Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #1

Awning

I am unable to adjust the pitch to my awnings. They were in flat pitch position when I received the coach from the dealer. When I push the button to move the arm to change the pitch it will not move. Any information will be very much appreciated.
Richard McEwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #2

Try moving the arms when the awning is only extended about a foot out. That's how I do it. Plus I can reach it without a ladder at that point.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #3

Mine really tight the first had pull pretty hard, try a little WD-40. I also like the above idea I think will try that the next I change mine.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #4

Do you have the awning in the open or closed position? I find it easier to adjust the pitch when the awning is open.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #5

I believe I ended extending out a few feet, pushing the button and then pushed up the arm in the track n the side of the coach.

They seem hard, but once you find where to put pressure, they actually move pretty easy. I just don't remember exactly where. I've only did it a couple of times and they stay in steep pitch now.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #6

So when the pitch is changed, they can be retracted that way? My slide awning really struggled to retract and now I'm afraid to put it back out. Can they be retracted manually?
Old 06-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Linda View Post
So when the pitch is changed, they can be retracted that way? My slide awning really struggled to retract and now I'm afraid to put it back out. Can they be retracted manually?
The simple answer is yes, you can retract the awnings while they are pitched.

I have a uniguard on my main awning and sometimes it is difficult to get it to open while pitched. I have had to return the pitched side to its original position at times to get it to release the awning from the uniguard. It will unroll but the arms won't slide out so the fabric just unrolls from the arm.
At times the awnings will resist when trying to retract, especially when the wind is blowing. The motors in these things are not the best, weak at best. At times I have to bump the extend before I can retract, other times I have to give the arms a pull to exercise the arm mechanisms before they will retract.

I am not aware of any manual method of retracting the awning, if someone does know how I'd like to know??
Old 06-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #8

Yes they can be retracted in steep pitch or flat or in between, providing the arms on both sides are relatively in the same position. I heard or read that you want to avoid retracting with one end flat and the other steep (rain dump mode) or it could bind.

My slide awning has always retracted pathetically slow, don't worry about it unless it quits retracting for some reason. Mine did once because my batteries were low, so I had to get on the picnic table while the DW held the button and I helped it along. I truly believe they have too long of a wire run to that awning and there is some voltage drop.

If you look in your manual for the awning under Emergency Operation, you can provide a separate 12V power source directly to the two motor contacts on the forward arm. You can even use an 9-18V drill battery with jumper wires. Takes a ladder, but I've done it before when installing an awning before the switches were installed.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #9

IIRC from the manual, as long as each side is within three? notches, they will extend and retract fine...

And yes, it's hard to move them without releasing the pressure... as Atom Ant said there's a trick to it... I THINK pushing up on the lower V angle a bit while releasing the push buttons helped...

liberal crc spray helped too
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #10

My Kodiak had a tag that read do not retract with more than a difference of xxx amount or it could cause binding and bend the pivots. I usually adjust the pitch with the awning open about a foot and when retracting it I stop at the same place and change it back to flat. Like I said before with the awning in that position I can reach it and have power and leverage if needed.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard McEwan View Post
I am unable to adjust the pitch to my awnings. They were in flat pitch position when I received the coach from the dealer. When I push the button to move the arm to change the pitch it will not move. Any information will be very much appreciated.
I have always had difficulty changing the pitch of the main awning, so, the last time I tried this I used a cargo strap with a ratchet to draw it right down to where I wanted it. And now, I just leave it at that setting.....works well for us. You can put the awning in and out with it pitched down with no issue. You can also have a difference in the pitch of the two ends so long as you don't exceed a 3 notch difference.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:41 AM   #12

I also adjust mine while partially open and it can be reached from the stairs. We keep it 2 or 3 notches different to prevent water pooling. It now stays in that configuration and we only open or close it.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #13

AA Do you happen to know the wire gauge to the awning? I would seriously consider running a larger gauge wire to the awning if I thought it would help.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote