Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #21

Open the cover one time,
put this and this on,
and never open those boxes again !

Most class A's have this and makes it easy to maintain batteries !
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:10 AM   #22

Is it necessary to keep the lids on the batteries? First off, when I took delivery of my trailer, it only came with a battery to power the 12v side of the house. When I asked about where the other one was, I was told that they didn't include that one (the one that powers the inverter). Nice, so I had to buy a battery and make up wires to keep it charged off the 12v side. Once I put the battery in the box, the lids won't even come close to fitting over them w/ the battery wiring installed. So I just kind of prop them up on the top of the battery as best I can and call it a day.

Will this present a problem of some sort along the way???
trjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjohnston View Post
Is it necessary to keep the lids on the batteries? First off, when I took delivery of my trailer, it only came with a battery to power the 12v side of the house. When I asked about where the other one was, I was told that they didn't include that one (the one that powers the inverter). Nice, so I had to buy a battery and make up wires to keep it charged off the 12v side. Once I put the battery in the box, the lids won't even come close to fitting over them w/ the battery wiring installed. So I just kind of prop them up on the top of the battery as best I can and call it a day.

Will this present a problem of some sort along the way???
There are many variables that exist in answering your question correctly. We do not know what trailer you own, whether or not you have the residential refrigerator or the RV fridge, what types of batteries you purchased. If you do not have the residential refrigerator than you probably do not have an inverter, only a converter, and in that case, unless you boondock, you could get by with 1 battery. Unless you bought an oversize battery, you should've been able to get the lid back on the battery box. If they are a regular marine type battery they can release gasses so it is important to have the lid attached properly so they will be vented outside via the tube attached to the top of the boxes.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:57 AM   #24

Your dealer should've replaced the cheapo shipping battery with 2 better batteries (at least group 27), but some dealers didn't & that's the dealer to avoid in the future.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:04 AM   #25

I replaced our original 2 batteries with 6 6volt interstate batteries. I added additional shut off switch and portable solar charger that I attach to the pin box when in storage. built a custom poly pro box and lid and vented with tube. I then added the pro fill system to all batteries. So far this has worked great for us. I also added a second inverter by battery box to use a small compressor when needed.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergeman View Post
For how difficult checking batteries is, switch to AGM's and throw away the boxes.
Agree!!! Did the exact same thing after going thru the fustration of dealing with Redwood's poorly designed battery box /cable setup to simply check the batteries. Went with AGM'S which will sit on battery TRAYS for ease of maintaince (no watering issues) and future removal if necessary.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #27

one of the things I have done is program my inverter to charge at a very low rate , you can do this by telling your inverter to use the 15 amp power supply and going into the programing peramerter. I also turn off my 12v house 90 amp converter 90% of the time unless I am moving the slides or landing gear. By doing this it doesn't bulk rate charge over 15 amps witch help stop battery off gassing. With LED lights in the entire coach power demand is way less then it used to be . this in turn should help with the water in the batterys needs.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:54 PM   #28

I wrestled with the battery boxes in my '17 36RL this past weekend. I have just removed the tops of the boxes for now. The heavy inverter wires were stuck through a hole in the top portion of the box making it impossible to remove without removing the wires from the battery. Very poor design!

Despite the battery cutoff switch disconnecting everything except the MMS1012 Inverter/Charger I was still experiencing batteries running down to low levels while my Redwood was in storage over a few weeks time. The 1/0 cables from the Inverter were long enough for me to move the fuse block closer to the cutoff switch so that the existing cable could be connected to the cutoff switch instead the battery. I also discovered that they only used #10 jumper wires between the two 12v batteries which is way undersized for the application. I replaced those with some #6 cables I had available.

For those with the residential refrigerator and inverter; I contacted Magnum about the MMS1012 using DC battery power when no AC input is available and the inverter function is off. They replied that the unit uses 490 milliamps which is about .5A so if you have dual 12v batteries with total capacity of 180 A-H that would last about 15 days of storage before you have dead batteries. I would recommend that you disconnect the cable from the battery or have the inverter positive (red) wire moved to the disconnect switch as I have done.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #29

Battery Compartment

Found this as an easy fix for water fill.
Camping World
Qwik-Fill Dual 12-Volt Battery Watering System
Catalog Item # 27037 $61
Pro-Fill Handy Pump
Catalog Item # 27036 $20
jerfos is offline   Reply With Quote