Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 05:32 AM   #1

Axles and Leaf Springs

We have a 36RL 2015 and we broke both sides leaf springs on the front axle. Anyone ever have this issue and what did you do to keep it from happening again.
I talk to a trailer dealer and they think torsion axles?
Love to hear your good input.

osolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #2

The very best option is to upgrade to the MorRyde IS (independent suspension) though a bit pricey.
If you have not upgraded to bronze bushings in the springs then I'd suspect that is what caused your springs to break, once the worthless plastic bushings wore out (mine were all but gone in 5-6k miles) & seized up so instead of pivoting as they should they flexed at the spring eyes until the spring broke. That's my opinion.
A cheaper upgrade would be Mor Ryde heavy shackle/wet bolts kit which comes with 1/2" thick shackles, quality wet bolts, & enough bronze bushings to replace all & possibly the MR SRE 4000 equalizer.
Also just my opinion.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #3

Axles

Thanks for your time. I will look at the bushings again to be sure, but if I remember correctly they where in ok shape. I believe, it's a combination of low quality steel used on the springs and the disgusting shape of our California roads. I broke three springs on each stack. We are not overloaded!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1940.jpg (269.4 KB, 26 views)
osolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Site Team

We made the decision very early on to change ours to the MorRyde IS Suspension. Big investment but one that we have never regretted. Does away with all the springs and shackles and everything under there. More than 32k trouble free and better ride and handling miles since then.

I seem to remember there is now an install facility on the West Coast so that you don't have to make the trip to Indiana - unless you want too.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

Vaughan is referring to a company called Henderson's Line Up in Grant's Pass, Oregon. They are a MorRyde IS authorized installer. However my experience is they are quite a bit more expensive than the MorRyde facility in Indiana.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:19 PM   #6

Sounds like OP should go to the Rally! Get a good deal on IS.

2017 Ram Longhorn 3500 Cummings/Aisin DRW LB CC and a cute little aftermarket fuel cap
MuddFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #7

It takes something devastating to do that to your springs. Those leaves are bent and then broken. I’ll bet you have more damage under there besides broken springs. My “poor quality steel” springs don’t look like that!
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:51 AM   #8

Osolate,

I had the same thing happen to our 38 GK only on the rear axle. One of the thing I noticed was the metal in the break was multiple colors of blue and very little rust after riding in the back of my truck a couple of weeks. There has been a run on this happening to many rigs like ours from what I have found out. To me it looks as though the spring manufacturer had a bad batch of substandard metal in the springs they made. The reason I say this is years ago in my industry we had a problem with train separations where the coupler I. E. draw bar was breaking on a certain set of cars all the same break all the same look to the metal. Every one of these couplers had to be changed out account bad cast steel quality is what was found. I am not a scientist or expert on metal but it sure seems as our situation may be the same case. I have since changed out all our springs and keep a couple on hand just in case. For 32 bucks a piece it is pretty cheap insurance. Also mine broke AFTER installing the Morryde 4000 and bronze bushings. The IS is very expensive and I can not justify it yet for our needs. Trailer Performance Braking has an option to stay with the 7000 pound configuration axles only heavy duty thick walled axles with 8000 springs. If I do this I can keep my existing Morryde 4000 system and it will work fine. The 4000's works great the RW rides very good with the extra suspension combined with a Hensley air ride 5th wheel hitch (BD-3). The air ride hitch is one thing I changed up and will never go without ever again. Best part is I can haul anyone's rig and still have the air ride with me. So there is my little spiel on what happened to us and how i worked around it. Good Luck in your decision what is the best way for you to handle it.

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #9

When I was looking for a new trailer recently I spent some time on the Grand Design forums and they saw a significant amount of spring breakage on Lippert supplied springs in the '15 - '16 model build years. GD actually has switched to Dexter axles/springs for all models after late '17 builds. I agree with TomnGina06 that there is likely a material issue. I have noticed on my "new to me" '17 36RL that the springs appear a bit flat which was also a widely reported issue on the Lippert supplied springs. I may also give Lippert a call to see if they will replace them.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #10

Maybe to much Lead in the Spring Steel from China?? since there was lead in enough other things from China.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote