Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 06:15 PM   #1

50amp Fusion Transfer Box

Happy New Year Everyone, all of a sudden this morning, D\W noticed a humming noise from up front that almost sounded like the fresh water pump running, got so excited that I ran outside to check only to have my wife holler honey you are in your underwear and only then did I realize I was in my boxer shorts I did go in and put shorts on. Upon checking found it to be the transfer box that was making the noise.
I tried shutting of the power allowing enough time for reset before turning back on and letting Surge protector due its read, before restoring power to unit, tried shutting inverter off, it came back on after a few seconds, and also ran the generator for a few moments none of which would stop the humming.
Was concerned checked and felt nothing unusually hot, the inverter on other side of wall directly behind unit has its green light on and slowly flashes about once every 4 seconds, and that is lukewarm but not hot when you touch the top of unit at back side.
Spoke to Vaughn ( Piper Guy) on the phone, and he suggested that it was more than likely a solenoid, as he remembers seeing this in a previous post.
I have a service tech coming in the morning to evaluate, but i have to give a shout out to Vaughn for putting my mind at ease after talking with him, this site is so full of people who have a lot of knowledge to share.
Looking forward to the Tampa Super Rv show this month, it will be our second year, and will be there two days this time as last year one day was just not enough to take it all in.
We appreciated everyone of you.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #2

Hello Jeff ,

Glad to hear that Vaughan helped you out !!
I agree, this website is fantastic for not only information, but also the friendships that are built !. Without it, I would not have met great folks in person like you, Karen and Vaughan.. ! . I hope your health is still good , and I wish you and Karen the best for 2017 !

Joe
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #3

Ya, I think Vaughan is right.

Iota had some serious issues with the transfer switch, to the point of recall, but I don't think I've ever heard of a common issue with Furion.

Loose terminals can also be a problem stemming from the factory, but the tech should be able to spot that.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:42 AM   #4

The tech, called from Eagle Pride Rv, and they came out this evening, he shut power off and opened the box up, checked all connections which were tight, says they will have to replace the box.
Looking inside there were two what appeared to be circuit breaker type gangs, one he said handled the shore power, the other the generator. Wrote down the information on the box, and they will now contact Redwood to authorize repair.
He says there was no danger of fire, which made me feel better.
Will update as they complete repair.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #5

OK, now don't quote me on this, but I think I read that some use AC Relay Coil and others us DC Coils. And seems the AC Coils are prone to hum at a 60 Cycle rate as a result of the 60 Cycle AC passing thru them. So just a "Nature of the Beast" type of thing.
I know that my Progressive EMS Hums, but I thought it was because it didn't know the words.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #6

A link to an interesting post on IRV2 about Automatic Transfer Switches.

Automatic transfer switch loud buzzing keeps us awake! - iRV2 Forums

Hope this helps some...

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote