Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

2015 39MB Island Sink

My Dw wants me to replace the kitchen faucet, looking between the shelf above dishwasher and back of cabinet, I can see all of the water lines and fittings, but wandering does back of cabinet separate in the middle section, sure would make it easier to reach under side of faucet fittings and all lines, or how do you get to fittings below fixture which is behind the sink.
Do you just have to mutter some Japanese words and suck it up and loosen and tighten the best way you can?
All comments appreciated.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
My Dw wants me to replace the kitchen faucet, looking between the shelf above dishwasher and back of cabinet, I can see all of the water lines and fittings, but wandering does back of cabinet separate in the middle section, sure would make it easier to reach under side of faucet fittings and all lines, or how do you get to fittings below fixture which is behind the sink.
Do you just have to mutter some Japanese words and suck it up and loosen and tighten the best way you can?
All comments appreciated.
I told the DW that if I were 3' tall, arms 6' long with 2 more joints & 1 eye I could place anywhere I needed to see better changing that faucet would have been piece of cake, but as I'm not built like it was a PITA, but it is possible with more than a few of those Japanese words. If the back panel were removable it would be a very easy job.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #3

Danny, thank you for the humorous response, you made my DW and myself chuckle this morning.
Figured as much, when looking at it, I have cleaned the tip and solved some of her problems with it however there is a pesky little seepage leak at the handle that has been addressed before with RV repair facility, a wash towel draped around it keeps counter dry. Other than that it works fine but you I'm sure know from experience, DW she would prefer a nicer faucet.
I will try getting a rebuild kit for handle and see if that works before reaching up there with as you described Midget body, triple jointed limbs, maybe even have my arms stretched to hang below my knees, and break out the old Japanese book on word choices and replace.

We also have a wood working shop here at TGO with some talented individuals working there, I will talk to some of them and see if there is a way to remove that center back cabinet with a fine cutting Japanese wood saw, (yes )there is such a thing, if that can be done successfully it could then be put back on with screws from interior, of course you would have to remove dishwasher to properly secure, but it would if feasible solve any problems that would arise in future to be easily accessed from back of cabinet.
That panel in middle is perfect for such thoughtfulness on RV makers part on construction of these Island center cabinets.
Your comments were greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #4

Honestly, once I removed the cabinet doors the worst part was reaching the nut/nuts that held the new faucet down to the cabinet, the water lines (once I had all the proper fittings) wasn't bad. It can be done, hopefully only once & the new faucet is by far 110% better quality than the OEM.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #5

Morning Danny, beautiful day here in Florida 69 deg, anyway I will try the rebuild first, but looking at it again for removal, I see where you say tightening the fixture down to the cabinet and attaching water lines were a bit challenging but doable, was wondering if attaching the water lines first letting them drop down from counter top to sight, then using another fitting to hook up would be easier, but would attaching that way make it harder to secure faucet base fittings.
Will have to look at a replacement set and see how much room there is between lines and fittings.
Don't really want extra fittings due to possibility of leaks, but if it makes installation easier would be worth it if I go that route, any thoughts on this since you have done the job?
Also I will go to hardware store and see if they make an offset device for plumbing fixtures that would reach up behind sinks when working blind. I have a feeling if I replace this one she will start looking at the bathroom sinks and thinking wouldn't it be nice.
I am sure you know how their minds work, but that is why we love them.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #6

i replaced 2012 oem corroded faucet with a new single hole high arced Delta magnetic sprayer from lowes

had to hog out the left hole, too small, either plug hole for center arbor bit to center up with a block and use a hole saw or

or a roto zip with a grinding stone or rasp on it and a vacuum for the countertop dust could lay it out with blue masking tape to protect top a little few layers too

and used second hole for included soap dispenser

repair kits r in stock lowes their but works perfect

used my small 110v led work light to get in their to see ,took drain line under sink out and cleaned funky stuff from drain too,
enough room without cab sawing

looks factory

foundmy dreaded ice maker line shutoff in their too

karl
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #7

I believe the kitchen faucet on our 2012 36RL is a Dura brand. Took it apart and brought the pieces with me to Menard's. I purchased Delta parts and guts and made the faucet as good as new. All work was done from above the countertop. Installing our dishwasher on the other hand required below the counter top, but that wasn't too difficult.

Chris & Maria
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #8

With some very careful prying with a thin trim pry bar, I was able to remove the panel from the back of our island. (screwed from inside the side wall, inaccessible, had to pry until the screws pulled loose) I reattached with eight screws on the outside, looks good. (bronze colored, square drive, same as used in the rest of the trailer, purchased at Lowes, I think)
After replacing the faucet and improving the pull out length of the sprayer, I would not do it any other way. Some times you just have to take the chance and go for it. The new faucet uses only one of the two holes, the other now has a dish soap dispenser. DW is happy.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #9

If you could post some pics of that it sure would be nice.
I went on line to Dura, sent them pictures of faucet as the wanted to see their name on it, I was asking for the kit # to be able to rebuild control handle, they are sending me the kit covered apparently under warranty so free of charge, waiting on it to arrive, I was sure surprised when they responded favorably as the unit is a 2015 model.
I intend to rebuild the valve, but would like to see what you did as that would make replacing if needed easier, not to mention give easy access to both faucet, back of dishwasher and who knows what else it might help in future.
I'm sure there are many on this sight would be interested in your modification.
Thank you all for your responses, ain't this a great site.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:34 AM   #10

I took some pics and they are on a SD card, If someone can go over the process for posting pics, I would be happy to share them.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #11

Well kit arrived along with product information, paperwork says as long as you are the original owner of your Redwood, the faucets in your RV are covered for life.
Put parts in works great no leaks, however did notice that on two different occasions when it was under RV warranty, two different places tried to fix and instead of putting rebuild kit in, the cover cap for control valve showed signs of a wrench being put on to tighten down to the point of where it bent the ball valve extension that secures handle.
Took pics and again notified Dura and their response was new cap in the mail to you.
Good company to deal with, stand behind their products.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:21 AM   #12
Site Team

Jeff, do you happen to have the link to Dura ?
Old 11-29-2018, 05:50 PM   #13

Sure do Vaughn, customerservice@durafaucet.com lady's name was Debbie, she was very helpful, but you must make sure you take picture of troubled faucet with their Brand Name etched on it, I guess this lets them know its theirs. I also gave her the year and make of the RV, since I did not have a receipt and also address where you want parts sent to.
They replied to me very quickly, I was impressed with their service, good luck, Merry Christmas and if you need any further help, you can reach me @ 757-449-4800.