Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #21

First of all I agree with Brad, no way do you have Dexter axles or brakes unless you added them & second I'd not grease at all before I'd pump into those spindle zerks as you will definitely have problems then, but you must do what you must!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Don't know how you intend to lube your bearings, but I would definitely advise against using the bearing buddy zerks unless you've replaced the grease seals with a better quality seal. Even then I'm fairly sure mine will be done by hand from now on.
The Falcon/Dexter connection is noted on Trailer Life site: E-Z Lube Service. From there I went to the Dexter site and downloaded the manual for my axles. There is also a you tube video that goes into detail about lubing EZ Lube axles. Blowing a seal is still a concern for me when lubing. Hopefully I will be in one piece upon arrival at the RW rally.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #23

I'm fairly certain Lippert & Dexters greasing procedure are identical, but Dexter uses better quality components. I greased mine once following those very same procedures you're referring to & 6 months later I replaced all 4 brake assemblies, whether I did it or not I'll never know, but I do know it won't happen again by being greased by that method.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #24

Also from reading these forums I would bet that your brakes are/were contaminated from the factory. When you get around to pulling the wheels to check I'd have 4 Dexter brake assemblies close by, very simple job with complete assemblies.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
Old 07-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #25

It's frustrating that we have to end up repairing/replacing/upgrading basic parts of our rigs that are safety related...tires, wheels, seals, bearings, brakes! Seems to me items should meet safety standards when they are being manufactured. For a vehicle that's supposed to be "all season" for Fulltime living it seems to be coming up a little short. Don't get me wrong, I know they are put through a lot. However, they should be built to meet basic safety standards. We really like our RW; however, it seems it's a never ending process keeping it road-ready.
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzby View Post
It's frustrating that we have to end up repairing/replacing/upgrading basic parts of our rigs that are safety related...tires, wheels, seals, bearings, brakes! Seems to me items should meet safety standards when they are being manufactured. For a vehicle that's supposed to be "all season" for Fulltime living it seems to be coming up a little short. Don't get me wrong, I know they are put through a lot. However, they should be built to meet basic safety standards. We really like our RW; however, it seems it's a never ending process keeping it road-ready.
So much crow to eat. You guys are spot on. I crawled under my rig and noted the large Lippert label on each axle. As noted by other members EZ Lube appears to be a process and not related to Dexter. So....ooooo I will travel to the rally hoping all stays together. Thanks to all for sharing your insights with this still learning RV'er. I did carefully lube the bearings however ???????

If I need to make repairs that will be the time to change out to disk brakes and a high quality axle lube system. Seems strange to be so worried with only 500 miles on my rig and expensive repairs!!
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote