little over 17K, but have upgraded to 8K Mor/ryde IS assemblies and are running 17.5" "H" rated tires (4805 Lbs cap/tire) @ 125 PSI.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM
My insurance company Progressive initiated all subrogation action against goodyear, I just sat back and provided all information, receipts, etc. I was surprised to receive a check reimbursing me for the $500.00 deductible that I paid. And yes, unfortunately, we purchased the tires from Tire Kingdom, told they were from a tire manufacturing firm in Canada (Sailun tires) but was not told they were made overseas. Had I know that I would have done something different. In any event, we have put about 8K miles on them since Oct and have had no problems. We upgraded the wheels to Sendel T04 model and have statement from Redwood that model is OK (rated at 3750lbs). We are currently in Fort Belvoir, VA and headed north thru DE, PA, NY, RI, ME to New Brunswick. Take Care
The Sailun tire is becoming popular, and I haven't heard of any failures yet with them so you may be fine. It will be interesting to hear how they do.

The T04 is a nice looking wheel. Keystone replaced mine on my Montana with the T04 after they bondoozled the rating on the factory ones with G614 tires.Redwood uses (used) the T03 which was also a great looking wheel, but mine came with T09 for the G614 option. It's not quite as shiny, but the rating is more important.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #16

Michelle, my rig came from the factory at 13244, we do not have a generator, washer, dryer and generally only travel with about 20 gallons of fresh water. Normal food, clothing, linens, kitchen stuff, grill, chairs, decorations, and a "reasonable" supply of good bourbon cause the trailer to weigh out about 15300. We will upgrade to triglide pin box this fall as well as adding air bags to the truck. Happy Trails
Old 06-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #17

That's why I put H load range tires on mine before I picked it up on my last trailer I had three side wall blow outs in a year with the marathons and they where made in the USA
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #18

The Good Year Marathons which are probably ok for people that tow their trailer to a campground and leave ot for the season or are weekend campers but not for fulltimers that move often. My wife and I fall into the latter group. Our 36FL came with the "E" rated Marathons and although I never had a tire blow out I did have 2 wheels crack across the spokes. I wrote the first one off as a flaw in the wheel but a month later when I discovered a second cracked wheel I knew it was more than that.
I now have the "G" rated Good Years and the Tredit T02 wheels which are a better choice for the way we use our trailer.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #19

We had our first E rated tire blow this week. It was 102º on I-10 near Palm Springs. Thankfully we had timed leaving the desert during this brief 'cool spell' as it had been 115º the prior week!

The tire took out the support bracket for the forward portion of our fender, but duck tape and cable ties got us back on the road. With only 11,900 LBS on the two rear axles, and less than 6,000 miles on these tires over two years, this confirms for me what so many people are saying about these tires. Dump em fast and get the G rated tires! And if you're getting a new trailer upgrade to the G rated tires and wheels.

Thanks to our leveling system the local AAA service provider was able to change out our tire. Without it I was told we would have to wait 1/2 day for a commercial truck service to change the tire as AAA's trucks do not carry jacks. As others have also reported here we had no tools on board to change the tire. I am going to invest in them this week.

Four hours behind schedule we pulled into Bakersfield, California where I was able to locate and purchase four G rated LT tires from the local Goodyear dealer. They installed them at the RV park which was great. The installer and the manager both told me to only inflate them to 100 PSI (they are rated at 110 for full load capacity), as the stock E range rims are not rated for 110 PSI.

Has anyone else noticed that the stock five spoke tires that come with the E range tires cannot handle 110 PSI? I can't see a PSI rating on our rims, just a max load of 3,750 LBS per tire. This issue is being discussed in other 5ver forums.

PS: Our spare tire holder pulley system broke on the first use.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36re
Has anyone else noticed that the stock five spoke tires that come with the E range tires cannot handle 110 PSI?Â* I can't see a PSI rating on our rims, just a max load of 3,750 LBS per tire. This issue is being discussed in other 5ver forums.
If your wheels are cast with 3,750 lb capacity, that should make them alread rated for 110 psi, as that is the only tire that has that capacity. Maybe they had limitations on the valve stems they used, or they just assumed the wheel was only rated for 80psi based on what they took off.

You might check here here to see which wheel you have - Tredit Tire Wheel - and then you can call them to find out what they are rated at. I noticed Redwood commonly used the T03 wheel which was only rated for 3,580 lbs (limited to ST LRE tires):

When we ordered G614 tires as an option, ours came with the T09 wheel rated for 3,750 lbs. I see this wheel used sometimes on the Redwood even if the tires are ST LRE. I suspect this is the wheel you have and it should be rated for 110psi:

Oddly enough, they don't post the psi in the specs, at least from this manufacturer. (I think these wheels are Hi-Spec). I filed a complaint with the NHTSB on our last rig, and in discussion with the agent I was told the wheel composition is built to the same specification, so pressure is not a tested criteria. He said pressure is related directly to the tire the wheel is designed for, and the capacity is directly related to number of studs and diameter of studs, nothing more. Again, this was just the agent talking, but it started to make sense why the wheels aren't stamped with a pressure all the time. Edited by: atom ant