Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #1

Bathroom GFI

The GFI in our bathroom would no longer reset after being tripped. We figured it was worn out. We figured it happened as at times when you can only have 30 amp power, the power got tripped from running too many things at once.
But it was even happening when we had 50 amp power.
We got ourselves a new 20 amp GFI and followed the instructions and wired it exactly as the one that was taken out.
We bought this GFI from ACE. We cannot get it to work. We recently had a mobile tech fix a water Leak" issue,see other thread, he tried fixing the GFI , but could not get it to work. He said is was wired correctly because the indicator light was green as opposed to red.

Any ideas.....I checked the fifth wheel for an additional GFI but it seems there is only one
TroutTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #2

On our 2012 36RL our Breaker #2 is what protects the GFCI circuit. Ours has a 15 amp breaker for it. I would assume that a 15 amp GFCI is what is in our bathroom. If Redwood installed a 15 amp breaker, then the wiring is 14/2 and can not handle a 20 amp load. I would get the proper 15 amp GFCI from ACE hardware or wherever you can. Our 36RL also only had the 1 GFCI in the bathroom. When I tested to see what was on which circuit in the entire coach I discovered what is on that breaker. On ours it is as follows:

Breaker #2 15A
labeled GFCI
Bathroom GFCI
Exterior recep between entry door and basement storage
Basement wall recep for tv
Recep inside Grandpas Tool Shed
Recep in Docking Station/ convenience center
Central VAC recep
Kitchen Island receps
Dishwasher recep

Not sure why yours iIsn't working correctly, but hope this helps you solve the problem.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:02 AM   #3

I doubt that the original GFCI is faulty, especially since you have replaced and it still will not work. I would highly suspect one of the other outlets that feed off of that GFCI are having an issue and that GFCI trips as it is designed to do. I would check the outlets that feed off of it to make sure the wires are tight and any possible water infiltration possibly on the exterior outlet. If you can't isolate it I would then try replacing the outlets that feed from the GFCI. You could have a bad receptacle and they are not expensive to replace. It really truly sounds like the GFCI is doing what it is designed to do. Any receptacle that feeds off of that GFCI is protected and will trip that GFCI if there is an issue.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

Someone told me to unplug all electrical appliances and then try the GFI. Is the central vac plugged into an outlet . If yes where can I find that outlet.
TroutTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #5

Recep for vac is behind basement wall near the vacuum. Unscrew and take the wall down and you will find it there.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote