Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #1
Site Team

Another Tire Question

I have a tire question on the G614 tires on my Redwood. The tires are to be inflated to 110 psi cold. But what is cold??

If I inflate to 110 psi when the outside temperature is 70 degrees and run down the road the pressure will rise to about 120 psi or so (I do have a tire pressure monitor).

If on the other hand I inflate to 110 psi when the outside temperature is 30 degrees and head South to warmer temperatures the pressure will go higher than 120?? Seems like the pressure could be too high in some circumstances?? What is too high???
Old 11-28-2013, 12:28 AM   #2

Cold is basically before they have been run. I agree with you, that depending on how warm or cold it is when you inflate your tire will affect how high the pressure will be when going down the road, or with a substantial increase in outside temperature. According to the tire people, inflate your tire when it is cold (hasn't been on the road yet) and unless there is some indication that it low on pressure, don't change it until the next time you check pressure. I spend the summer in SD. & winter in S. Texas. When I do tires before we leave in late October, the temp could be in the high 30"s or less. When we get to Texas, the temp can be in the 90"S. It can be the opposite when we head north. I have tire pressure monitors, and unless I show low tire pressure, I do not change it. Have always done it this way and have never had a problem.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt View Post
I have a tire question on the G614 tires on my Redwood. The tires are to be inflated to 110 psi cold. But what is cold??

If I inflate to 110 psi when the outside temperature is 70 degrees and run down the road the pressure will rise to about 120 psi or so (I do have a tire pressure monitor).

If on the other hand I inflate to 110 psi when the outside temperature is 30 degrees and head South to warmer temperatures the pressure will go higher than 120?? Seems like the pressure could be too high in some circumstances?? What is too high???
I agree, in extreme circumstances - like going from hot to cold environments (or visa versa) - temp. changes could lead to under and over inflation respectively. When I do this, I check my inflation at regular intervals (after allowing the tires to sit for 5-10 minutes) and generally try to keep the pressure at 5 or 6 psi above the recommended cold inflation pressure. In my mind, with the tires still "warm" there is room for them to expand a little more (say to 10 psi above cold) and room to contract back to the recommended cold psi..

As far as I know, tire manufacturers do not have recommended "running" psi but wonder why
Perhaps the folks at TIRERACK.com could answer this question. They have a chat tool and have been very helpful to me in the past.

Hope this helps a little.
2011 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn 6.7L TD, SRW, 4X4.

Oregonbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Thanks for your replies. I am thinking the best thing is to keep an eye on the monitor and keep running pressure at a maximum of about 120 psi.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

If you are on a trip that is straight through I dont's think changing the pressure at every stop is necessary. If however you stay is an area for a time (week plus) go ahead and pump up or down. I've run motorhomes for many years and only adjust when I get there. (If necessary) But check every day. My first fifth is a 36rl that only travels minimally, and now I check before it moves. I think if pressure is a concern, add monitors for peace of mind. I will next year.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #6

Truckers run from freezing Canada to hot southern Tx. and just make sure their tires aren't low. They don't let air out as they get into a warmer climate. I agree if you are going to remain in an area with a substantial temp difference you may want to adjust but otherwise leave alone.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #7

I have asked this question to several different tire folks, as my GM tire monitors has shown the tire pressures increase up to 20% when they "heat up" and I get warnings on the dash (makes me a little nervous). They have all said the tires are designed to flex with temps/pressure.
They know more then I.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:24 AM   #8

Too many other things to worry about. As long as they weren't overinflated when 1st ckecked or come up low, no worry.