Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2019, 01:03 AM   #1

25 ft 30 amp extension cord from lifesupplyusa wired incorectly

I bought a lifesupplyusa “25 Feet RV Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle 30 Amp 10-Gauge 10AWG*3 10/3 125V STW TT30P/TT30R 25ft” from Amazon. I have discovered that the one of the plugs is wired incorrectly, the hot wire and the neutral wire are not crossed. I discovered this when my 50 amp RV electric system was not operating correctly, and I checked voltage readings and had 120V between ground and neutral, not neutral and hot. It was lucky I did not get electrocuted or cause damage to my RV (this is actually not proved yet). I checked continuity on the plugs and had no continuity when checking hot to hot or neutral to neutral. There was continuity ground to ground and neutral to hot. I hope my extension cord is the only one out there.

I contacted lifesupplyusa and they are shipping me a new one. Hope this one is correct!
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:53 AM   #2

Why didn't you order a 50 amp extension cord? Or the 30 to 50 dogbone adapter? The adapter would have been MUCH cheaper than the 30 amp cord.
Hopefully connected with a 50 surge protector/ems, portable or hardwired, EVERY time you are connected to either 50 or 30 amp power source.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:45 PM   #3

I have a 30 amp RV box at my house that I installed many years ago before 50 amp was even heard of. I already have the 30-50 adapter plug. Last October when I parked the 5th wheel alongside my driveway the ground was a little soupy and I couldn't get close enough to the box, hence the need for the extra 25 feet.
robkathybat is offline   Reply With Quote