Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Site Team

Anyone do a Rear Desk in a RL ?

We're considering taking out the couch in the RL and having a custom desk built for that area. Wondered if anyone had done something like that and if so where you got it built and if you might have pictures

Many thanks
Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
lwg

We've considered replacing the dining room table with a desk. I have the 38BR with a desk in the office, thought about adding another desk so my wife can work remotely like I do.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
We're considering taking out the couch in the RL and having a custom desk built for that area. Wondered if anyone had done something like that and if so where you got it built and if you might have pictures

Many thanks
That's our plan exactly for our GK. Our cherry kitchen table is 72x36" and we plan to replace the couch with that. I'll make stringers with wheels for each end, raising the table to 36." We'll have a local custom cabinet maker modify Angele's sewing cart to fit underneath, and I'm designing a computer cart with a built-in lift for the 30" monitor. As needed, we can pull one of the systems out and go to work, but only one at a time. :-) She can also pull the table out, lower it to 30," and use it for cutting out fabric, or I can use it for laying out the photographic portfolios I make. This will be so much more useful than just having a couch, we think. With just the two of us, the two lounge chairs are enough, and entertaining can be done outside. Hope this gives you some ideas. No pictures yet - it isn't built!
Full-timing starting in August, 2014
AlanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Site Team

We've been talking about finding a high end bunk house and changing the bunk room into an office. I hope Redwood starts a new design. IMO the "BR" looses too much in the kitchen area..
Old 05-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

I would hate losing the look of the couch there, but that would be an ideal place for a desk! Especially if the view was nice!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #6

Yeah, but if the view was nice it would be hard to focus on work!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
lwg

I think we're going to replace the two chairs in ours with a pair of theater seats. My wife considered replacing the loveseat in the BR with some sort of comfortable reading chair.

Dave,
I agree on the kitchen in the BR. The only real disadvantage is that out pantry is half as wide. To be honest though, half of the overhead storage in the living area is empty, we could always store dry food there if need be. I really like the office option and it makes the home-office deduction for taxes a little easier as it's a physically separate space.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
I think we're going to replace the two chairs in ours with a pair of theater seats. My wife considered replacing the loveseat in the BR with some sort of comfortable reading chair.

Dave,
I agree on the kitchen in the BR. The only real disadvantage is that out pantry is half as wide. To be honest though, half of the overhead storage in the living area is empty, we could always store dry food there if need be. I really like the office option and it makes the home-office deduction for taxes a little easier as it's a physically separate space.

I just have to keep the wife working in our retirement. I guess I'm like a pimp....she enjoys working and I enjoy the money