Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #21

Added a 3rd a/c, now 36FL gets down to 70. Wife happy!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifRaff View Post
Added a 3rd a/c, now 36FL gets down to 70. Wife happy!
Where did you put the third A/C, is it between the two existing units? How difficult was it to integrate it into the existing ductwork or did you add additional ducts?
Old 06-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I have found that the a/c works better if the max fans are off and the roof vents are closed
Thats what I'm finding too, at first I thought it would help pull the warm air out helping to cool but what I've noticed is that the coach just won't get as cool as you would expect with the fans running and vents open.

Who knew???
Old 06-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by marandjwr View Post
we are paying 15.6 cents per KW which is highway robbery since the campground, according to Alabama Power, is only being charged 7.6!
I work on the road so we sometimes have to pay for power separate and sometimes it is included. I have been told by many places that it is illegal for them to charge more than they are charged. You can not make a profit by re-selling the power.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #25
Site Team

unlike in a car, these trailers draw warm air from within the unit and then cools it very much like a house. If the vents are open they suck the air from outside through the vents.

You wouldn't consider opening a window while cooling down a house
Old 06-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #26

So my bad sort of on my post last night. I think after the 12 hour drive down here my brain was pretty shot.

Oriana - Based on my information from the factory you are exactly correct. A 2012 36FL would have the thermostat and a/c units wired as you say and they switched to wiring them the way my is now sometime the beginning of this year. Will be interesting to confirm this in person at the factory during the rally.

About my coach being so hot last night a few follow up things.

(1) I really don't know when the a/c was turned on since Lazydays moved it from storage to the spot at the campground at some point but I don't know when exactly. Could have been an hour before I arrived.

(2) Due to driver fatigue I didn't bother to grab my glasses and actually look at the thermostat in the bedroom last night until after I posted. Actually only the front a/c unit was running since they plugged it in but because of the shared ducting there was airflow from all vents.

(3) After turning the back a/c unit on POOF tons more air flow all around.

(4) Today its 90 in Tampa, both a/c are running on hi set to 65, with 3 of the 4 vents closed off in the bedroom to try to push as much air forward, the awning extended and all the day blinds + some of the night blinds down, the bedroom thermostat reads 68 and the kitchen 74. The FL area is a little warmer then the rest but still very comfortable and the bedroom reminds me of a nice comfy cool computer room so I'm lov'n it!

(5) Too make the issue a little more difficult I've also been in and out of the coach a bunch loading provisions and setting things, but I have been very careful to keep the doors closed as much as possible.

If the a/c units can keep the coach comfortable today I'm a believer that it certainly can be used in Florida in the summer.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #27
Site Team

I'm glad to hear that your Redwood is cooling down. One mistake I made when I first got mine, was that I had left the basement door open while I was waxing. This was about the same as leaving a window open because it really effected the a/c.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #28

Interesting, thanks for the tip. I've had it open most of the day loading stuff in.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #29

X2 Dave on leaving the basement door open, my grandson has watching TV there all day & bedroom up top is considerably warmer even with that thermostat set 4 degrees cooler, but it keeps him occupied! !
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #30

Sorry for the SLOW REPLY, the unit is in the LR. Directly between the TV and the recliners.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #31

I am now having issues with the MAIN A/C. Motor is very noisy. DW insisted in running heat pump in the 20-40 temp range for heat, so looks like I may be replacing the unit this summer. The heat exchange unit according to the manufacture may be damaged if forced to run continuos at low temps, seems as if they were right!
Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaltman View Post
So interesting story with the thermostats and A/C units in our 2015 38FL. I think this only applies to FL models.

Before taking delivery we spent the night in the unit and nearly froze ourselves out because the bedroom A/C would not shut off. No matter what temp we set in the bedroom the A/C continued to run even though it was freezing in the bedroom and hot in the front living area.

Took a little while to figure out but turns out RW wired the front A/C unit to the bedroom thermostat and the bedroom A/C unit to the thermostat in the kitchen. Long story re: heat pump, location of living area blah blah blah, but in the end it was confirmed that our unit was built in January of 2015 and sometime in February or March RW stopped doing that. Our dealer ended up swapping A/C units because of the heat pump and rewiring the thermostats to make it all work the way it should. Ultimately the service manager at the dealer said, yup this was the second coach they had to do that with.

Now that all said, I just finally got back, after a month away, to our coach which has been in Florida and both A/C's have been running all day with it being 95+ outside and the inside has only now (about 9pm) gotten below 80 according to the thermostat.

This is concerning me because no matter if the thermostat is accurate or not, it was very warm inside. I haven't yet had a chance to track down what I should expect and if this will really be livable in a place like Florida in the summer. Perhaps it just won't work in such hot temps or perhaps there are larger A/C units that one can get.
We are picking up our 38FL tomorrow at Lazy Days in Tampa, this is great info, I will check and see how our thermostats are wired up and get them corrected is there is a issue.
We will be staying at Lazy Days a few days moving in, testing and verifying that everything is right before we leave.
When we went down to Tampa last weekend, and spent time looking over the coach, I did notice the thermostat mounted on the pantry by the dinning table shows a cool and heat setting and the thermostat on the TV cabinet by the front stairs only shows a cool setting.
I assumed the rear cool / heat thermostat worked the rear unit and the front cool only thermostat worked the front unit.
Sure hopes this coach does a good job cooling in the Florida sun / heat as about a week after we pick up our coach, we are heading South to Ft Myers Florida for about 3 weeks to train a new local tech.

Thanks, Robert
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #33

Oriana, We too have the 2013 36RL and it seems the bedroom operates the whole RV. Rarely shuts off. Our thermostats do not seem to work....we can set it on 76 and it will continue to run even if the indoor temp is 72. We told our dealer about the problem and thought they fixed it, but last camping trip proved otherwise.
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:22 AM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEileen View Post
Oriana, We too have the 2013 36RL and it seems the bedroom operates the whole RV. Rarely shuts off. Our thermostats do not seem to work....we can set it on 76 and it will continue to run even if the indoor temp is 72. We told our dealer about the problem and thought they fixed it, but last camping trip proved otherwise.

The thermostats aren't very accurate. I have found the best results from keeping the fan switches tuned to "Run" instead of "automatic". Otherwise I find that the a/c works in extreme measures. They are too late in starting and then run too long. This allows the temperature to fluctuate too much.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:39 AM   #35

We bought our 2013 RW36FL in March of 2014. Picked up in Eugene, Oregon nice and cool in the mountain terrain. Had to use the fireplace many nights on trip to home in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. When we got home and set up, it took about a month for the temperature to start climbing in Mississippi. I noticed the after A/C was not cooling like the forward unit. But hoping it would fix it's self did not work. It was time to put the warranty to test. After many dealer excuses for how long they wanted to keep the RV which I was not willing to leave if they could not diagnose my problem. I finally called a dealer in Hammond, Louisiana called Berryland. The service rep I talked to, said bring it in and he would have someone check it out and let me know if they may need parts to complete the repair. As we waited about 2 hours I asked if they had found anything wrong with the unit. The reply was that they had found a bad control board and the RV would be ready for the trip home shortly. Warranty covered all cost and both A/C units can cool temps to low 70' s or high 60's in this hot humid Mississippi weather. I hope this may help in your search for the cause of not enough cold air.
Joel and Janis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:43 AM   #36

Thanks for all the feedback, tomorrow is transfer / pickup day for our 38FL, I will let yall know it goes.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:45 AM   #37

Joel and Janis,

First...I see this is your first post, welcome to the Redwood forum.

Thanks for the good outcome report on your A/C's, glad to know the system worked for you even though you had to go the extra step to find a dealer who cared.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel and Janis View Post
We bought our 2013 RW36FL in March of 2014. Picked up in Eugene, Oregon nice and cool in the mountain terrain. Had to use the fireplace many nights on trip to home in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. When we got home and set up, it took about a month for the temperature to start climbing in Mississippi. I noticed the after A/C was not cooling like the forward unit. But hoping it would fix it's self did not work. It was time to put the warranty to test. After many dealer excuses for how long they wanted to keep the RV which I was not willing to leave if they could not diagnose my problem. I finally called a dealer in Hammond, Louisiana called Berryland. The service rep I talked to, said bring it in and he would have someone check it out and let me know if they may need parts to complete the repair. As we waited about 2 hours I asked if they had found anything wrong with the unit. The reply was that they had found a bad control board and the RV would be ready for the trip home shortly. Warranty covered all cost and both A/C units can cool temps to low 70' s or high 60's in this hot humid Mississippi weather. I hope this may help in your search for the cause of not enough cold air.

Welcome to the group!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #39

Welcome to the Forum!

Was it a bad board in the AC itself? or in the thermostat?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #40

New Member to Forum

Want to thank everyone for the nice welcome comments.

Reply to Atom Ant's question on which control board caused the A/C not to cool. I was told by service, it was the A/C unit control board. Also this was a problem they see quite often.
Joel and Janis is offline   Reply With Quote