Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #1

Another AC question

In the high 80's so not to bad but noticed last night another AC issue. Had both running at night and we have the FL so rear bedroom. Bedroom and bath by morning were in the high 70's or into the 80's but kitchen and living were at 68 were I set it.
So not sure what's going on.
I shut off front AC and shut bathroom door for a few hours. Now the bedroom and bath were at 68 so rear AC is working.
All I can think of is a ducting issue that I can't see.
Has anyone tried to section off front and rear ducts to allow it to work more like seperate zones?
Are both units tied into both left and right ducts or do they have a designated side?

Steve
Old 09-10-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

I have the 39MB. All return ducts are in living room kitchen area. Distribution in both ends. If I close door to bedroom no air returns from bedroom. It is quite a balancing act to get entire unit to cool evenly. Pay attention to where your returns are. I've noticed that even when return filters are clean it still seems to starve for air, it will pull filters if you try to remove them while unit is running. It seems to want more air on intake side. Good luck. I'm still trying to figure mine out.
Pete385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #3

I have four returns. Two in bedroom area and two in the kitchen area so when bedroom or bathroom doors are closed I still have two in that area and that is why it's confusing.

Steve
Old 09-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Steve
I will check mine but I believe both are tied into the same ducting.our returns are both in the living area where the conditioners are. I have good cold air flow throughout with one or both running. A little less flow in the bedroom. I am going to add a couple returns as they pull more than they should.at 110 it still keeps the trailer at 77 where we set it but they never shutoff until evening. I had to close the vents in the living area half way to help Balance the upper and lower parts
Old 09-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #5

Steve, since you have an FL model does that mean that both of your thermostats are located in Kitchen and living area or do you have a thermostat in the bedroom area? It sounds to me like the thermostats are reading the cool air up front and shutting down. With the walls surrounding your bedroom. if there is not a thermostat then you are not getting as much air flow. Just a thought. I'm still trying to balance my temperatures thoughout my 31SL.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #6

I have a thermostat in the kitchen area and one in the bedroom. Ihave found that if I don't set my bedroom thermostat a couple of degrees cooler than the kitchen thermostat then the bedroom stays warmer. There are not as many air vents in the bedroom.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #7

Possibly thermostat since one is in front living area and one in kitchen. I have to investigate more when we get back home next week but I had thought about the thermostat location since none are in the bedroom but with both running I seemed to have warmer air blowing out in the bedroom area then in the front.

Now that I am putting more thought into this while sitting here....I do leave our AC fans on and not on auto at night for noise so I wonder if that could be bringing in warmer air. Guess I should dig out the manual.

Keep the info coming and much appreciated since I am a wood guy and not well educated on AC.

Steve
Old 09-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Steve
Mine are left on auto and high all the time. Keep them on high as on the low setting the air conditioner will ice up in hot Temps. Keeping the fans on when it cools down and the air stops will suck in whatever the temp of the outside air is
Old 09-10-2016, 11:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Steve
Mine are left on auto and high all the time. Keep them on high as on the low setting the air conditioner will ice up in hot Temps. Keeping the fans on when it cools down and the air stops will suck in whatever the temp of the outside air is
X2. I always operate on high and auto. I do have a small fan that I keep on next to the bed on my side. I love a fan blowing on me all night but the wife hates it! She just sets a pillow upright between us to deflect the breeze.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:11 PM   #10

Thank you Shane.... Fan might be the problem. Darn newbie I am!!!!
Old 09-10-2016, 11:16 PM   #11

Instead of the fan maybe put some Burt Barack on to lull you to sleep
Old 09-11-2016, 01:13 AM   #12

If there is not enough air flow, the A.C unit will ice up and then evaporator coils will freeze up and block the air flow.
Shutting the unit down and letting the evaporator thaw out then restarting the A/C unit it will put out cold air again.
The A/C unit has a freeze sensor in the evaporator coil that does not always work as it should.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #13

This year at the rally one of my minor request was to have two more supply vents installed in the bedroom. I've also got a FL model. Said there wasn't enough room in the supply ducting to place them where I wanted. While talking with the Tech, don't remember his name, but he stated that they do zone the A/C ducts, block part of it off. I've noticed that with only one unit running I don't get any air flow from one of my bedroom vents. Don't remember which one right now. I'm going to run a camera up in the vent ducting and see what's up there in the near future.
Moland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:33 AM   #14

Wow, I do not want any more vents installed in my bedroom, the bedroom and the bathroom are always the coldest rooms
I am always trying to get the cold air up front in my FL

Old 09-11-2016, 02:39 AM   #15

Bedroom was cold at the rally, wife likes it cold/cool. Agree that the front is warmer, another reason to see if the ducting is blocked for zoning. So much difference in the FL model living room layouts.
Moland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:20 PM   #16

I think that the fan mode was my main issue. No problems last night once I left on Auto.
I do still want to see what they did for zoning as mentioned above if any. I have notice left and right ducts are definitely different in air flow. I'll try and get a camera up there also before we head south but please... whoever gets to it first lets here and see what you found.

Steve
Old 09-12-2016, 06:08 AM   #17

AC Problems

Once again, we are discussing a HUGE issue for RW. Poorly designed AC.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
Once again, we are discussing a HUGE issue for RW. Poorly designed AC.
I would agree

Old 09-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #19

Even though our rig had AC issues resolved at the factory it is still not up to what I would expect in this unit.

Are there any options on were to report issues besides RW that would force a Recall on failed systems??? I hope RW is listening and corrects this in the future but unfortunately we are the ones who pay the price for their lack of design. I would like to give a big kick wright were it hurts to most all the engineers at RW. I am willing to bet they have never owned an RV.

Steve
Old 09-13-2016, 12:28 AM   #20

AC issues

Steve, you and I are both disappointed. A class action suit might possibly get their attention. But then there is the question of how may RW owners would join in. I am amazed as some seem to be perfectly happy with a unit that will only draw the team down to 82-84* during the hot summer days. I am not. RW are not insulated very well. And they are not sealed properly either. Thus the write ups on how to insulate the nose cone.
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote