Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 10:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersm View Post
I can live with the awkward access, but am amused by the impossible covers to the batteries themselves. Those vented covers don't remove easily to service the batteries.
I don't use the fasteners in the lids...just let the lids lay on top. I found that the boxes vent just fine.

Bob
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watersm View Post
I can live with the awkward access, but am amused by the impossible covers to the batteries themselves. Those vented covers don't remove easily to service the batteries.
I took web strapping like you find on backpacks, took the battery out then the box, and positioned the strapping under the box. I remounted the box, replaced the battery and threw the lid screws away. Now I just strap the top down snug and it's easy access!!!!!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:44 PM   #43

Always fought that back battery on the 38gk... and found something on the current motorhome that fixes that...
Take the cover off one more time and put this in there and never have to take it off again
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:59 AM   #44

I have the pro fill on our RW and it works great as Johnboy stated. It makes it so easy to add the water and don't have to open the box each time.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:26 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzby View Post
I don't use the fasteners in the lids...just let the lids lay on top. I found that the boxes vent just fine.

Bob
I don't fasten my lids either. The lids stay down against the foam seals without a problem. My 2 group 27 Interstates have yet to need water added after 2.5 years.

Mark
Old 06-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I've heard two or three complaints about the battery location on the Redwood and I just don't get it. Are those folks coming from MH with slide out trays and these are awkward to get to or something? The batteries have been in the same location in every 5th wheel I've owned, and I never gave servicing them a second thought, certainly not to the point I feel like I need a tray or something.

The wiring could be tidied up a bit, which maybe I'll get some zip ties and try to clean that up a little this spring.
Has anyone installed a terminal block in the battery compartment? The factory used the front battery as terminals for 3 reds and 3 blacks. The wires lay over the filler caps on the battery and adding water is a real pain. I'm thinking of having 2 wires to connect to the back battery and 2 more to connect to a distribution terminal. Seems like that would be much cleaner. I might go to a larger, single compartment as well.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:47 PM   #47

RWCal I was planning to purchase a Dyno GC2 which would hold 2 6v golf cart batteries. I have 2 12v batteries now, but could upgrade later. I like your idea of adding another terminal and cut down on some of the cabling. Post a picture when your done!
Fred
Old 06-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #48

I have the residential fridge, so I need 2 12's. I'm looking for box that is a little more reasonable in price that will handle them. I may have to build one. I'm also considering building a sliding tray for them.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote