Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2015, 12:03 AM   #41

I looked and did some research on the Winnebago's and there were issues with the roof and how they are assembled. There to many reports that the roof peeled back in heavy wind. not something I wanted to chance.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:35 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
I looked and did some research on the Winnebago's and there were issues with the roof and how they are assembled. There to many reports that the roof peeled back in heavy wind. not something I wanted to chance.
I just traded my Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour. We absolutely loved it for many years. Absolutely no roof issues (or anything else for that matter) and the cabinets were beautiful. I even considered updating the old tube TV's and building new cabinets for those. The only problems I ever had was a slide hose broke and the ice maker hose had a small drip. Very solid unit and I will miss it.

The Redwood really got my attention when I went to the dealership with my son who purchased a Winnebago trailer.

Since I already owned the truck to pull "my wife's boat" we decided to go with the 5th wheel and get rid of one more powertrain to maintain. I am not sure I could (want to) afford a new Vectra or Tour but if I could it would be on my shortlist.

Larry
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:42 AM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
I just traded my Winnebago Grand Tour. We absolutely loved it for many years. Absolutely no roof issues (or anything else for that matter) and the cabinets were beautiful. I even considered updating the old tube TV's and building new cabinets for those. The only problems I ever had was a slide hose broke and the ice maker hose had a small drip. Very solid unit and I will miss it.

The Redwood really got my attention when I went to the dealership with my son who purchased a Winnebago trailer.

Since I already owned the truck to pull "my wife's boat" we decided to go with the 5th wheel and get rid of one more powertrain to maintain. I am not sure I could (want to) afford a new Tour but if I could it would be on my shortlist.

Larry
Larry,

Thanks for that information. It's always nice to hear facts from owners or previous owners rather than the rumor mill. Sometimes on these forums it gets kind of hard sorting facts from perceived notions.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:07 AM   #44

Roof pulled loose - iRV2 Forums

here is a link to one forum entry about the roof you will see many others that have had the same issue. Winnebago separation is a known issue for many years. Winnebago has worked on correcting this in the last few years but the construction method is not as reliable as others in the industry. But all brans have issues this is just one I did not want to risk a large investment in.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #45

Thanks for the article - good tip!

It looks like the focus was late 1990s and a few 2001 models and maybe one guy with a 2007. Also reads as if it affected Monaco as well. The key was to make sure the roof stays sealed at the edge so the fiberglass stays tight and is not allowed to break around the screws and separate from the edge strap or awning rail.

Hopefully in the 2011 redesign they corrected some of that.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #46

At the time I was looking at the Tour it was in 2010-2011. I looked at the new models in 2013 and they are still using the same design of roof. There were many other articles at the time. But I think your are correct the key was maintaining the seal I am sure that there are many out there that have had no issue.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #47

I did notice Winnebago and Itasca came standard with a step ladder in the basement I guess that is so you can caulk the roof every 6 months.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #48
Site Team

Brad,

that's one of the things I don't like about the Entegra Anthem. They don't have a ladder at all in the back because they said that it messes up their styling. I use the ladder on my Aspire all the time and can't see myself without one.

As far as the roofs go......I love the fiberglass roof which was a selling point for me. I just don't trust the rubber or vinyl roofs.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:41 PM   #49

My Newmar did not have a ladder on the back either so I bought a little giant ladder and I have used it on all our RV's since. It feels more secure than the ones mounted to the back of the RV. The one on the back of our RW scares me it says 250lbs but I am not really wanting to chance it. I have a 20 ft Little Giant that fits nicely in the storage bay of the RW. One big thing I miss about the MH is the Fiberglass roof I felt fine walking around on top of it. I don't have the same security on the rubber roof of the RW.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #50

I was just laughing, as the Winnebago has a ladder in the back, but also they come with a step ladder mounted in the basement as a standard. I thought it was cool, but now maybe its for roof maintenance! I see they should have gone to a J hook on the bottom of their fiberglass form like some of the others did. Would have saved them some grief.

Hate to say man, but the ladder is gone on the 2016 Aspire as well.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #51
Site Team

I carry the Little Giant as well that I use for waxing. When getting on the roof I have to lean the little Giant against the paint, which I don't like doing.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #52

That is why I bought the larger little Giant so I could get on the roof using it as a step ladder and not leaning against the RV. I could see taking in the RV with two holes in the side from the ladder. don't think that would be a warranty claim.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #53

Looks like we may be selling our RW soon anyway. bought a new house last week and the RW is little much for a weekender. Work had other plans for us over the last year and now will in one location instead of ability to move around. Old saying more time less money. More money less time. DW likes the more money side LOL
Old 12-23-2015, 01:17 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
It's been awhile since I posted anything but just doing a little thinking outside the box. This question is for anyone that's thinking of or already installed a backup camera.
Does it matter where you put the camera? I was thinking of mounting it on the hitch on the back of the trailer. Going to use the same unit as "Atom Ant" and run the wires down the frame to the pin box.
The main reason I need the camera is to back up the driveway and get into the barn which requires some hard turns. Cutting the fiberglass and routing the wires down the frame with my shaky skills looks like a disaster in the making. Just wondering if anyone thought about doing something like this. Thanks.
I know I am coming into this thread several days late... but I wanted to give you a quick response. We installed our back up camera just below the back window above the hitch. We want to be able to watch the jeep. It has worked great for us. I put some pictures on another thread related to the back up camera.

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote