Old 08-13-2014, 02:12 AM   #1

38FL A/c issues

So I've posted here before how when I got my 38FL they had my thermostats hooked backwards - i.e. bedroom thermostat to the middle a/c+heat pump and the kitchen thermostat to the a/c over the bedroom. With that the system would freeze us out in the bedroom and never shut off.

Well fixing that the problem was made much better but the bedroom still even on mildly warm days would stay 4-6 degrees cooler than the kitchen and FL area.

Looking at the vents the coach had 4 in the bedroom, 1 in the bathroom, 2 in the kitchen and 2 in the FL area. Seemed like a small amount of vents for the main area of the coach so I asked if a few more could be put in.

Well when the tech got the drawings from the engineer it turns out the engineer spec'd 2 vents in the bedroom, 2 in the bath, 4 in the kitchen and 2 in the FL area. The vents in the coach weren't installed correctly either which could account for the difference in temperatures in the rooms.

RW corrected the problem today and I now have 4 in the bedroom, 1 in the bath, 4 in the kitchen and 4 in the FL area. That's a few more than I should have but I can easily close some off to help balance the air flow.

I have confidence now that the a/c can be controlled better and I should have even temps through out.

I'd be interested to know how many other 38FL owners have the same vent issue.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:25 AM   #2

Awesome Ken, another amazing success story of Redwood/Crossroads Service Department!!
Old 08-13-2014, 03:10 AM   #3

Due to the Florida heat I have already done a similar mod to our 38FL, as the vent layout and location made no sense to me and there was not enough air flow where it needed to be.

I bought and added 3 vents in the Kitchen / Front Living area, I now have 4 vents in the Front Living area, 3 in the kitchen area, 1 in the bathroom and 2 in the bedroom.
We now have 5 vents on each (left and right) front to rear a/c trunk line for a total of 10 vents, seems better balanced and cooling is much more even.

I guess I should be working for Redwood !!!

My list of mods to our Redwood is getting pretty long, today I fixed the rear sewer line connection today.
It hangs way too low and I wanted to put a shutoff valve on the hose connection / exit so I would not get poop dumped on me when removing the cap and connecting the sewer hose.
Now it is rotated a little higher and the shutoff valve fits great.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksaltman View Post
Well when the tech got the drawings from the engineer it turns out the engineer spec'd 2 vents in the bedroom, 2 in the bath, 4 in the kitchen and 2 in the FL area.

The vents in the coach weren't installed correctly either which could account for the difference in temperatures in the rooms.

I'd be interested to know how many other 38FL owners have the same vent issue.
So does the shop floor even read the engineer's drawings and specs of just stick the vents anywhere?

Why is Redwood paying a design engineer if they are not going to follow his drawings and layouts ?

Old 08-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

I am very interested on how you installed the additional vents. We have a 2012 36FL and the living room is always 8 degrees warmer than the rest of the coach; the kitchen is OK except on real hot days and the bedroom and bathroom are the coldest in the coach. I think additional vents in the living room as well as an additional return vent in the living room may fix the issue. Please provide your instructions to coljdm60@gmail.com. I appreciate your assistance and thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #6

Sounds like a great fix.(Add more vents) I would love to do that to our coach. My only fear is that it would be hard to find the ceiling supports and miss them when putting a hole in the ceiling. I guess the solution would be to drop a light and measure over. Our RL will freeze you in the couch area when both units are running and the bed room is just not receiving enough flow. I thought it was because of the two airs being located over the living and kitchen areas and not a lack of vents up front. Where did you get the additional vents?
Old 08-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLJDM View Post
I am very interested on how you installed the additional vents. We have a 2012 36FL and the living room is always 8 degrees warmer than the rest of the coach; the kitchen is OK except on real hot days and the bedroom and bathroom are the coldest in the coach. I think additional vents in the living room as well as an additional return vent in the living room may fix the issue. Please provide your instructions to coljdm60@gmail.com. I appreciate your assistance and thanks in advance.
I second this. I have the 38BR with the office option and there's only 1 vent in the office. When I close the office door to work it can reach mid 80's back here. Gets pretty warm.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #8

I didn't do my install RW did, so can't give details on that but will be blocking 2 of the 4 vents I have in my bedroom and will post details how I do that.

Good luck with the install.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:11 AM   #9

Pictures of the A/C Vents I added

Vent Location 1.pdf

I measured the same amount back from the ceiling connector rib at the other vents installed at the factory (approx. 4 Inches) and measured from the sidewall to the vent the same as the other (vents approx. 30 Inches) then sawed a hole in the ceiling.
The rectangular A/C duct is about 1 inch behind the Ceiling Wallboard and runs almost the full length of the coach.

Vent Location 1.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vent Layout 2.pdf (286.2 KB, 33 views)

Old 08-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
Pictures of the A/C Vents I added

Attachment 444

I measured the same amount back from the ceiling connector rib at the other vents installed at the factory (approx. 4 Inches) and measured from the sidewall to the vent the same as the other (vents approx. 30 Inches) then sawed a hole in the ceiling.
The rectangular A/C duct is about 1 inch behind the Ceiling Wallboard and runs almost the full length of the coach.

Attachment 444
How did you connect into the existing duct work?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote