Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2016, 11:04 PM   #1

Battery box

Has any one replaced the two battery boxes with just one large one? The way the cables route from one box to the other is just a pain. I've been looking for one, but not having much luck. Room for a 18" x 24". I've got the 38fl.
Moland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moland View Post
Has any one replaced the two battery boxes with just one large one? The way the cables route from one box to the other is just a pain. I've been looking for one, but not having much luck. Room for a 18" x 24". I've got the 38fl.

Here are some possible sources.

Battery Boxes:
Dyno Golf Cart Battery Box - 4 Battery Version

http://moellermarine.com/product-cat...battery-boxes/

Battery Trays:
http://www.morryde.com/downloads/lit...ng%20Trays.pdf

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:07 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
There are some posts on here where they installed a very nice looking white marine box for the battery's
Old 02-28-2016, 03:15 AM   #4

The Battery box area with all the rats nest of wires is another area of huge disappointment on the RW. Such a shame that beauty only goes skin deep on the RW. I don't know about all RW but mine is a real rats nest of wires and cheap very cheap wire connectors. The Battery boxes are a joke. No real effective way to serve the batteries. Thanks for post these sites with alternatives.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #5

I've heard two or three complaints about the battery location on the Redwood and I just don't get it. Are those folks coming from MH with slide out trays and these are awkward to get to or something? The batteries have been in the same location in every 5th wheel I've owned, and I never gave servicing them a second thought, certainly not to the point I feel like I need a tray or something.

The wiring could be tidied up a bit, which maybe I'll get some zip ties and try to clean that up a little this spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02354.JPG (169.1 KB, 15 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I've heard two or three complaints about the battery location on the Redwood and I just don't get it. Are those folks coming from MH with slide out trays and these are awkward to get to or something? The batteries have been in the same location in every 5th wheel I've owned, and I never gave servicing them a second thought, certainly not to the point I feel like I need a tray or something.

The wiring could be tidied up a bit, which maybe I'll get some zip ties and try to clean that up a little this spring.
For a company that advertises its product design in favor of the Baby Boomers, the fact that I have to get on my knees to check the battery, turn the battery on and off, and isolate a slideout during travel, is NOT conducive to seniors. My prior fifth wheel had the battery compartment and switch located chest high
about where our street side propane tank is located. Both propane tanks were located together on the other side. By the way, the batteries were also in a slide tray which made it convenient to check. If we are traveling and decide to isolate a slide, you need to be a contortionist because the door will not open fully with the truck hitched. Why not have a separate switch for each slide? For me, these are definite must haves in my next RV. There are other items I would require as well, but that's another post. Don't get me wrong, Redwood has a great product in their price point, but some extra thought could make it a much better "Baby Boomer" friendly product.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #7

I have to assume this was all readily apparent when you bought the Redwood, so at his point it is just a gripe. You could have went with the brand you already had.

I personally don't find any of it to be a hassle.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #8

Battery Box

AA your battery compartment is very clean compared to mine. Mine is not as simple as just a few zip ties. The Wires were not cut to length and so there is a huge excess of wires. The big deal about having to get down on my knees to service my batteries is not for me such a big deal. I am blessed with health and agility for the time being. However, my former fifth wheel a Carriage had a sliding tray at waist hight on the drivers side. All of the wires were run like someone with electrical knowledge wired it. It was very clean look and made it easy to trace if needed to. No I did not notice when I bought it. I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of it that I over looked a lot of things. My common sense for one thing went on the blink.....
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:23 PM   #9

I remember you came from a Carriage, and I had a feeling your expectations may have ended up too high for the Redwood - but Carriage is gone, and Lifestyle was not the resurrection of Carriage, so not sure where you turn.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
For a company that advertises its product design in favor of the Baby Boomers, the fact that I have to get on my knees to check the battery, turn the battery on and off, and isolate a slideout during travel, is NOT conducive to seniors. My prior fifth wheel had the battery compartment and switch located chest high
about where our street side propane tank is located. Both propane tanks were located together on the other side. By the way, the batteries were also in a slide tray which made it convenient to check. If we are traveling and decide to isolate a slide, you need to be a contortionist because the door will not open fully with the truck hitched. Why not have a separate switch for each slide? For me, these are definite must haves in my next RV. There are other items I would require as well, but that's another post. Don't get me wrong, Redwood has a great product in their price point, but some extra thought could make it a much better "Baby Boomer" friendly product.
I think a lot of folks would agree with this
Old 02-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
AA your battery compartment is very clean compared to mine. Mine is not as simple as just a few zip ties. The Wires were not cut to length and so there is a huge excess of wires. The big deal about having to get down on my knees to service my batteries is not for me such a big deal. I am blessed with health and agility for the time being. However, my former fifth wheel a Carriage had a sliding tray at waist hight on the drivers side. All of the wires were run like someone with electrical knowledge wired it. It was very clean look and made it easy to trace if needed to. No I did not notice when I bought it. I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of it that I over looked a lot of things. My common sense for one thing went on the blink.....
Most buyers do get overwhelmed when taking delivery and miss a lot of things weather it be likes or dislikes with the rig. It took me a year of looking at all the RW's . I went to all the shows and drove back and forth to the dealer and each time I had my check list and asked if things could be changes. Some changes were things the factory did in error. Then when I took delivery I stayed on the dealers lot for two days doing a PDI. I found staying at the dealer for the second gave me a chance to get past the overwhelming feeling. There were things that I found wrong and the dealer was more than happy to fix them.
1998 International 4700LP 4 door ,DT530,300hp 6sp.with a 4:10 ,air ride https://www.redwoodowners.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic1866_1.gif[/IMG]
ET156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
Site Team

The original idea and design of the Redwood is great! The location of the batteries have been discussed since the first model year with no improvements. Being a consumer and not an engineer I don't understand why this hasn't been improved.

When a product is introduced, in most cases it's improved upon to maintain the edge on the competition and to maintain a market share.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #13

Ah, the art of persuasive propaganda -
  • Baby Boomer
  • Clima-Comfort
  • Diamond Furniture Collection
  • Falcon Integrated Technology (FIT)
  • 2+5 Warranty
All buzzwords that got us to sign the check...........suckers

Baby Boomer - very few of us look like or have the physique of those white haired 40 year olds pictured on the website

Clima-Comfort - I think everyone is finding the temperature tolerance window is about 30 degrees to either side of 60. Above that the ACs don't keep up because of poor ductwork, below that and pipes freeze because of limited belly insulation.

Diamond Furniture Collection - How many tossed the furniture the first year - tossed the bed, or even had broken chairs?

Falcon Integrated Technology (FIT) - A fancy way to say we are in bed with Lippert and their ain't a chance it heck you'll ever see a Dexter or Mor-Ryde product on one of these. FIT means regardless of what part breaks, you get a single point of contact that will tell you no, instead of 2 or 3.

2+5 Warranty - Well, the President of Redwood made that pretty clear at the Rally that 5 year was a total hype to sell Redwoods.

So after it's all done and said - its an RV. Not the best, but we like ours and because I came from Montana, it is a wonderful upgrade. Those of you that came from Teton, Carriage, or even DRV, you set your target too low.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:07 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Ah, the art of persuasive propaganda -
  • Baby Boomer
  • Clima-Comfort
  • Diamond Furniture Collection
  • Falcon Integrated Technology (FIT)
  • 2+5 Warranty
All buzzwords that got us to sign the check...........suckers

Baby Boomer - very few of us look like or have the physique of those white haired 40 year olds pictured on the website

Clima-Comfort - I think everyone is finding the temperature tolerance window is about 30 degrees to either side of 60. Above that the ACs don't keep up because of poor ductwork, below that and pipes freeze because of limited belly insulation.

Diamond Furniture Collection - How many tossed the furniture the first year - tossed the bed, or even had broken chairs?

Falcon Integrated Technology (FIT) - A fancy way to say we are in bed with Lippert and their ain't a chance it heck you'll ever see a Dexter or Mor-Ryde product on one of these. FIT means regardless of what part breaks, you get a single point of contact that will tell you no, instead of 2 or 3.

2+5 Warranty - Well, the President of Redwood made that pretty clear at the Rally that 5 year was a total hype to sell Redwoods.

So after it's all done and said - its an RV. Not the best, but we like ours and because I came from Montana, it is a wonderful upgrade. Those of you that came from Teton, Carriage, or even DRV, you set your target too low.

Brad, I think you summed that up pretty good.

F.I.T. used to be advertised as ....."No more fighting with suppliers because we'll fight for you". This was supposed to separate Redwood from all the competition because at the time this was a real issue with RV owners. I believe that fight was over in 2014
Old 02-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #15

Well said Brad!
Yep, it's an rv & regardles of what you pay for it, IT'S AN RV & none of the manufacturers have the bar set very high in the quality control departments.
What's even more sad is that most everything is getting that way today, there's not much quality control in anything!! We are in a park currently that's selling lots & adding park models & the guy with his new one had dozens of issues that were all just laziness or just plain did not give a **** when building it.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #16

This appears to have gotten way off track. I'm looking for someone that has replaced the two single battery boxes with just one that will fit the space. I'm happy with where the batteries are, but thanks for side tracking my post..
Moland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #17

Sorry, I thought you got your answer by the second post.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:11 PM   #18

one mod I did do to make access to battery box easier, I took out the battery, removed the box,placed a strap under the box, reconnected the box, put the battery back in and now I don't need the screws to keep the lid on the box. Just lap the strap over the lid and tighten with a connector, done!!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:48 AM   #19

Here is a shot of the battery box, 4 golf cart batteries installed. This is the Dyno box in the previous post.

Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Version 2.jpg (123.7 KB, 12 views)
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #20

I don't understand what you mean by "isolate the slide during travel." I was unaware that you should turn the battery switch to off during travel. Or am I misunderstanding?
bruce byram is offline   Reply With Quote