Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #21
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
The other change I am making this year is to put in a MorRyde slide out battery tray and re-do the rats nest of factory wiring.
Re: Redo factory wiring. You sir are a brave man! I'm not sure I have it in me to do that. I'm pretty handy with wiring as I've made every wiring harness you can imagine for a car, but the factory wiring leaves a lot to be desired tracing down all those wires if something doesn't work. RV wiring is an absolute nightmare. I really don't understand why they don't seem to follow any particular standard with these things...
Old 01-30-2015, 04:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
Re: Redo factory wiring. You sir are a brave man! I'm not sure I have it in me to do that. I'm pretty handy with wiring as I've made every wiring harness you can imagine for a car, but the factory wiring leaves a lot to be desired tracing down all those wires if something doesn't work. RV wiring is an absolute nightmare. I really don't understand why they don't seem to follow any particular standard with these things...
X2 on that. I sat there one day looking at the wiring and just scratched my head. I'm no electrician, but it looks more complex then it needs to be.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #23
Site Team

Guys - think about this - most of the workers on the line are Amish. Electricity is not one of their specialties .....
What I was referring to doing was straightening up, re routing, putting into plastic looms, wire ties, etc. generally making the rats nest look like a marine or aircraft installation with proper routing and reinforcement

Don't know if I'll get to that this spring or not, but it's a goal. Every time I stick my head in there I just shake it side to side and sigh.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #24
Site Team

I agree Vaughn! I feel the same way when I look behind the service wall. Last Spring I had my tools out and I was getting ready to re-work the plumbing and build cabinets behind the service wall but something came up to prevent the job from starting. Maybe this year I'll find the time and then move to the battery compartment.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #25
Site Team

At the 2013 Rally I had suggested for the factory to look at the "Peterson RV" and see where they put their batteries. Just inside the basement there's a battery trunk sunken into the floor which made the batteries easy to maintain at knee height. They also do this with the hydraulic controls so it's easy to open only one slide if you need to.

I had also suggested that they put mid-ship turn signals on these trailers. The lights that are currently mid-ship are only marker lights.