Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 04:07 PM   #1

Black water or propane smell

Hello everyone! My husband and I are new to the group. We just purchased a 2011 Redwood after seeing one at a camper show over 5 years ago. We are full time RVers, and absolutely love the Redwoods.

I have a question about the venting on the black water tank. We continue to have a black water (thought it was propane originally, but I really think it's a sewer smell) coming from underneath the bed. We have drawers on both sides, so when I open the drawer closest to the closet, it has this terrible sewer smell coming out. It only seems to happen when we clean the black water tank or when it starts to get full. We flushed the black water tank for over an hour this past weekend, and it still smells. I have to turn on the vents to air it out. The last owner was not very hygienic, so I'm thinking that may the black water tank was not flushed properly? But, why would it still smell after flushing for a long period of time? Any help is much appreciated!
Jewelkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #2

Not sure what model you have, but it may be time to take the bed apart to find the source of the issue. Mine has sewer piping under the bed to accommodate the washer and dryer drain, and that one has leaked on me before.

There is also an anti-syphon valve on the black tank flush that has to be located several feet above the black tank to function. They break as well. Mine is under the bathroom sink, but yours may be by the bed somewhere.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.....I agree with Brad (atom ant). If it's under the bed it has to be the drain for the washer which drains in the grey tank.. The grey tank can smell almost as bad as the black tank. To help clean the grey tank, put some black tank cleaner in the bathroom sink (this sink also drains into that same tank).
Old 12-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Thanks, everyone! I will check it out.
Jewelkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

If it doesn't have wash machine make sure the drain for it is plugged or you'll get odor from it if the p trap has dried out.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

If you have a propane type smell, you might also want to check the vent hose on you battery box. We had our hose come off which allowed fumes to enter the living area.
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #7

Nothing better to draw smell into the coach than those those roof fans! I leave mine on in the bathroom sometimes and if I don't have anything open for relief air, it smell like I walked right into the black tank when I go in the bathroom.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:18 AM   #8

I think every rv we've owned the toilet vent opened right in front of the toilet exhaust fan!! I suppose the design limits where the vent could go, but you May want to check the prevailing winds.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #9

Any word on what you have found yet?
Old 12-03-2015, 05:48 PM   #10
TnB

Check for drilled holes that might have penetrated the vent pipe inside of the walls.

Our 2015 had a hole in the vent pipe from the latch hole for the sliding door being drilled too deep. Filling the hole with latex caulk solved the problem.

Check your roof for the location of your vent pipe. The pipe will give you an indication of the best location to start looking in the trailer. Look for open holes in the wall. A screw into the vent pipe shouldn't be a problem unless the screw has worked its way out while traveling.

Let your nose be your guide. You might have to go outside several times to clear your nose and start over.
2015 RW 36FB w/GY 114 "H" tires, disc brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide, Furrion wireless backup camera
TnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #11

We too had the same problem in our 2013 Redwood...Long story short come to find out that the waste from the toilet was leaking into underbelly of trailer.!!! we found out by just removing a few screws of underbelly and it was full of .....Yep Waste ! the tank was never braced to trailer so when trailer was moved tank came away from toilet.
Steve & Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 04:18 PM   #12

We only get the sewer smell when the air conditioner is running. Does anyone have any thoughts on what would cause that? Thanks!
snidely1440 is offline   Reply With Quote