Old 05-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Good deal, Joe. I have found them very helpful, especially when you get to the right tech person.

Ken
your right Ken... at 1 point she told me to move the sat 5' closer to my walkway to the left of the deck?? I said " are you stalking me?" she laughed and said " kind of".. she was using google maps, and a sat finder program they have to bring up my address, this allowed her to see what I was working with... I had a very small window to locate all 3 western arc sats...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #12

That is a problem with the Wally - they have to see all 3 satellites or they can't complete the check switch. That was one reason many stayed with the Vip211z.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:52 PM   #13

We area using the Wally and the only problem on setting it up was that Wally didn't recognize the hard drive for use a DVR. Called tech support and no luck. He said he didn't think you could use the Wally as a DVR but the guy at camping world had said it was not an issue. Needless to say, Camping word was right, DISH was wrong. I turned on the hard drive and Wally in the wrong order. Guess I was lucky about the initial setup as I had clear sky to all 3 satellites.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #14

If i knew it needed to be on the western arch to downlod, it woukd have saved me a ton of time and aggrivation..every tech told me to choose Eastern arch...
Unti the last tech..:-)
Old 05-24-2017, 02:14 AM   #15

Joe..... You have convinced me to stay with cable or antenna.... My life is quite stress free at the moment and this would put me over the edge

Steve

2014 Redwood 36FL and 2015 GMC Denali 3500 DW Duramax
Char & Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Joe..... You have convinced me to stay with cable or antenna.... My life is quite stress free at the moment and this would put me over the edge

Steve
OH MY STEVE.. I AM NOT OVER THE EDGE.. NO,NOT ME,NEVER,,NO WAY,JUST HAVE THE VOICES GETTING LOUDER IN MY HEAD...
Old 05-24-2017, 06:12 AM   #17

Joe, just a follow up. Installed my Wally today after the tech did downloads at the house a week ago, and it mated up to the Travler antenna without issue. All three satellites strong, and it immediately recognized my USB hard drive and USB OTA antenna. I of course had to let it reformat the hard drive, but no issues.

Nice menus on the Wally over the Vip211z. The Wally is more like the Hopper 3.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Joe, just a follow up. Installed my Wally today after the tech did downloads at the house a week ago, and it mated up to the Travler antenna without issue. All three satellites strong, and it immediately recognized my USB hard drive and USB OTA antenna. I of course had to let it reformat the hard drive, but no issues.

Nice menus on the Wally over the Vip211z. The Wally is more like the Hopper 3.
That's good news Brad . . I was on the phone yet again for 2 hours last night with tech support.. I was not getting any local channels...

Turns out that since I picked "2" receivers in set up, that locks out sat 61.5... which evidently is the one I need for locals??

They also told me that if I travel to FL from PA, I cannot KEEP my PA locals, they will not work, I NEED to call and change my zip code...

I am not a friend of technology ! !
Old 05-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #19

We have DISH at our house and added the RV to it for $7 per month. With this type of account, we keep our local channels no matter where we go. This is very convenient because I don't have to re-do timers on the DVR every few months when we go from 1 job to the next.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #20

Homeguy, that is the type of account I have. I lose the locals once out of the spot beam area, ususally 300-500 miles.

Joe, This is an easy fix. The reason satellite companies do this is to protect the local advertisers $ (also an FCC requirement). Makes sense when you think about it. A PA car dealer isn't going to sell many cars in FL.

So here is the fix. I have my Dish account set up on my PC/tablet/phone. Once in the new area, I log into my account go to support, chat, and choose technical support (NOT customer service). I give them my new location address (mailing address is the same), telling them I'm in my RV and want locals. After about 10 minutes, I have the locals. I have done this for years all over the western US.

It's easy and quick.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote