Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairfairy View Post
The leaks were in the water line to the ice maker just under the kitchen sink and by the spice rack. The second ran for awhile before we found it. What a mess. Now my floor is getting soft.
Do you know what failed? Coupling? Tubing?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #22

On our residential, it was odd in that the frozen part was actually IN our 38GK behind the bottom drawer in the slide... so it sprayed inside the coach !!!!
we didn't recognize it was a leak until we saw water coming out the bottom and under the slide into the kitchen... but we found out the drawers will hold water
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #23

We had a water leak from the ice maker in our 2012 36FL. We had it repeatedly worked on at both ExploreUSA and Camping World. Camping World actually replaced the ice maker. It continued to leak. In frustration, I turned it off and went to purchasing ice. Fortunately, we spotted National RV Refrigeration when we were in Shipshewana for the rally in Indiana last year. They took out the fridge, checked everything! Made corrections to the fan mountings, put on new door gaskets, ran a new water line and put in baffles that were not there originally. Knock on wood; we haven't had a problem since! We have an extended warranty so some of the work was covered by that. The rest we paid for and just could not believe how reasonable his pricing was. If you're near Shipshewana and need fridge repair, I highly recommend National RV Refrigeration.
slm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #24

It was the tubing. It has many fractures in it. It has never been frozen while we have had it however. It looks like cheap product. My husband sells plumbing supplies and he said it was bad product �� we have moved out so they can work on it.
Hairfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #25
lwg

Wonder if it was sliced up at the factory? This might be something worth replacing with the PEX line. I think it would be fairly easy to do once you get the couple of bits needed. Your biggest issue might be the bend that's in the line behind the fridge, however you could probably device some other solution for that.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:49 AM   #26

Yea! Just got our home back. Thanks to Explore USA. They did a great job on the RV. Even fixed the bedroom slide in slide. Said they were having problems on other units and fixed ours. Our bed was dropping down at the head. Got all our kinks out. It's so nice to be back home. Only down side is it took over a month to get the work done. Upside was all warranty. Tim in the service department called me once a week for updates. I couldn't have had a better customer service. From Mike the GM, Randy , sales and all the wonderful USA team I'm thankful. I do love my Redwood.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:03 AM   #27

Personally, I can't see where there will ever be a solution to this icemaker line problem. Whenever you plan on bending a water line every time you put the slide in and out it eventually is going to spring a leak. Bad idea to begin with. I have turned my ice maker off and plan on just purchasing a portable ice maker and put it in the basement when I need to make ice. After you make the ice in the portable, bag it and put it in the freezer.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:14 AM   #28

My 39 mb developed a leak 6 in from ice maker valve, supply line side, in mid air, not touching anything.
Solved problem by replacing with a 20 ft stainless braded line from lowes, 12 ft heat tape from ice valve to underbelly inside frame, plugged in fridge outlet, heat tape has 38 degree thermostat, make shure it lies in bottom of compartment. Fridge has heat cable from.valve to ice maker from factory.
Braded line has 1800 psi test where poly line is 125
Also is rubber vs. Nylon.....will not burst even if frozen
Six year old aussie shepard (Remy)
Semi retired, looking for somewhere to go
Hard to stay home with this much stuff
redwoodin with remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:27 AM   #29

Ours leaked under the sink luckily I caught it early. Repaired the line but I am not turning it back on the design is not good and I am not interested in having water damage.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:23 AM   #30

you may have to cut the holes in the fridge area a little larger but a three-quarter inch drill will work fine..... install the stainless steel braided line which you can buy from any home improvement store ...get the 20 footer ....strip heat tape down it... foam insulated ....DONE
Old 03-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #31

There is no reason these lines should be doing that - unless they are counterfeit or knock-offs. The RV industry does have a habit of finding stuff that comes to them on boats that look like parts, but aren't really parts

Only on an RV are tires black and round but pop like balloons, seals black and shiny but turn to gum when hot, hydraulic hoses that feel like high pressure hoses and fittings but burst in the middle for no reason, LP hoses that should never develop leaks after 2 years, etc, etc. I was just looking for the brand of my daughters sound system in her RV Saturday so we could find a manual on-line, and it actually does not have a name. It has a serial number, but nowhere on that unit is there a name of the manufacturer. Definitely came in on a boat.

I know even Home Depot parts is a few bars below good - but I've found just replacing some of this stuff with stuff I can get my hand on locally is usually the fix.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
There is no reason these lines should be doing that - unless they are counterfeit or knock-offs. The RV industry does have a habit of finding stuff that comes to them on boats that look like parts, but aren't really parts

Only on an RV are tires black and round but pop like balloons, seals black and shiny but turn to gum when hot, hydraulic hoses that feel like high pressure hoses and fittings but burst in the middle for no reason, LP hoses that should never develop leaks after 2 years, etc, etc. I was just looking for the brand of my daughters sound system in her RV Saturday so we could find a manual on-line, and it actually does not have a name. It has a serial number, but nowhere on that unit is there a name of the manufacturer. Definitely came in on a boat.

I know even Home Depot parts is a few bars below good - but I've found just replacing some of this stuff with stuff I can get my hand on locally is usually the fix.
AGREED! !!!!!
dont think I didn't pressure check new line before installing, and from now on I will OCD check for wet spots. I realize that these are complex units, and if every system was built with top quality components, most of us wouldn't be willing to pay the price.

When owning an RV....you must know which end of a screwdriver does the work!!!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #33

I think the ice maker water line will always be a problem. We are just going to buy ice. Not worth the long wait to get it fixed or chance water damage.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #34

Exactly why we did not get the icemaker option... residential unit at home was the biggest PITA I have ever owned... leaked, broke, etc. Make ice the old fashion way and store in the freezer in a cut down 1 gal water jug and buy ice from time to time. If or when we ever go on a longer trip will buy the Domestic portable to make ice.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #35

We use our ice maker as the "more sterile" ice for drinks.

We also have the Dometic and my daughter works diligently at keeping coolers full, but it is not necessarily the cleanest ice, especially when operating it outside (blown dirt, bugs, grandson projects, etc). Inside they are too noisy and generate heat I don't want.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:09 AM   #36

mmm bugs and dirt... good and good for ya...
Old 03-06-2015, 01:44 AM   #37

Yeah ! "Mudbugs" - they are pretty good eating in Sowth Losing Annie

Meh Shay,
we pass you a goud time wid sum Crawfish Etoufee !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:55 AM   #38

My 39mb is on order with the Whirlpool residential option. Been reading these posts about the icemaker line leak issue(s). Looks like I'll be leaning toward just buying bagged ice like I've always done anyway......is there a water supply valve shutoff somewhere to the icemaker ??
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #39

If it is like all other Redwoods, there will be a shut off valve under the kitchen sink.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:17 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey View Post
My 39mb is on order with the Whirlpool residential option. Been reading these posts about the icemaker line leak issue(s). Looks like I'll be leaning toward just buying bagged ice like I've always done anyway......is there a water supply valve shutoff somewhere to the icemaker ??
If it is like my 38GK, it is under your kitchen sink.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote