Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2017, 03:12 AM   #1

Another reason not to go to Tiara

Some of you probably saw my earlier post a few days ago where I told you about my RW being broken into while at Tiara RV in Elkhart, IN. About two weeks ago I scheduled an appointment to have the door repaired where they had pried it open. I told them I would be there waiting when they opened and I was. I told them my wife and I was going to make a day of it and we spent the day at Shipsewanna. I told my wife about 2:30 that we should be heading back to see if they had it done. When we arrived we saw it setting outside and we thought that we would be on our way home shortly. Wrong. When I walked in I asked the service manager how it was going and she said "We haven't done anything with it yet. But they will have it done by the time their quitting time arrives at 4:30." So by quitting time they had decided that it would be best to just put a new door on it, which has to be painted due to the full body paint job that is on the rest of the trailer. The only thing that they got done on it was to hang a TV in the living area which had been stolen. I'm seriously thinking about taking it to Colerain in Indianapolis to see if they can help me out.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
Some of you probably saw my earlier post a few days ago where I told you about my RW being broken into while at Tiara RV in Elkhart, IN. About two weeks ago I scheduled an appointment to have the door repaired where they had pried it open. I told them I would be there waiting when they opened and I was. I told them my wife and I was going to make a day of it and we spent the day at Shipsewanna. I told my wife about 2:30 that we should be heading back to see if they had it done. When we arrived we saw it setting outside and we thought that we would be on our way home shortly. Wrong. When I walked in I asked the service manager how it was going and she said "We haven't done anything with it yet. But they will have it done by the time their quitting time arrives at 4:30." So by quitting time they had decided that it would be best to just put a new door on it, which has to be painted due to the full body paint job that is on the rest of the trailer. The only thing that they got done on it was to hang a TV in the living area which had been stolen. I'm seriously thinking about taking it to Colerain in Indianapolis to see if they can help me out.

Greg C.,

Sorry to hear about your experiences with Tiara RV. Also, it is sad to hear about what is going on in that area around Tiara with all the break-ins and vandalism.

I am a former customer of Tiara RV in that I ordered and took ownership of my 2012 Redwood 36RL from Tiara RV in September of 2011. At the time it was my opinion that Tiara RV seemed to be one of the better RV dealers in the business. I remember their salesman at the time telling me they had to remove the TV's from their display coaches to help prevent break-ins for stealing the TV's. It appears they are still having that problem. It seems strange to me that they are still having that issue and, even after 6 years, they haven't done more to improve security.

I am somewhat surprised that you were even able to get an appointment with the service department for Tiara. Several weeks ago in early May, I tried to contact their service department via their online "contact messaging" link to make an appointment for some repair issues related to the gray and galley tanks which I am unable to do myself. I waited a week for a response and received none. So, I tried calling three times and each time was direct to the service department voicemail where I left a message to call me. It has been several weeks and I have never received a call from their service department.

After reading your previous post about the vandalism, I had concern about taking my RW to the Tiara facility and leaving it there for any length of time if it was just going to sit out on their service lot. Also, after not receiving any response to my request for contact in several weeks, I have found a mobile repair service that I will be taking my RW to their location and see if I can get the work done that I need to get done. This whole situation seems rather sad and strange to me relative to the lack of response to a request for service.

Good luck with working Colerain RV in Indy. I have heard good comments about them so hopefully that will work out for you.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:10 AM   #3

Your comments are exactly what my experience has been like. I can say that I called them several times and and always went to voicemail. When we bought ours we also thought the sales people were great to work with, but once we took possession and tried to get some warranty work done on it, it was darn near impossible to get hold of anyone. It also seems like they take care of walk-ins before they do appointments. There was a fellow there that had arrived just before we did and the lady told me they would get to me after they took care of him. Also we learned when we got there that they had another case of vandalism this past weekend. They weren't stealing stuff, just tearing stuff up. By the way hoosierguy, where are you located in Indiana?
Old 06-08-2017, 02:32 AM   #4

I used Tiara last June for warranty work, and they sold me and installed the 6.5 Onan.. At that time it was a little tough getting in touch with them, but I was persistent.
I arrived bright and early the day of my appointment, and asked them to call as soon as they were done as I needed to get to Morryde that afternoon so they could get all the measurements...
The service mgr called me right after noon stating I was all done.. I went back, got the scoop on how to run the genny, hooked up and left.
I couldn't be happier with the outcome of my visit, but that was only me...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #5

There was a guy that I assume was the service manager, named Scott, that we had always dealt with and when we arrived Tues morning we found out that he had left Tiara for another job. He always seemed to get things done for us but even then it was still hard to get through to them to get in and get things done.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C. View Post
Your comments are exactly what my experience has been like. I can say that I called them several times and and always went to voicemail. When we bought ours we also thought the sales people were great to work with, but once we took possession and tried to get some warranty work done on it, it was darn near impossible to get hold of anyone. It also seems like they take care of walk-ins before they do appointments. There was a fellow there that had arrived just before we did and the lady told me they would get to me after they took care of him. Also we learned when we got there that they had another case of vandalism this past weekend. They weren't stealing stuff, just tearing stuff up. By the way hoosierguy, where are you located in Indiana?

Scott was the service manager in 2011 and seemed to be a very good fellow. Sorry to hear he is gone.

It is a shame how little attention RV dealers actually give to running a good service center. It must be the old 80/20 rule........about 80% give no attention to good customer service and 20% may give a little attention to good customer service.

I am located south of Fort Wayne about 15 miles.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #7

Scott was the Service manager last year when I got the Onan install and warranty work done.. He was harder than the President to get a hold of, Most of my contact was with Miranda. . .
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #8

There is a girl in there now that is named Alyssa. Tues. when I was there she said when we left that she would e-mail an estimate on getting the door fixed on our RW. As of today we haven't seen it and I don't imagine I will see it.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #9

I've never had service work completed by Tiara RV, but I have ordered parts from them. They were very knowledgeable, helpful, and prompt. My parts arrived professionally packed, and in the timeframe they had stated when I placed the order. I couldn't be more pleased with them! I placed my last order about a year ago.

Bob
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:27 AM   #10

We bought our new 2017 RW from Tiarra last Nov. Jim Schmucker, in sales, was very accommodating and we felt their service department staff were very helpful. Fast forward to spring of this year and we had to be more persistent with service, but like many RV dealers in the north, this is the busiest time of year. We finally were able to make an appointment this spring for some warranty work, but not all of it was completed and we drove off. According to their newspaper, there were nearly 20 thousand job openings in Elkhart County alone reported last fall. That said, there's a lot of competition to retain and hire good employees. Am sorry to see they lost Scott, however; Alyssa seemed very competent to handle work orders. Tiarra is located off the main frontage road and defending against vandalism is not an easy task, nor have they gotten a lot of help from authorities. Thoughts are, that the vandals are actually local drug dealers. Either way, none of this puts a good light on safety, especially when it's your unit. It's discouraging for any of us that had or are still using Tiarra RV, but I think in this situation, the owner needs to step up their game and deal with the problems; safety, security and service.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #11

We also bought our RW from Jim Schmucker and we were very pleased with the way we were treated by the sales staff. Up until last tuesday we had been pleased with the service we had recieved from the service dept. but when I had made an appointment two weeks prior and take a day of work to take it up there only to find out when we returned that afternoon that they hadn't touched it yet really made me mad. To update the situation I contacted Colerain RV on Indy's southside and they aren't taking any new work on RV's that they didn't sell. But they gave me two Mobile RV services that they recommended so we will probably contact them and see how that goes. The supposedly will take care of warranty work. Any thoughts and opinions on this would be appreciated.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #12

I understand and I'd view things the same way. I hope you voiced your complaint to Jim. Although he is not the owner, I believe he has some clout when it comes to legitimate dis-satisfactions. Tiara should seek to repair the trust with you and apologize and then make things right. Tiara also needs to "beef up" their security or relocate. As far mobile techs, there are some good and some that are sub-par. Do what you can to investigate their service satisfaction reports.
Fusion backup monitor
Old 06-25-2017, 03:08 AM   #13

An update about my situation with Tiara. I happened to be in the area and stopped by to talk to the service manager about getting my RW fixed. I found out that her e-mails had not been delivered to me. I use AOL and because of a filter that AOL uses they were undelivered. When she sent me an e-mail on my gmail account it went through. So this could be part of the reason that I was unable to communicate via e-mail. Also they were very cooperative in getting me an estimate for the work on my RW. They said it would take three days to do the work and they assured me that it would be inside their shop the entire time. Also they told me they caught the person that was responsible for the break ins so hopefully that will take care of the problems they were having with theft and vandalism. So things have taken a turn in the right direction and I look forward to getting my coach fixed and get on with enjoying it.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #14

And I assume you dumped AOL for a more reliable system!
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:50 PM   #15

Glad to learn that you've made contact with Tiara and they will address the issues with your RW and while keeping it indoors. Regarding the culprit responsible for the break ins, Tiara had suspected that the thefts might be related to individuals needing cash for drugs. Whatever the case, Tiara still needs to account for better security or else they'll be watching replays. Hopefully, you'll be pleased with the service and repairs. Good luck!
Fusion backup monitor
Old 09-23-2017, 08:35 AM   #16

Tiara

I have had two bad times with Tiara, the first I ordered some drawer slides from them, when they arrived they only had the one part that attached to the drawer, missing the part that attached to the cabinet. I contacted them and after a long time I received the part that connected to the cabinet but they were the wrong size. After several calls I finally received the right part. The next time I called for parts was to replace the U shaped wiper blade for the kitchen slide. They wanted over $400 dollars to just ship it, I found the same gasket on Amazon, free shipping and a lot lower price. They have lost my business.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #17

We are taking our RW back to have the slide's worked on this week. They had it one other time but the slides worked fine while they had it, but as soon as I got it home about the third time we brought them in they quit working. So after contacting customer service they told to take it back and this time contact them and let them know that it is there. So we will see if it gets done.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo9350 View Post
I have had two bad times with Tiara, the first I ordered some drawer slides from them, when they arrived they only had the one part that attached to the drawer, missing the part that attached to the cabinet. I contacted them and after a long time I received the part that connected to the cabinet but they were the wrong size. After several calls I finally received the right part. The next time I called for parts was to replace the U shaped wiper blade for the kitchen slide. They wanted over $400 dollars to just ship it, I found the same gasket on Amazon, free shipping and a lot lower price. They have lost my business.
$400 to ship something that weighed less than one pound. Something isn't right.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:06 AM   #19

It's not the weight for the reason they wanted so much for shipping. It is in a tube 14' long, it can't be bent so they claimed it had to be shipped by a truck. UPS brought it on a truck as well, not the normal UPS trucks you see running around, they had a flat bed truck deliver this, but like I said with Amazon it was free shipping. I felt Tiara was way off base trying to charge me that much. They wanted $130.25 for the seal and over $200 shipping. I said in my post was $400 but was thinking of the total charge being that with item + shipping + tax. I paid $172 for it with Amazon, but felt the difference of what Tiara wanted for shipping was well worth going with Amazon.