Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #1

Our coach lost partial power yesterday. We lost power to the converter, microwave, living room TV and dining room side. I can only find one GFCI which is in the bathroom. It acts like a GFCI is bad but the one in the bathroom is working. Anyone know if and where there is another GFCI?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #2

Should be several - wherever there is power within 6' of water I think. Also might be one in connection center outside.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
Site Team

The way that the "GFI" plugs are wired, all the plugs down line from the bathroom plugs are protected. I'd make sure that the bathroom plug is getting power as well as the down line plugs. If the GFI in the bathroom goes bad then all the power will be interrupted in the plugs downline.

Also flip all the circuit breakers and then turn them all back on. It will help verify that they aren't the problem. From there I'd start working outside checking the power source and working inward. When I was at the factory last summer there was a Redwood in there that they said had problems with the plug-in socket so don't forget to check that as well.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

It sure sounds like you lost one leg of the 50 amp as the converter is plugged directly into the back of the power distribution panel (at least on our '12 36RL).
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #5

With that many circuits out it doesn't,t sound like a gfi. My first guess would be that you lost one side of your power either coming in or at your fuse panel. You,ve got two legs that come in from the post each leg feeds different circuits in your unit. If you have a 110 v. Tester you can check each leg t the panel. If one leg is down it could be a bad breaker, a bad or burnt terminal or connection on the receptical or plug on the post, a bad main breaker in your panel, or other problems. I would find somebody who has a 110 tester if I didn't,t have one and start testing from the post to find the problem.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame
With that many circuits out it doesn't,t sound like a gfi. My first guess would be that you lost one side of your power either coming in or at your fuse panel. You,ve got two legs that come in from the post each leg feeds different circuits in your unit. If you have a 110 v. Tester you can check each leg t the panel. If one leg is down it could be a bad breaker, a bad or burnt terminal or connection on the receptical or plug on the post, a bad main breaker in your panel, or other problems. I would find somebody who has a 110 tester if I didn't,t have one and start testing from the post to find the problem.
I agree!

Lady E
TXRVProfessor&LadyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #7

Thanks to all your help. We have not moved our unit for 3 months. I found the issue. Some how the plug came partially lose where it attached to the RV. I twisted it about 1/8 of turn and power is back. I would have never thought of that spot as no one is around that area and we have had power since we parked in February. Been fulltiming since 2005 and still learning new things. Especially thank you, Dave. All for one and one for all (gee, I think I have heard that somewhere.lol).