Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

AARP, Hartford Insurance

We have Hartford Insurance for our vehicles (truck & jeep). When I called to make a change on the policy, she said they will now do insurance for RVs even when you are living in the RV. The rate is much lower than what I was paying with previous company. I have double checked it with them and they answered my questions... but it almost feels too good to be true. They are quoting about $300 instead of just over $1,000... what am I missing?

Anyone have experience with them for insurance when Full-timing?

2014 38RL, 2014 RAM Dually and Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Loving Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #2

We looked into them after we got our 1st RW and they wouldn't cover it because the cost/value of the RW was above their limit.
I would double and triple check and make sure you're comparing Apples to Apples.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
We looked into them after we got our 1st RW and they wouldn't cover it because the cost/value of the RW was above their limit.
I would double and triple check and make sure you're comparing Apples to Apples.

Yes, they had told us No 2 years ago. She said they had new regulations. It seems to be for the same coverage and replacement value--no depreciation.

I am planning to call one more time, in case the other 2 people weren't fully knowledgeable.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:16 AM   #4

Let us know if they confirm that rate. We're presently with Progressive and like you a little over a grand for full replacement. Would love to have the same coverage for less than a third the cost.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 10-23-2018, 03:15 AM   #5

I called Hartford again this morning, this is the 3rd call to confirm. I went through my previous policy and compared it with them. I repeated multiple times, "we live in it" and I want full replacement, no depreciated. All have given me the same information. Hopefully, I'm not missing something. Let me know if they tell you anything different.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:22 AM   #6

I went through their web site last night putting in all the info for a quote, got to the end and to get a quote I had to call their phone number. Wasn't up to talking to anyone at that time. Maybe in a couple of weeks when we're settled in for the winter and I have more time I try again.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #7

I have the Hartford insurance.

I have had this insurance for many years. They are great to deal with. I have a 2016 36 rl. List 128.900 they covered it for around the 300 no. Your not missing anything. They are a great company. Had two claims in. A two month period. For aver $13,000 I’m still their.
nancy john 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:29 AM   #8
Site Team

Just applied for coverage on line and got same message as Michelle. Please call and speak to repertory complete the quote.
Will call tomorrow.

One question- at least online it didn't mention anything about replacement coverage. Just asked purchase and current value.

Will update what they quote. Current quote from progressive for fulltime in about $1140.00
Old 11-14-2018, 03:11 PM   #9

Insurance coverage

Just called Hartford Ins. As always, quotes require giving an immense amount of personal info. Besides becoming a member of AARP, which I have little value for, they also require carrying all of our vehicles. Our vehicles are bundled under our current homeowners policy with another company, so what we'd lose with one bundle, we'd have to make up with the other. We have a clean history with no liens, yet the premiums were considerably higher and with less actual coverage. We don't full-time, but do winter for 5 months concurrently and store our RW during the other 7 months. We currently have Progressive on our RW. Bottom line, Hartford may be a great company, but they're not even close to being competitive given the fact that our history is spotless.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #10

Well I actually followed thru with them last week. Kept saying I wanted a Full Timers policy and kept getting assured that's what they would quote.
Well the quote was just a little better than what we have with Progressive, BUT it was just the basic Collision and Comprehensive, no Liability, full replacement cost, or Full Timers policy. I even asked about Home Owners for our Home Base up North that's currently insured as a Seasonal Residence since we only spend a few months during the Summer. Hartford said they can't cover a Seasonal Residence so.................
So much for saving tons of money, guess we'll stay where we are.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #11
Site Team

Same as Michelle. Ultimately I wound up putting coach and vehicles through Foremost. We changed states and when I called Progressive they said they had to write a new policy. Lost my discounts and then went shopping. Apples to apples Foremost was less $$$ overall.